Five Guys - Fundraising Ideas - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Jamisonm

Five Guys

One of the successes we had this year is with Five Guys Burgers. They do charity nights, where they let a charity come in for the evening (usually 5-8pm) and set up a table and promote the charity. 10% of all sales during that time period is donated directly to the charity (I'm not sure what form yet, our event is coming up April 14th). We are setting up an Extra Life table and holding a raffle for some prizes we had donated. So not only will we get the sales donation, but additional raffle money and increased awareness of Extra Life. And talking to the Manager, they don't mind doing it repeatedly throughout the year.

Reach out to the manager if you have a Five Guys in your area!

• Like 8

Fantastic idea! We'll have to look into this in Pittsburgh!

*K8 now wants a Five Guys burger for dinner...*

• Like 1

We have a couple Five Guys where I am at too! I'll have to check with them! Thanks for the share :D

• Like 1

On 3/15/2016 at 10:32 AM, Jamisonm said:

One of the successes we had this year is with Five Guys Burgers. They do charity nights, where they let a charity come in for the evening (usually 5-8pm) and set up a table and promote the charity. 10% of all sales during that time period is donated directly to the charity (I'm not sure what form yet, our event is coming up April 14th). We are setting up an Extra Life table and holding a raffle for some prizes we had donated. So not only will we get the sales donation, but additional raffle money and increased awareness of Extra Life. And talking to the Manager, they don't mind doing it repeatedly throughout the year.

Reach out to the manager if you have a Five Guys in your area!

I wonder if the Bangor location will be interested in doing something like this?

From what we got from the Manager, it's something that is sanctioned company-wide, so definitely worth a stop in! Jared - If you're going to Bangor Toy & Comiccon this Saturday, stop by and say hi, we're repping Extra Life at the Weekend Anime booth.

I stopped in and nada, nothing. Spoke to the manager, blank stare. Handed him a letter and business card I'd made. Blank stare.

Sad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sean Rooney said:

Blank stare.

Sad.

This is precious. I am interested in seeing what others discover. There seems to be one near me that I never knew about. 

21 hours ago, Sean Rooney said:

I stopped in and nada, nothing. Spoke to the manager, blank stare. Handed him a letter and business card I'd made. Blank stare.

Sad.

There may be different rules and regulations for the Canadian franchises/locations. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2016 at 2:22 PM, herobyclicking said:

This is precious. I am interested in seeing what others discover. There seems to be one near me that I never knew about. 

Denver West.  I'll try and stop in one of these days when I have some time.

• Like 1

Just now, Bacchanalian said:

Denver West.  I'll try and stop in one of these days when I have some time.

I saw it recently, though my fam can't eat there due to everything being cooked with peanut oil. 

Any other Canadians or anyone else other then Jamison have any success with this?

Very nice idea. I need to look at some local venues to do this. Bob Evans restaurant also allows for this, or at least their flyer says so.

I will most definitely be checking at my local Five Guys about this! Thanks!

I've been meaning to look into what the Panera charity events are like and how they work. Hopefully I'll get more info and post back if anything comes of it.

On 8/13/2016 at 9:51 PM, aerodash84 said:

I've been meaning to look into what the Panera charity events are like and how they work. Hopefully I'll get more info and post back if anything comes of it.

I set up a Panera event a month ago that didn't go well. Here's some things worth noting.

1) The request, flyers, and communication are all form style automated responses. You may be able to work with a manager at your local location but as far as setting up the charity day I wasn't able to find someone to communicate with directly.

2) The biggest problem I had was that despite me requesting the charity day almost 3 months in advance, I received a confirmation e-mail and permission to distribute flyers only 10 days before the event. Needless to say this left me in a rush to get information out. Especially since they don't allow you to distribute flyers at the store. 

3) On the plus side, the staff knew what to do with the flyers, there was no confusion, and there's no big hurdles to jump through. They do require a Tax ID on the form and after speaking to my hospital rep I just wrote in "Tax ID available on request" to signify that I didn't have it and couldn't distribute it, but it could be handled when the check was being written. 

Can't believe I just found this! So - has anyone had luck since then? Also, @Quaseymoto - did they donate a portion of that day's proceeds?

No. We did not have enough people hand in flyers. 

I've had much more success working with local businesses than chain restaurants (with the exception of BWW which I've had a great relationship with)

@Quaseymoto could you elaborate? I'm hoping next year to finally stop being a chicken about approaching local businesses. What types of things have worked with them in the past?

Sure thing.

Let me start by saying if you're in a city with an Extra-Life Guild, talk to your guild leadership first. They'll have more information about local practices and may be able to help out with suggestions. 

For restaurants, traditionally what I've done is dress presentably, enter the restaurant, and ask the hostess to speak to a manager. I introduced myself and explained that I was hoping to to host a charity event at their venue. I gave a brief explanation about the cause but keep it short. They're not going to remember most of this. Chances are the random manager at a restaurant may not be the one making those decisions, but they can give you an e-mail address or relay if they have a standard policy. 

Many places do have set practices, they'll give a % of their proceeds for a specific night to charities. It's usually weekdays when they're slower and you just need to work with them to pick a date. Once that's done be sure to advertise and get as many people to go as possible. If you make a notable bump in their business that day they'll be happy to have you return again. 

If they don't have a set policy you'll want to work with them. Generally I've avoided proposing that they donate some of their tabs but every restaurant has offered it. This may be unique to me so if you're fundraising, make sure you work with them about how you plan to make that money. Will you be hosting an auction, or charging an entrance fee for a game day, etc? Restaurants in my state and many others have strict laws about how they're allowed to raise money. For example, in VA you can't host a raffle at restaurants cause that's considered gambling and it would violate their alcohol license. 

Either way be sure to exchange contact information and e-mail them a few days after to follow up. Managers are busy and they may not have written everything down.

At the end of the event, make sure you discuss with them how they intend to make the donation. If they're cutting a check, send them an e-mail with the special instructions you need for an offline donation. Give time (2 weeks?) for that process since they may need to go through accounting before it's cleared. 

That's what came up off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing stuff so if you have any more specific questions let me know. 

• Like 1

Sounds good. Your guild note made me think of something - would it make sense to work with a guild to drum up support for a restaurant and then split the cut amongst the guild? I don't think I could drum up very much support at all for people to go to a restaurant on a particular night. I just don't have a large enough group of friends or acquaintances.

Talk to your guild and use your city's message boards. Getting multiple teams together to raise money as a group is a great idea and even if they're not helping to organize they may be able to spread the word or just come to support. 

Sounds good. That'll be my route next year. Hopefully it'll help me not be struggling just to get to $200.