Changing tracks - Extra Life United 2016 - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
FinchKC

Changing tracks

I was wondering how to change the tracks for ELU. I wanted to choose pc but it chose console. Any advice.

• Like 1

Haha! YES! @FinchKC I'm looking to do the exact same thing. Console to PC track XD Should've just picked with what I know best in the first place.

I would change if I could too. Is it possible? I am in the tabletop track currently and would jump on that PC track so hard.

I wonder if it is possible? Registration ends on the 8th...

So many Mobas! It's like... *___* I was so worried there would be more FPS-type games, which was why I initially shied away.

• Like 1

High-five dude! FPS scare me. I don't play them, except for L4D/2... and that's so not appropriate for a kid's tournament haha! Really happy to see mobas, but there are so many! And at least they're mostly free-to-play. I couldn't afford buying all the games, even used, for the console track!

If they were planning on a certain number of people in each track, maybe we could pair off to swap? 

As in: I am currently in PC but would feel more comfortable in tabletop now that we know the games. So if someone from tabletop wanted PC I could switch with you? 

I feel kinda bad about not sticking with my choice, but I've never played a moba and I'm total crap at hearthstone. My fear of having to play Magic is what kept me away from tabletop. 

@DJThunderstix, what is your opinion on this thread? I don't mind staying where I am - I accept that I've made my choice. But if there's any chance to swap, I'd like to. 

I'm in PC track and I wish there were not so many MOBAs.  I totally expected one to pop up, but why three?  It seems boring and repetitive as they are essentially the same game.

Also, I feel as if people who have never played hearthstone will be at a great disadvantage due to being stuck with mostly basic cards, or having to drop tons of money on the game to have a fighting chance.  Same goes for having more champions in League, HOTS, and I assume DOTA(never played it).

I sorry if I come off as whiny, but it feels wrong to me to pick games that have people with such a disadvantage before the matches even start.

1 hour ago, Plotspackle said:

I'm in PC track and I wish there were not so many MOBAs.  I totally expected one to pop up, but why three?  It seems boring and repetitive as they are essentially the same game.

Also, I feel as if people who have never played hearthstone will be at a great disadvantage due to being stuck with mostly basic cards, or having to drop tons of money on the game to have a fighting chance.  Same goes for having more champions in League, HOTS, and I assume DOTA(never played it).

I sorry if I come off as whiny, but it feels wrong to me to pick games that have people with such a disadvantage before the matches even start.

I would hope that they'd not let people use their own accounts in the interest of fairness. Maybe a sealed deck sort of thing for hearthstone, and for the MOBA probably just start everyone with a choice of pre built heroes. 

Still I agree the variety is lacking. 

I'd love to be able to switch tracks to tabletop, but I try not to focus entirely on the games. It's being there at all that makes for memories and warm fuzzies that last all year. I got knocked out in the first round last year, but still had an awesome time. Momentum is the delicious cake upon which the icing called ELU rests. ;)

My personal annoyance at not liking all the games in the track I chose is not going to ruin my experience at all. :D

Seconded, there's no way they would let people use their own accounts - everyone will have same level of stuff I'm sure.

Also it was noted in the email there's no guarantee you'll play all of these games. And though they said this was the full list I would still expect a surprise game or two.

There's what, four three-hour gaming blocks in the tournament? So you'd probably play four different games?

I'm glad I chose tabletop but upon seeing the list would also be comfortable with console. PC? Dota and League feel way above my level! But I'm sure I'd learn enough to at least have fun - which I hope is everyone's main goal. I know there's a competitive angle but hope folks don't get bogged down in it.

• Like 1

I know Dota 2 has all the champions unlocked at the start, League of Legends has 10 free champions each week, Hearthstone has 9 basic decks available to everyone, Heroes of the Storm has 6 free champions each week. That's a good starting point for everyone being able to play. It will be interesting with some of the MOBAs though, as this is a solo competition, so we may see 1v1s in the MOBAs, which lends itself to the Round Robin format better anyways.

The other issue with League is the game is 100% different with a basic brand new account than it is with one you've played a while.  Your account gets "levels" when you play matches, and eventually those come with benefits--a rune page and masteries much like you might have in an MMO.  You can have multiple profiles set up for different roles.  At level 30, the max level, this is pretty much no longer any issue as everyone is equal, but the other issue is that some things simply don't work at level 1.  An entire role in League (jungling) is impossible at level 1.  Without the runes and masteries, you simply can't do it, which throws the entire rest of the team and the overall strategy behind champion selection as well.  

It'd be cool if they said "okay, choose which moba you want to play" or something so those of us familiar with one could pick the one we know and not wind up with games where someone like me with 2000+ LoL games under my belt is facing off against someone who doesn't know which button does what.

Anyway no matter what the whole thing is going to be a blast.  I don't want to make it sound otherwise--I can't wait.  Just weighing in as I know this is a learning process for the organizers and any information is good for people on a learning curve.  Already a HUGE improvement over last year. :)  I'm counting down the days!

On 2/6/2016 at 3:02 AM, K8Morosky said:

If they were planning on a certain number of people in each track, maybe we could pair off to swap? 

As in: I am currently in PC but would feel more comfortable in tabletop now that we know the games. So if someone from tabletop wanted PC I could switch with you? 

I feel kinda bad about not sticking with my choice, but I've never played a moba and I'm total crap at hearthstone. My fear of having to play Magic is what kept me away from tabletop. 

@DJThunderstix, what is your opinion on this thread? I don't mind staying where I am - I accept that I've made my choice. But if there's any chance to swap, I'd like to. 

If you'd like to switch tracks, just email me! You DO have to let me know today by 11:59pm EST (when registration closes). Either PM on here or email registration@cmnhospitals.org

On 2/5/2016 at 4:25 PM, FinchKC said:

I was wondering how to change the tracks for ELU. I wanted to choose pc but it chose console. Any advice.

Just PM me or email registration@cmnhospitals.org by 11:59pm EST tonight

On 2/5/2016 at 4:42 PM, Derek.will85 said:

I would change if I could too. Is it possible? I am in the tabletop track currently and would jump on that PC track so hard.

I wonder if it is possible? Registration ends on the 8th...

Just PM me or email registration@cmnhospitals.org by 11:59pm EST tonight

On 2/6/2016 at 5:05 PM, Gnomedic said:

High-five dude! FPS scare me. I don't play them, except for L4D/2... and that's so not appropriate for a kid's tournament haha! Really happy to see mobas, but there are so many! And at least they're mostly free-to-play. I couldn't afford buying all the games, even used, for the console track!

Got you already! :)

• Like 2