How do you get people's attention, and get them to donate? - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
TheGiant

How do you get people's attention, and get them to donate?

I have no problem telling my secret, it's not a big deal. I use e-mail a lot, but it helps that I have built my address book for years, I realized how useful it was when I had my first Handspring Visor (like a Palm Pilot) years ago, and have just continuously been building on the same address book for years, being the IT guy in a Real Estate office, and having been involved in other things in the community since I was in high school, I know lots of successful real estate agents and business owners, even a professional golfer.

E-mail doesn't work for everybody though, I know a friend in the Atlanta Guild has tried but it doesn't work for him like it does for me, different things work for different people, just depends on who you know, and how much they pay attention to what you send.

The important thing, is to get your donation page in people's faces, somehow. They aren't going to know what you're doing if you don't tell them. 

I'm curious, what you all do, what works for you, what doesn't. I'm looking for new ideas, to go beyond just e-mail.

• Like 5

I used facebook and generous family and friends for my fundraising in 2015. ;) I know Ill have to branch out this year though, and an email list sounds Awesome. I also operated a special for my business that included a coupon code if someone donated more that $20 to my page. 

I only used Facebook and twitter last year.  This year I am going to add some email blasts to the mix.  I think each medium reaches a certain type of person.  I'm also going to start streaming this year, I dont expect much from it right off the bat, though.  It will be cool to put together and I will eventually get up there.  The other thing Im doing is putting together an event at work.  First time doing that, so it will be interesting to see how much it brings in.

He,y I'm going to move this to the general discussion so it gets more visibility. GREAT TOPIC!

• Like 1

I use email and social media and I don't ever shut up about Extra Life in my everyday. Yes, I think I actually annoy some people into donating. But then I try to rope them into either participating with me or being super excited for me and spread the word. I always say, it takes one person. 

Case in point. In 2014 I started #100DaysofGaming, a self-imposed challenge of playing games for 100 days leading up to the "National Day of Play". I was hoping someone else would take me up on it. Someone ('cough' @Zyaldar) did and ran even further with it, inspiring others to join in the fun. While this didn't necessarily increase my donations, it did rally a community around Extra Life and likely raised money for someone else, which, hey that's a win for me. 

This year I am angling to get more folks into the "Repeat Payments". I have two devout donors on it so far, setting me up for success in November. 

I schedule out my emails, Facebook posts and tweets, I make sure to have consistent content and updates. I am forceful but fun. 

• Like 4

I try to use Facebook, but I am not a heavy poster so I think my posts for this get buried or never even seen by most of my "friends".  There is a algorithm that forces things you comment on and like to the top of your page all the time on Facebook, so unless you are constantly posting and getting others involved in your conversation with comments, you will never reach your entire friends list.

Last year I had the most luck by putting together an incentive chart and when I got close to a goal dollar amount I email blasted a bunch of co workers.  That got the ball rolling.  

I would love to find more ways to actually reach more people though, so I will be following this thread.

I created a bit of a following in a game I play's community.  It helps that I was a player-commentator for their annual tournament, so I got to sit behind an official-looking desk during the tournament and talk about Extra Life in front of 20,000 viewers.  This has been tapering off, but certainly worked like a charm that year.  I ran an in-game event and on the day of the event alone I raised over $7,000.  Last year I piggybacked on that and ran the event again, though I wasn't a commentator so lacked the podium.  Still raised $2,500 during the event.  

I use Facebook and Twitter for the most part, and have been sending out targeted emails to family members, but need to start tapping into other sources.  Maybe an email blast will be something I try this year, though I'm wary about filling everyone's inbox too often.  

Challenges are certainly a great way to do it.  Last year I challenged my friends and family to help me hit $5,000 before my event.  If I did, I agreed to get the Extra Life logo tattooed on my arm along with an 8-bit Zelda heart container underneath it as an armband in progress tracking every year I've participated.  My appointment is on Saturday afternoon.  I'll be getting three hearts, and by year end a fourth.  It'll be my first tattoo, so I've put out a challenge on Facebook.  If people want my wife to make a video of me whining through the pain, I need to raise $50 by Saturday morning. 

Last year I offered to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent for X amount of time for every Y raised.  I'm not much of a horror guy so I was absolutely dreading playing it, but play it I did.  

• Like 2

Twitter was my primary, and I made sure to post about upcoming events 1-2 weeks before hand and remind people regularly. Proper hashtags made all the difference and I always try to make a game out of it with themed events or giveaways, etc.

I also utilized my family and had them share any posts I made and pass out flyers to family members I couldn't contact as easily.

The most effective method for me, however, was making friends in the forums and with streamers who are already Extra Lifers. Once you get friendly with someone, they start to host your stream or send people your way on social media, etc.. People support those who support them :D 

I need to utilize email blasts this year - they seem very effective - but just social media and connecting with other like minded people is a solid method for me :) 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bacchanalian said:

If I did, I agreed to get the Extra Life logo tattooed on my arm along with an 8-bit Zelda heart container underneath it as an armband in progress tracking every year I've participated.  

This is exactly what I want to get, and I think I might some time this year.

1 hour ago, CAWZY said:

This is exactly what I want to get, and I think I might some time this year.

Check the tattoo thread Saturday night or Sunday to see how mine turns out!

• Like 3

Twitch, Twitter and Facebook have been my main ways to get the word out there. Twitch and Twitter for the world and Facebook to let friends and Family know what I am working on. I tired flyers and such but that seemed expensive and ended up covering sidewalks instead of passing along the goals.

Most of my funds come directly from the event I run, or my work colleagues (if they are feeling generous.)

I've sent out emails, hit social media hard and got nothing from those.  I've even asked friends that have a bigger social media presence than I do for help and didn't yield much. 

