Welcome to the Toronto Guild! - Toronto - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sapience

Welcome to the Toronto Guild!

Welcome to the Toronto Guild! We're excited to launch the guild and cannot wait to meet you all and work with you as we grow the Extra Life program and help the kids we serve.

Introduce yourself and let's all get to know each other!

I'm Rick, the Community Manager for the Extra Life program. I'm responsible for the entire Extra Life community, but I'm also your go to person for everything Guild related. If you have any questions about the program, need help finding resources, or just want to kick around an idea please feel free to reach out and let me know how I can help!

• Like 4

Hi everyone!

I'm Derek, aka "Sloppyderek" - I've been involved with Extra Life for 2 years now. I was actually at Toronto Sick Kids for a while when I was a child and it's an amazing place to heal. I'm a dedicated individual and have a passion for helping others. 

This is an exciting time to finally have an Extra Life Guild in Toronto and I am beyond thrilled to be apart of it. 

As we all know Extra Life is amazing and I look forward to helping it grow and working with you all. 

See you on the 31st!

For the Kids. 

Derek. 

• Like 5

Hi everyone! 

My name is Jess and I am beyond happy that we are starting a guild together! 

This fall will be my fourth Extra Life event and I'm so excited to see what kinds of goals we can reach this year. 

Can't wait to see everyone on the 31st! 

Jess (Foxracinggurl)  

*Edit* Feel like I should give a bit more about myself.. 

I live about a hour north of Toronto. My educational background is digital media and video game design. Lots of experience in online communities and some experience running booths at conventions. I love taking photos, crafting, and basically any type of digital media content creation. Each Extra Life event I have changed it up and tried different goals. The whole adventure has been very humbling and I can't wait for us to spread the word!  

Edited by FoxRacingGurl
Adding more info to my intro. ;)
  • Like 4

Hey guys!

My name's Justin and I'm super stoked that Toronto will have their own guild! This year will be my third time contributing and looking forward to many more years of participating. Really excited to meet some more Extra-Lifers and make new friends at the upcoming launch meeting.

Justin // Descrier

• Like 4

Hi everyone :) I'm Teriann (though I go by Teri mostly), and super excited to get more involved with Extra Life this year.  

Last year was my first time running an event for game day at the Toronto Film School and my third time participating as a gamer (in the past I've tuned in/gamed during the Rooster Teeth stream, shout out to any RT fans).  

This year I was hoping to run a similar gaming and gamedev event again (we did a week of gaming/tourneys leading up to game day including a game jam), but I'm also eager to see what the rest of the community is looking at organizing and helping in any way I can!

See you on the 31st!

Teri

• Like 2

Hi folks! Late introduction! I'm Ricky and I've been participating in Extra Life since 2010. I'm so happy to see how Extra Life has grown since "the early days", and how the gaming community in Toronto has continued to rally around the event.

Not sure what the process/agenda is for tonight's kick-off meeting, but I took the liberty of locking in our social channels (I'm in digital marketing - have to own our name!). For whomever needs access (president, VP, secretary, etc.), please let me know and I'll send over usernames, passwords for access. Hoping to make it out tonight but will be a game time decision.

Edit: Just re-read the handbook - looks like city-specific social channels are frowned upon. I can hand over the reigns or close them depending on what the Guild wants to do.

Edited by RickyinMotion
new information received
  • Like 2

Hey hey all. Just joined the community and really excited to see a Guild take off in Toronto! 

Both the husband and I have done Extra Life for the past two years - looking forward to a third. PMed the EventBrite "organizer" (wasn't sure who it was - just read that Rick is no longer Community Manager?) to let them know neither of us can make it, but we're both excited to get our hands dirty in getting things going. Both of us are NPO/events planning/PR/volunteer management experienced, and happy to lend some energy to the community wherever we can.

...And game...

...you know, for the kids... ;)

Looking forward to hearing updates post meeting!

• Like 3

Hello all,

Great to hear that Toronto will have it's own guild. I've been supporting Extra life for the past four years. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the meeting  this evening, working late tonight. Best of luck on the first guild meeting and hopefully I'll get to the future meetings.

• Like 3

Sup ladies and gents!

My name is Michael AKA "Dang3rousMoose" This is my first year with Extra Life, I've done one 24 hour livestream on Twitch and plan many more! 

I look forward to meeting and gaming with you all cheers to a great start! 

Happy gaming! 

• Like 3

Greetings all! I'm Giancarlo from Woodbridge and I'm excited to join the Extra Life movement!

I was diagnosed with Legg-Calve-Perthes disease when I was 5 (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/legg-calve-perthes-disease/basics/definition/con-20035572). From that point on my life has revolved around Sick Kids Hospital in some way or another. Back then the hospital was not as friendly and lively as it is now. I was in a 6-person ward in full traction for the majority of it, and the TV was permanently set to the weather channel. The only geeky thing I had available to me was a VHS copy of Transformers: The Animated Movie, which I watched hundreds of times. Even after my treatment was complete, I had to return at least once a year for tests. My family has donated a lot to the hospital over the years, and continue to do so.

