How to combat this while fundraising? - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
OBRIENSKI

How to combat this while fundraising?

SO I have experienced this a couple times now and once recently...I go into explaining how I am raising funds for CMN and I will be doing a 24 hour marathon and need all the support I can get! The possible donator asks "what kind of marathon will you be doing" of which I replied "a 24 hour gaming marathon" then the donator says to me (and this crushed me since it was someone close to me) "gaming...thats so childish, thats not really something for a marathon".  

So I am sure many people have received this kind of attitude/response, how did you handle it? Personally I am knocked down a notch.

18 minutes ago, obrien said:

SO I have experienced this a couple times now and once recently...I go into explaining how I am raising funds for CMN and I will be doing a 24 hour marathon and need all the support I can get! The possible donator asks "what kind of marathon will you be doing" of which I replied "a 24 hour gaming marathon" then the donator says to me (and this crushed me since it was someone close to me) "gaming...thats so childish, thats not really something for a marathon".  

So I am sure many people have received this kind of attitude/response, how did you handle it? Personally I am knocked down a notch.

Gaming is a super important hobby for many of us, so I can understand how a comment like that would be upsetting! We spend a lot of energy around gaming, gaming culture, media, etc., so it's a lot more of a part of our life than just a casual passing fancy. In my honest opinion, considering we're raising funds for a good cause it shouldn't matter so much what we're doing but that we're doing it at all! 

Most of the time I talk about our marathon, I get smiles, excitement, or just the raised eyebrow, as if to say "That's weird" or "I could never do that!" 

The important thing is to bring the point back to why you're doing what you're doing and emphasize how money donated to your local CMN hospital is making an impact. You're pulling together the time and energy to make it happen, and it's all on a volunteer basis. Celebrate the fact with this person that you're using your own free time (which a lot of us don't have in abundant supply) to make an impact where it matters! Don't get discouraged!

• Like 5

I hope I never hear a response like that, but I guarantee people think it.

If doing something fun for a good cause is childish, we should all be more childish.

• Like 8

@Sapience nailed it! 

Don't get discourage and just remember that no matter what people are saying, you are doing this for the kids! Whether people want to accept it or not, video games are the leading form of entertainment worldwide! If they're skeptical about you doing a marathon with gaming or think it's nothing, show them the numbers! Numbers never lie! Last year alone we raised over $8.3 Million and since 2008 we have raised over $21 Million for these kids! But it doesn't stop there. Extra Life is not the only nonprofit organization that raises money for a good cause. Look at Child's Play or the Games Done Quick (SGDQ and AGDQ) They too raise money through the power of gaming. 

The stereotype that people have put on us years ago is dead. Gamers are not selfish do nothings that live in their parent's basement. We are fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, friends... etc. Want to really shock the naysayers? Tell them this: Women age 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (33%) than boys age 18 or younger (15%) source

Gamers are a big deal and some people just don't know it yet. Educate them a little bit and maybe they will appreciate the work you do for these kids! :D

• Like 5

Seven years ago, I had someone make a similar remark when I said I planned on attending a local gaming convention. A year later, when I discovered Extra Life I remember thinking how thrilled I was to learn that I could not only make a difference in the world with my favorite hobby, but that by doing so I could shatter those stereotypical preconceptions about gamers. These days, I still get the occasional eye roll from someone judging me using those old stereotypes, but I have confidence in our cause and in the wonderful work we are doing as Extra Lifers. For the Eye Rollers I have one fantastic word. Solidarity. We do what we do because it helps sick and injured kids have a chance to be defined as kids again instead of the medical terms that label their struggles. We do what we do in solidarity with some of the kids whose only chance to escape from their harsh realities and just BE A KID for a while is to pick up a controller or a board game or a deck of cards and play.

For the really stubborn ones, I keep two great quotes from famous Pittsburgh native Mr. Rogers in my back pocket:

1. "Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero to me."

2. "I hope you're proud of yourself for the times you've said 'yes,' when all it meant was extra work for you and was seemingly helpful only to somebody else."

• Like 5

I have come across this several times over the past few years while participating in Extra Life, but I have found that explaining the organization's growth and success (how much it's raised over the past few years), coupled with reiterating that everything we do helps kids dealing with illnesses and other scary issues, can offset those types of questions or statements. You won't win over everyone, unfortunately, but doing that could help offset the misconception that it's just "playing videogames" - we are part of a larger movement designed to help kids, some of whom live in our own areas. Also, mentioning the hospital for which you are raising money could be an icebreaker to relate to the people from whom you're seeking donations - I've come across a few people who, as soon as I mention our local CMN hospital, they mention their kid spent some time there at one point or another. This could help them relate to the cause. Hope that helps, and keep doing what you're doing FTK!! You guys rock!!!