I've used Facebook a ton as I have a fairly intense personal story to tell with my son's experience that really pulls on the heartstrings.  It's worked extremely well for me, but I'd still like to grow the ability to reach beyond my Facebook friends, especially now that I'll be hitting my seventh year. 

I've started to experiment with streaming some, and may try and put together a youtube video with his story specifically for Extra Life this year. 

• Like 1

So far I've done EL twice.

Last year my biggest donor was someone who liked The Witcher when I was playing and gave me $100.  Might be someone from these forums because I'd announced I was doing a mini-marathon. Or it might be coincidence.

This year so far my biggest donor was my younger brother who did it because I said I'd do one pushup / $1 donated. I also got a small donation from someone who'd provided a game for me to cover on Youtube for exposure. When I sent him the link to my Youtube vid, he donated. I've been hoping that someone else would donate from my Youtube vids (basically usually an archive of my stream), but no one else so far. I'm gearing up to start adding in an "ad" midway through the video reminding people that I'm at X% and asking them to help me get to the end.

I'm struggling this year, at least relative to years past.  Mostly just not getting the traction on social media I have in past years.  My EVE event announcement has seen next to no response either, though EVE going free to play before the event means I'll be able to track down support outside of the EVE community (translation, a lot of you people will be showing up to the event December 3rd...just saying) and snowball the event...hopefully.

• Like 1

I've also seen an explosion of gaming charity events - there's at least one a month on Twitch if not more. Maybe it's just charity burn out?

I've also seen an explosion of gaming charity events - there's at least one a month on Twitch if not more. Maybe it's just charity burn out?

I use twitter alot. i've also gained a lot of friends in different gaming communities that help me promote. i post on facebook a bit, but i'm not very active on there so it tends to get lost. But the promotion i get from friends really helps spread the word for me. Then they all show up on my game day and donate as well. so i get a lot of support. :) but it has taken a bit to get that community built up. i'm also annoying on twitter (which i saw someone mention) so they don't forget! :)

The first two years I did EL, I mostly just blasted out on social media, which was okay. What I have changed this year is that I started streaming on twitch. I have had three pretty big donor-trains. One that was randomly started by a viewer (with a huge alert on the screen and lots of excitement) that continued for about an hour, and two others during Just Dance marathons, where I took $2 song requests (there was a lot of Ra-Ra-Rasputin...like a lot). It was fun and engaging. Donors want to feel good about donating, so I do my best to make sure every donor (from $1 to $100) knows how much I appreciate their contribution. 

• Like 2

Be it online or off, my secret weapon isn't so secret: I just pretty much never shut up about Extra Life. LOL.

Oh. Also... Pepperoni Rolls.

Edited by K8Morosky
pepperoni rolls
  • Like 1

I'm a bit different (...) in that because of my son I already have a community where I can target. Our #Dominicstrong Facebook group now numbers about 1,500.

We have an annual auction through the group and made $10,005 this past weekend. I spent a month going to businesses, telling them we're raising money for the local children's hospital, and collecting donations. Each of those became a photo in a photo album, where people bid by commenting.

It is a tremendous amount of work to do something like that but given how much money it raised, I feel it's worth it. Even if you just get a couple people to donate a pair of their tickets to the local sports team's upcoming game (if they have season tickets and can't go) or maybe a game from a local board game cafe, you can use that to raise money.

Just be sure that you're not going around identifying yourself as any sort of official representative of the hospital because you're not. And, at least where I am, I can't then use the tax receipt from the donation I make because the money donated isn't from my income. Always make sure you're on the right side of the law!

• Like 2

I accept challenges <i.e. game goals, or video dedications> from friends, family or co workers Much like Han and Chewy sitting in

Mos Eisley cantina getting ready for their next "job" Or Quarks bar on DS9.I've raised 100% of my donations this way!!!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_9yo8PDhTmoVMxV-IgvQVA

Check out my Mos Eisley list to see what I mean. Hey, it's crazy but it works!!! B)

15 hours ago, Bot Hunter said:

I accept challenges <i.e. game goals, or video dedications> from friends, family or co workers Much like Han and Chewy sitting in

Mos Eisley cantina getting ready for their next "job" Or Quarks bar on DS9.I've raised 100% of my donations this way!!!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_9yo8PDhTmoVMxV-IgvQVA

Check out my Mos Eisley list to see what I mean. Hey, it's crazy but it works!!! B)

Interesting idea.

Thanks to those who said they blast social media. I posted on Goodreads and got a donation that way.

• Like 1

It's simple, really: I ask everyone I know.  And by everyone, I mean everyone.  

The caveat being, they are mainly people I have built relationships with in some way.  While I get the odd donation from someone I don't really know (i.e. through gaming forum posts), the bulk of them are from friends both online and offline. 

For example, I'm not on social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc...but every year I spread the word via email and Xbox Live.  I ask all the people I game with on XBL.  This is my fifth year doing EL, and the past two years I raised over $1K per event...and roughly half that amount has come from people I only know online, people I game with. 

So I guess my advice is, don't be afraid to ask!  I always start by asking people if I can give them my EL pitch (except when I send out my mass email; that just goes out as is).  And you never know who will say yes.  Just last week, I helped some people complete the new Destiny raid, and when I told them about EL they were happy to donate.  I had literally just met them, but they were friends of a friend and we built a good rapport and the rest is history.

Bottom line is, ask, ask, ask, and don't be shy to tell people about EL when they ask you about what you're up to these days.  You might be pleasantly surprised by the results.

This'll be my first EL, and instead of starting a new thread I'll ask what I wanted to here:

Do we have to use the EL template when streaming? I have one I'm using for one particular game, but I could easily design one for each of the games I plan on playing this year.