It's truly amazing to see how much things have changed over the years, and I want to continue to be an agent for that change.

My family runs a Halloween charity event to raise money for cancer research so I have experience with planning and running events. I run two companies (general contracting and real estate investment) and was a corporation officer in Eve Online for a few years so I have experience in leadership positions as well. I hosted a nerd culture podcast for a few years and was a student journalist so I have some communication skills as well.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and accomplishing great things together!

• Like 3

Hi Everyone. Good to meet more local Extra Lifers last night at the meeting. Looking forward to the guild... we'll be able to do even more together!

About me: I'm a sick kids kid and I've been doing Extra life for many years now. I think since 2010 but my memory is hazy after all these years. I've run a bunch of fundraisers over the years and been part of many organizations and communities, specializing in driving engagement. I currently run delayofgame.ca (where you are all welcome) and was the Xbox community manager for several years for example. I continue working in the gaming industry and love seeing how enthusiastic to get involved in good causes other gamers are.

• Like 3

Hey All!

I'm Eric, been involved with Extra-Life for SickKids Toronto for 4 years now and looking forward to the 5th year. I sadly missed the guild meetup this week but am hoping to be involved with things this year to help grow the community and its exposure. I'm located in Toronto, occasionally run a twitch stream and attend FanExpo each year.

Super excited and would be stoked to join forces this year to raise donations, perhaps run a 24 hr marathon together. Lets do all the things!

• Like 2

GOOD DAY!

My name is Ryan and I have been doing this for 4 years now for SickKids in Toronto. I also missed the guild launch event this week due to my wife being sick but I hope to get involved in other events. My team has been running around for 4 years and have been growing from a 2-man show to a now 7-person show! Looking forward to meeting each of you!

• Like 2

I'm Matt, 

Lawful Evil Dungeon Master/game designer

Started out with Extra Life for McMaster Children's Hospital and switched over to SickKids when I moved to the city

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I'm Kyle, game design student at Toronto Film School. Super excited to be a part of this guild and looking forward to accomplishing some awesome things together! Excelsior!

• Like 1

hey everyone :D

My name is Ryan and I've been a member of extra life for about 2 years. I'm really stoked on being a part of the guild and I hope to get to know more about you guys :D

• Like 1

Hey everyone!

My name is Maria! I am still an Extra Life noob as I've only been to one Extra Life event hosted by Geekz United last year. It was a crazy fun event and for a great cause! I've never been part of a guild before and I'm looking forward to gaming and working with you all!  :lol: LET'S DO IT FO DA KIDZZZZ!

55089196.jpg

• Like 2

For those who haven't seen it on the homepage, the Exec has been announced - please join me in welcoming Raj, Erin, and Aileen!!! We know they will do a great job bringing the Toronto Guild together as a team to do great things!

5716149d93139_ScreenShot2016-04-19at7.19

• Like 7

Thanks for putting all your faith in us Tara! We won't disappoint (hopefully)!

We'll be putting up a new forum up later today about what we hope to get started on and any pertinent information for everyone here. Especially since EGLX is around the corner and we're all vibrating with excitement. So stay tuned, folks!

My names James, this will be my second year participating in Extra Life, raising money in support of Sickkids.

looking forward to working now with you all!!

Hello, everyone. My name is Luis, also known as LG65. But then again, don't I say this every YouTube video or Twitch stream I begin with?

I hope to be on a guild or I might go solo. But either way, this will be the first time I EVER participated in Extra Life, to support SickKids.

I look forward in getting to know you all and also, I hope you'll all be able to accommodate me and get to know me better, too.

• Like 2

HEYA everyone!!!! (don;t let the picture intimidate you....yet...lol)

My name's ROB! rhj101 on xbox live, and ravyyn647 on Steam...Twitch-therobjacksonexperience

This will be my 4'th time participating in Extra Life!  

I do giveaways and wicked small events on Facebook for gaming and rockin' with Geekz United as well.

I'm doing this for my nephew who has down syndrome as well as a few friends who have mental illness. It's tough for them to get help and hoping with the money that I raise along with everyone, we can change that.

• Like 1

Hi! I represent GameHaunt. I've been doing Extra Life since 2014. I kind of skipped last year as I just migrated from the Philippines and have been on a lot of adjustments.

We've been supporting SickKids since then. Hoping to get bigger this year. Looking forward to work with you guys. 

• Like 2

Welcome! :D Glad to see some new names and faces popping up!! If you guys have any questions ask myself or one of the guild leaders. 

• Like 1