Pin Exchange - Extra Life United 2016 - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
K8Morosky

Pin Exchange

Is anyone else trying to decide on something to bring for the pin exchange? I felt kinda bad walking around empty handed and accepting pins and such from all the kids. I've looked into ordering some custom buttons but I'm not sure - does anyone else have some ideas for appropriate little items to swap with the kids? 

• Like 2

I think this is a very nice idea and I've thought of it as well. 

I'm debating on buying some small toys or friendship bracelets from a bulk store like oriental trading company. I wouldn't do candy or edibles because you just never know with kids. It'll have to be small so it will fit in my luggage. 

• Like 2

I grabbed some pins from E3 this year and I think I have a couple from Loot Crate that I am bringing along too. Though we might have time for some custom buttons... @Bacchanalian, thoughts about some Denver Guild Logo buttons?

12 minutes ago, herobyclicking said:

I grabbed some pins from E3 this year and I think I have a couple from Loot Crate that I am bringing along too. Though we might have time for some custom buttons... @Bacchanalian, thoughts about some Denver Guild Logo buttons?

Would love to get some Denver Guild stuff together!  It dawns on me that I have some Loot Crate stuff as well.

• Like 1

To ELU newcomer, what is a pin exchange? I see it scheduled but not sure what it entails. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ik0n said:

To ELU newcomer, what is a pin exchange? I see it scheduled but not sure what it entails. 

It's basically the best part! All of the champion kids parade into the main area and settle into stations while we cheer our heads off for them. Then you get to go greet them one by one and get their autographs stamped  in your champions book. They also hand out pins or some other small token. I didn't quite know what to expect last year so I didn't prepare to actually exchange anything. Hopefully all of you newbies will see this thread and be better prepared than I was! :) 

• Like 1

So hey, I think I found a good site: www.justbuttons.org - Has anyone here used them before?

Anyway, since time is running out, I decided to just go ahead and order some custom 1" pin back buttons with my team name on them. 100 buttons ran me $25+Shipping. Not too bad considering the other price ranges I've found while shopping around. So anyway, it looks like I should receive them by Feb 12, and at that time I will give an update to let you guys know whether it was worthwhile or not. If they turn out nice, I'm definitely going to buy more!

• Like 1

First off, thank you all for explaining what this even is! I'm surprised it wasn't addressed earlier. I would've felt so awkward not having something to give back to those amazing kids! I'll definitely check out the link you posted, @K8Morosky and maybe talk to my Guild leader/Rep to see if we want to do something specific from Chicago, or just individual things. ^_^ Great info, thanks so much!

To give a little more insight on the exchange. Each of our Champions brings a pin or button that represents their state/province/town/hospital to exchange with the other Champions as part of the meet and greet.  They also give these out to the corporate partners, CMN Hospital Employees, and others who come to meet them during the event. Sometimes they're clipped to a small card with their photo and their Miracle Story on it.

There are 65 champions, so keep that in mind.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sapience said:

To give a little more insight on the exchange. Each of our Champions brings a pin or button that represents their state/province/town/hospital to exchange with the other Champions as part of the meet and greet.  They also give these out to the corporate partners, CMN Hospital Employees, and others who come to meet them during the event. Sometimes they're clipped to a small card with their photo and their Miracle Story on it.

There are 65 champions, so keep that in mind.

That's awesome!! Thanks for the info! I'm definitely brining something to exchange! Also thanks for the number! 

2 hours ago, Ik0n said:

So we can give them something after they give their pin, right?

Well it is called a pin exchange. ;)

Seriously though, as I remember it, giving something back wasn't required, but I do recall that it was commonplace enough that I felt bad not having anything to give. The kids are always in awe of how they get treated like superstars, and it's fun to add to that feeling for them by giving them something unique. I know I sound cheesy here, but I love the idea of giving them an item that I've personalized. It's sharing a little piece of myself with each of them, and I like to think it's a nice gesture.  ^_^ 

I have some extra extra life dice. I'm probably going to set aside a bunch and give those out.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2016 at 11:34 AM, Asaomar said:

I have some extra extra life dice. I'm probably going to set aside a bunch and give those out.

You stole my idea!! HAHA

• Like 1

16 hours ago, K8Morosky said:

Update! The buttons I ordered arrived today. They look great! 

Nice! I just ordered mine this morning! Who'd you order from?

1 hour ago, Loomin said:

Nice! I just ordered mine this morning! Who'd you order from?

Justbuttons.org - it was really easy, and it's one of the best prices I've found in my searching. 25$ plus shipping for 100 one inch buttons. I had them made with my team graphic that I came up with in 2011 and have been using since. :)

Going to be ordering from that site as well, fantastic idea and thanks for sharing.  I missed the exchange last year and was bummed to have missed it (I had a 6 month old around the time of EL last year who kept me up all night before my red-eye flight, so I never really caught up on sleep and think I just crashed that morning/afternoon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bacchanalian said:

Going to be ordering from that site as well, fantastic idea and thanks for sharing.  I missed the exchange last year and was bummed to have missed it (I had a 6 month old around the time of EL last year who kept me up all night before my red-eye flight, so I never really caught up on sleep and think I just crashed that morning/afternoon.

Are you doing Denver Guild Buttons? If so I will throw in for that, just let me know. 

55 minutes ago, herobyclicking said:

Are you doing Denver Guild Buttons? If so I will throw in for that, just let me know. 

Good question.  I'm either doing Denver Guild, Team Savannah, or both.  Will let you know once I look at pricing tonight.

So thankful for this thread. Am now getting some special things made to give to the kids.

• Like 3

Pins came in! So happy they made to on time and turned out neat! 100 for $25! Cannot complain. Hopefully we can trade amongst each other too! :D 

• Like 2