• Like 1

I've ran into this a number of times....and not just from random people but from family members.  It can be discouraging and make you feel like what you are doing is joke or something.  But, like @Zyaldar said, look at the numbers, and look at the other organizations and participants.  Its no joke...certainly not to the kids and their families we are helping.

This is my 4th year participating in Extra Life, and I have seen a ton of heart, care, and plain old hard work put in to helping kids.  Saving kids.  Thats nothing to roll eyes about.

• Like 3

@CAWZY I'm glad you brought up family. Out of the 3 years I have done Extra Life I have only had like 2 people from my family donate!

Out of all the info I have received on this forum I will be changing some of the info I use to gather donations as well as how I answer questions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, obrien said:

@CAWZY I'm glad you brought up family. Out of the 3 years I have done Extra Life I have only had like 2 people from my family donate!

Out of all the info I have received on this forum I will be changing some of the info I use to gather donations as well as how I answer questions.

I found that items, stories, pictures and videos from Extra Life United 2014 really changed how family saw what I did and have done for Children's Hospital Colorado. 

"I help this kid, this one right here," as I hold my Champions book. Fortunately I have not had the pushback, but plenty of apathy. I just keep at it. It can just take one person to hear about Extra Life for a new donor or participant to come into the fray. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, obrien said:

I myself have had a hard time to get family involved. Luckily there are a couple members that have helped but still quite a few that won't lift a finger. Sadly these people won't do anything whether it's a charity for gaming or not. They just don't care. Just remember that you ARE making a difference. Keep doing it, advertise what you are doing, and eventually your family/friends will notice. This is my fourth year and slowly I have seen more and more support from family/friends.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, of my entire family many of them have been supportive and some even participate. But there are a few that were very negative about it, though. It can be hard to handle when it's someone you're close to.

I really like Rick ' s response and will have to try it on them. So I think I am going to take that approach next time it come up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been doing this 7 years now.  I remember I used to get similar responses, and my response was, "This is more about helping children than it is the gaming.  Do you hate children?"  That didn't go over very well.  I've adjusted my approach since then.  I always make the initial focus on helping the kids though.  

Here's the email I blasted out this year to my co-workers:
We’re less than a month away from Extra Life 2016!  Once again, any money you donate will benefit the Arkansas Children’s Hospital.  They help thousands of children every year with scary stuff like diseases and injuries.  Chances are, if your kid gets hurt, they are going to be the ones to help.  Right now, they’re in the process of opening up another hospital closer to home in Lowell, which is scheduled to open in January 2018. 

Last year this group went beyond exceeding my expectations, and I look forward to seeing what happens this year!

Here’s the link to donate: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/joshrose

In correlation with previous years, my pledge for your donations is to play games for 24 hours, including computer games, videogames, and/or board games.  Nothing’s off the table!  It’ll be a 24 hour party of gaming goodness and I hope some of you will join me.  We always have a blast every year, and I don’t imagine this year will be any different.  Of course, you don’t HAVE to spend the whole 24 hours.  That’s just my pledge.  Come for an hour or two and you’ll have a good time!

• Like 1

I honestly don't even mention it.  I've always viewed it as more of a reward for doing the noble work of #ftk.  I have 3 kids, and find it difficult to do anything for more than 30 minutes(lol), so I don't do the marathon myself.  In email and letters to businesses, I refer to the 5th of November simply as "Games Day 2016" and I do not elaborate.  If they cared, they would ask.  I present myself as a gamer nerd, raising funds for CMN.  Not as a gamer nerd, looking for sponsors to play all day (for a good cause or not, perception is important).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kome said:

I honestly don't even mention it.  I've always viewed it as more of a reward for doing the noble work of #ftk.  I have 3 kids, and find it difficult to do anything for more than 30 minutes(lol), so I don't do the marathon myself.  In email and letters to businesses, I refer to the 5th of November simply as "Games Day 2016" and I do not elaborate.  If they cared, they would ask.  I present myself as a gamer nerd, raising funds for CMN.  Not as a gamer nerd, looking for sponsors to play all day (for a good cause or not, perception is important).

Really good point here ^^^

Know your audience! My father-in-law could care less about games, but is happy to make a tax deductible donation. My 20 something acquaintances are more interested in the gaming part, so I focus on that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bot Hunter said:

Well, what is the point of being an adult, if you can't be childish from time to time.

Exactly!  Halloween forever!  And probably wearing Guy Fawkes outfit to voting this year!

• Like 1

Recently saw somewhere - reddit, I think - that there's an 85 year old streamer on Twitch. So bring that fact out when someone says it's childish.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2016 at 11:24 PM, obrien said:

I challenge anyone to stay up for 25 hours and play a game. It's harder than anything ever.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:53 PM, djotaku said:

Recently saw somewhere - reddit, I think - that there's an 85 year old streamer on Twitch. So bring that fact out when someone says it's childish.

EXACTLY!!!!!! I also tell people that I'm indulging in my second childhood! I earned it. :)

• Like 1