The Gaming Heretic

The Nashville Guild - A Real Boy (Social Media)

Hey Guys, 

Go down for TL;DR

The Long Pitch Here:

So let me start out with that I am not going to do anything or go crazy - but I am going to present ideas for the Guild (THE TEAM) to consider. So I am putting this stuff out here to see what you guys think. We agree as a group that it works or we don't. If you disagree, I may engage passionately but ultimately we all need to agree or majority agree or this doesn't work. So here is my ideas..

As some of you know from last night, I own my own Company where we do reviews, skits, political stuff, etc. I was also an Analyst for Verizon Wireless for over 7 years specifically trained to interpret and understand human behavior. I used this to determine trends and what makes people want to buy stuff. 

One of the things I have seen for Charities to be successful is for them to create a sense of community. Extra Life coming to our town is an example of that. If you remember the discussion 'You're a guild of players that interface here locally, and with other guilds'. Extra Life is building small communities that come together. We're a team, We're a guild, We're a national effort ... We. Are. Extra-Life. 

So I think it behooves us to move in that direction as well. There would be two fronts of the Extra Life Nashville Guild. Our Nashville Community side .. So Where we place events, topics, hey look at this, we'll be here come hang out.. This will be done Via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. It may expand past that but start small.

The core group, where we keep everything focused and not community side is here. That way we can stay focused and keep on task. My Company has also pledged to give a part of our advertising budget to immediately begin promoting the social media as soon as we're comfortable with what we have. And I am fine with putting all of it together and setting up the core group as admins.

TL;DR

I created a Facebook Page - I think it will help us promote the Guild and raise awareness. My company will advertise it a bit. What do you guys think, yay or nay?

(See what I did there? DO YOU SEE IT!?)

I'm for it.  I like the idea of this site being where we focus on making extra life bigger and better, but something like 92% of people that have a social media presence use facebook, that will make it a nice gateway to suck them in and then move them here.

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I'm going to have to ask we not peruse this route. We are actively moving away from Facebook for guilds. You're the first set of guilds that we made a conscious effort to move fully away from facebook and it's why we did not create a FB page for you. The existing guilds are moving away over the next few months and we'll be closing their pages.

What we found is people don't move to here when they go to Facebook, but will come here if there is no Facebook option.It's also impossible for us to manage 70+ Facebook pages/groups. Guilds aren't permitted to create public facing social media accounts. This is covered in the Guild Handbook.

Sorry to butt in, but I see this as a potential issue when reaching new people.

I feel like herding people to yet another site may not be best strategy. I could be totally wrong, but, in the few months we've had them, we have not seen the turnover that we would like.

We have essentially been trying to wean people from the Facebook group to the forums, but its not happening.  People either forget to check the forums, don't click through on links posted on Facebook, or just flat-out refuse to visit the forums.  This will obviously cause a bigger issue if there were no Facebook presence at all.

After talking with my wife (who is a so non-technical its downright scary, lol) and she pointed out to me that nobody who isn't used to forums won't even bother signing up for them because its another account that they have to keep up with.  Granted, its easier now to point people in the right direction with the Guild-specific forum URLs, but we didn't have them initially and lost so many people who wanted to get involved and follow our movements leading up to the big day.

Also, after hearing the CMN president mention it during his keynote, I think it is important that we don't limit ourselves to the forums. I understand that it is difficult for the higher-ups to manage so many different Facebook groups, but its difficult for us here in the trenches to rally our troops, find the support we need, or get others to join our cause.

At this point, I'm not sure what else can be done. I honestly feel that if we lose our social media presence completely, most of us will be dead in the water...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sapience said:

Hi Guys, I'm going to have to ask we not peruse this route. We are actively moving away from Facebook for guilds. You're the first set of guilds that we made a conscious effort to move fully away from facebook and it's why we did not create a FB page for you. The existing guilds are moving away over the next few months and we'll be closing their pages.

What we found is people don't move to here when they go to Facebook, but will come here if there is no Facebook option.It's also impossible for us to manage 70+ Facebook pages/groups. Guilds aren't permitted to create public facing social media accounts. This is covered in the Guild Handbook.

Hey, Sorry for the delay in responding. We had spoke to @Doc who said that it would be fine as a way to promote events while still keeping the core here and keeping it understood.  The importance would be to highlight where the guild is and what is doing to keep the public known. There are many who don't want to be in the guild but would come to events and such which can help push forward. Facebook has been integral in that. It's more a public venue. I do concur with @MajorLinux You are losing a ton of possibilities in expansion in this way. I'm not here to rabble rouse ofcourse, and if the core team decide to go with @Sapience vs @Doc I'll be more then happy to delete it. I think that is a huge mistake for Extra Life though, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Hi all,

I think there may have been a misunderstanding. All guild related activity should be handled here, on this site. We took the decision this year to forego new guilds a social media presence intentionally. It was a decision we came to after seeing the results of several years' worth of work and what was and was not working to help us fulfil the mission; recruitment.

This isn't a question of choosing "@Sapience vs @Doc". It's how we've structured the program as a team. I appreciate your cooperation and I know that working with Rick, who is responsible for all things Guild related here at Extra Life/CMN Hospitals, and your new guild president as well as Kelsey-Lane at your hospital that you'll have tremendous success in Nashville this year.

It might help you to know that several guilds, who have had a social presence while we tested and grew the program have voluntarily abandoned them in favor of the community site. We'll be talking more to existing guilds about how to finalize their moves as well. This is something we've considered very carefully.

I apologize if I miscommunicated anything that caused this confusion, and hope we're all on the same page now. 

Thanks for all you do for the kids!

Doc