#SaveOrShave - Fundraising Ideas - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Zyaldar

#SaveOrShave

Hey everyone!

A really cool idea was mentioned in a fellow Extra Life streamer's channel and I wanted to share this with you. If you have a majestic beard like myself, then this would be something really fun to get your friends, family, and community involved.

It's a tug-of-war between saving or shaving your beard. During your event or even before you can have people donate to you to either #SaveOrShave. At the end of the event you can count up the amount raised for each and whoever raised the most wins. I did something similar to this last year except I had a goal that if I raised $500 during one of my events then I would shave off my beard. Welll... RIP beard because that's what happened. It's a fun incentive that people would like to see especially if you rocking the best of all beards on your face.

Feel free to try this out and let us know your results! I will be attempting this in the near future once I finish my first challenge.

SaveOrShave.png

• Like 3

Awesome idea! I can see that getting really intense as the goals get closer lol

I think that's a really good concept to apply to multiple activities whether it be save or shave, what color your hair should be...anything!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBH Mokinns said:

Awesome idea! I can see that getting really intense as the goals get closer lol

I think that's a really good concept to apply to multiple activities whether it be save or shave, what color your hair should be...anything!

Basically any kind of "Bid War" or "Tug-Of-War" concept would work. When my team and I did Mario Vs. Luigi it was a pretty intense battle of people voting for their favorite one and which one that got the ice dumped on them. There are several possibilities for something like this :D

• Like 1

I also made another fun pic to go along with this tug-of-war! Feel free to use this as an idea for your tug-of-war! What's great about this is you can edit the numbers as you raise more money and it gives you a visual representation of the war! As you can see #ShaveTheBeard is currently winning :( 

12970130_10154225045947275_259085180_o.png

• Like 3

In the past couple days this tug-of-war has really become heated among friends and family! It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the marathon on the 23rd. I will keep everyone updated! 

13055262_10154245620967275_4811386282631680423_o.jpg

• Like 2

Beards aren't really my thing BUT I would not have a problem shaving my head. Like they did to Michael Jones from Rooster Teeth that one time. Great Idea!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, K8Morosky said:

@Zyaldar, how did it go?

:(  The beard was lost.....BUT kids were saved!! :)

• Like 6

Thanks for the post @CAWZY! Yeah @K8Morosky #ShaveTheBeard won! I am now baby faced >.< But t was a lot of fun! Raised a total of $607 during this campaign! 

• Like 4

I'm doing this with my head being shaved. I like this idea. Thanks @Zyaldar!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mave said:

I'm doing this with my head being shaved. I like this idea. Thanks @Zyaldar!

Of course! Make sure you take pics to share with us! 

I've also adapted this idea, but... without the shaving. I'm no bearded lady, and I'm really not the type to shave my head.

So instead, I decided to do monthly challenges, and for May it's Ice or Fire. People can donate to either make me drink a shot glass of hot sauce, or get doused in ice water.

Speaking of 'bearded lady' I was actually thinking of doing a Bizzaro Save or Shave where I have to wear a fake beard all day... Not sure if that would work.

Ice and Fire May.jpg

• Like 3

Oh dang! I can't imagine doing a shotglass of hot sauce >.< Good luck! 

The Bizarro Save or Shave would be funny! :D Great ideas and good luck @K8Morosky

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zyaldar said:

Oh dang! I can't imagine doing a shotglass of hot sauce >.< Good luck! 

The Bizarro Save or Shave would be funny! :D Great ideas and good luck @K8Morosky

Yeah, the hot sauce is currently winning, too. There's a lot less back and forth than I'd hoped for.

And, yeah, I think I will try the Bizzaro Beard thing. Maybe next month.

Unfortunately, the goal wasn't reached for my June challenge. But if at first you don't succeed...

Tomorrow is the start of a new month of trials. Here's a sneak preview of the challenge I'm starting tomorrow. Took a little bit of inspiration from family suggestions and a little inspiration from @Jamisonm's hike. Admittedly, this comes nowhere near his level of awesomeness. ;) 

July Penny Pedometer.jpg

• Like 3

I've taken your idea and I am ending it on the 31st of October (after I get to be a garden gnome for Halloween) this is my current tally.shave.png

• Like 1

Thank you for the idea! I have some streamers I am supporting that have HEFTY beards. I could see them shaving them #ForTheKids!

• Like 1

I rarely have facial hair and it's not too long right now. But if I reach $2000 I'm shaving mine like a character I'm pretty sure i'll be Abraham from Walking Dead... or Starburns from Community. I'll keep it until the end of the weekend, but I'll have it out in public, photos, and more for that weekend. Plus, I'll record the video and post it online.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2016 at 4:37 PM, Derrick Soriano said:

Thank you for the idea! I have some streamers I am supporting that have HEFTY beards. I could see them shaving them #ForTheKids!

It's definitely a lot of fun and watching the amount of people pitch in and support was amazing. I was surprised on how close the tug of war was! 

On 10/25/2016 at 8:29 AM, AMFBodo said:

Update on my race.

shave.png

What are the final results? Did you save it!?!?! :D

On 10/28/2016 at 4:26 PM, aerodash84 said:

I rarely have facial hair and it's not too long right now. But if I reach $2000 I'm shaving mine like a character I'm pretty sure i'll be Abraham from Walking Dead... or Starburns from Community. I'll keep it until the end of the weekend, but I'll have it out in public, photos, and more for that weekend. Plus, I'll record the video and post it online.

Go for it! :D I wish you the best of luck! ^-^