CaKarst

GR Guild, Introduce Yourselves!

Hey fellow GR Extra Lifers!

I thought it would be great to get to know each other a little more, especially for those who aren't always able to make it to the meetings. So tell us all a little about yourself. Why you joined EL, what you do for a living, video games ya like, or anything else we might find interesting. Feel free to post links to YouTube pages, Facebooks, Twitches, Twitters, or anything else ya have! I'll go first...

My name is Aaron and I'm originally from the UP (well Jackson, really, but mostly the UP) and I work for Spectrum Health Medical Group doing medical coding. It's actually at work that I actually learned more about Extra Life thanks to @Viedt, or Phil The President. I had known of EL before this but the Guild actually got me to pursue it. I love games and being able to help change kids lives through gaming is something special. 

Speaking of games... I am a big RPG fan. Final Fantay is the best, as is Zelda, the Tales series, Mass Effect, and the Souls games. I play mostly on the PS3 or 4 these days due to a slowly aging PC. My PSN is aarongutch32 if anyone wants to add me. I also stream games! I had so much fun doing the 24 hour marathon for EL last year that I decided to do it in my spare time. I have a lot of fun with it and it's a great way to raise money for EL. I'm streaming Dark Souls at the moment and you can find my channel below in my signature.

I also do some streaming on the Extra Life Twitch channel Sunday nights at 11PM. The #ExtraLife #StreamTeam promotes Extra Life and attempts to get as many people signed up as we can. There are a lot of good people on that channel. You can find someone streaming most Wed-Sun after 5 or so. You can find that channel at twitch.tv/extralife4kids. So go there, follow the channel, and spread that good word!

This is going a bit longer than I intended so I'll stop now.

Now it's your turn! Tell us about yourself, GR Extra Lifers!

• Like 2

Hello GR Extra Lifers!

My name is Robert. This will be my third year doing extra life. I learned of Extra Life from seeing posts on twitter and seeing streams on Twitch TV.  My first year I did it as an individual. This past year I put together a small group of friends in a team.  I'm from the grand rapids area. I 've been in waste sales for 17yrs with a local trash hauler.  Yes I'm OLD! Well I guess 37 isn't so bad :) .   I'm a variety gamer. I like to have several games that I'm playing. I'm a  big Xbox fan! However, Recently I have been getting more into pc gaming .  Right now I'm currently playing Tomb Raider on steam. I also have recently enjoyed Diablo III. I tend to get excited about one game and then another comes out and then I move to that one. It’s a never ending fantastic cycle. I enjoy meeting new people in the gaming community that I can play games online with. I recently have been working on getting my gameroom/pc set up upgraded so I can start streaming on Twitch TV. I'm almost there.  I enjoy watching some twitchtv @n3rdfusion @bacon_donut to just name a couple. Yes, I like to also watch people play games :)  .   

I look forward to getting involved with the guild this year and meeting you all.

Robert

Xbox: REDWING CHAMP

Steam: redwingchamp187

Twitter: @redwingchamp187

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this Aaron.  My name is Phil, I am the @Viedt that @CaKarst mentions above.  I got started with Extra Life two years ago when the hospital system I work for, Spectrum Health or Helen Devos Children's Hospital, held a tournament on game day and entry was to just raise $50 with Extra Life.  I raise $200 that first year and really had a lot of fun.  That February Extra Life started the Guild program here in GR.  I was looking for a way to get more involved with something I believed in, so I showed up and volunteered.  Was asked to be the VP of the guild and we spent the better part of the rest of the year doing what Guilds do, spreading the word.  This year, I stepped up a level in the ranks and hope to have an even better year.

As far as a more personal profile goes, I am a software developer at Spectrum Health, technically an Application Development Analyst but that is just a title.  I write code in java, that is pretty much it.  I am married with 3 children, all boys, ages 9, 4, 2.  They keep me busy enough but when I do get to game I tend to play RPGs.  I am currently playing Fallout 4, absolutely love anything Bethesda, Oblivion is still my favorite game of all time.  I play shooters a bit, mostly Halo, never really got into COD or those more war like games.  I served in the Marine Corps for 6 years, so they don't really appeal to me.  I will try any game out, but I am so cheap I only buy titles I really really know I want to play, so they are few and far in between.  As a result I am sure that I have missed out on some great games.  But with a family and a full time job I don't have the time to play as much as I would like anyway.  

Well I think that is about it.  All my gamer stuff is in my signature, so find me on xBox if you want.  Look forward to seeing everyone at the meetings and events.

• Like 2

Hello everyone, My name Is Erik. I was there at the inception of the guild (the guy in the red spiderman shirt in the picture) but ended up distancing myself from it almost immediately due to certain people using it as a way to just build their twitch following. Now that I see some of the leadership has shifted I am hoping to come back and help out.

I first heard of extra life 2 years ago from a friend and decided that If there was a way I could help I would do it. Every year I make a goal of $500 and this year I plan on hitting it!

I am a father of an almost 2 year old, and am a stay at home dad. I love playing RPGs both virtual and tabletop. I play too much WoW and HotS. I have a twitch page I am in the middle of setting up properly but the name is "d20game". Sometimes I'm on "inosarthas".

• Like 2

Hey guys, I'm Meaghan, Typically I go by WoWMeaghan online, twitter/twitch/FB/blogging etc.  I this will be my third year participating in Extra Life, however this is my first year here!  I was really excited to find a Guild in the west michigan area.  Guilds are super new to me, as I've only organized Online Extra Life Events for GamingMommies.Org the past two years.  I coordinated the Twitch streaming and also participated in the gaming and worked on recruiting and working on getting donations as well.  Last year I helped raise 3k! woop woop!

I live in Holland, so I'm not sure how many meetings I can attend but I will try my best.  I got involved with Extra Life as my 3 year old utilized their services when she was born, she had a  heart murmur, luckily everything is all right and it shouldn't affect her!  I really am thankful for them, they really helped ease my anxiety and were extremely friendly.

I am working on my bachelors degree in marketing, specifically digital media.  I have an internship with GeeksandGeeklets.com and work at Davenport University.  Sorry for the short intro, I've got a crazy toddler running around this morning :)

• Like 3

Hi My name is Mark and I have been doing Extra Life for 5 years with a friend and I am looking to get on the board. I Have some great ideas on how we can spread the word to all walk of life and I know how to get people to join. If someone could tell me how to get on this please let me know. 

More about me I am a corrections officer and on my free time I play games and manage my airsoft team. If you want to know more let me know. 

22 hours ago, BioBigmantk1219 said:

Hi My name is Mark and I have been doing Extra Life for 5 years with a friend and I am looking to get on the board. I Have some great ideas on how we can spread the word to all walk of life and I know how to get people to join. If someone could tell me how to get on this please let me know. 

More about me I am a corrections officer and on my free time I play games and manage my airsoft team. If you want to know more let me know. 

Hey Mark, I replied your PM but just in case someone else is checking this thread, most of our public communication goes through our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/grxlGamers/ so please follow that for info on our next guild meeting.

Feel free to email me directly too at phillip.brossia@spectrumhealth.org