OBS MP: Video Source - Live Streaming Tips & Tricks - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
djotaku

OBS MP: Video Source

Hey guys,

Posted this on the OBS forums and no response, but I know a lot of you guys use OBS.

I'm using OBS-MP on Windows and I have an appeal video via video source on one of my scenes. The video starts playing as soon as I launch OBS, whether or not I'm in that scene. (XSplit, by contrast, waits until I go to that scene to start).

I know one way around it would be to use VLC and window capture, but apart from being clunky, it's more stuff I have to wrangle with while trying to stream. Any settings I can tick to get the video to only start when I go to that scene?

Odd, I don't use MP (just plain old OBS) but that doesn't happen to me. It'll only start playing when the scene is active - otherwise it wouldn't be on the stream at all, right?

I do wish you could start/stop videos in the stream easier, but then that's why VLC or any other window capture would work better.

My guess it's an MP thing. I found it a bit lacking for what I wanted to do so I went back to regular OBS. So that'd be my recommendation.

Well, thanks for the info. I wonder.....maybe what I need to do is tell it not to loop and then if it finishes, it'll load from the beginning when I go back in? I think I tried that once, but I'll check it out again.

15 hours ago, djotaku said:

Hey guys,

Posted this on the OBS forums and no response, but I know a lot of you guys use OBS.

I'm using OBS-MP on Windows and I have an appeal video via video source on one of my scenes. The video starts playing as soon as I launch OBS, whether or not I'm in that scene. (XSplit, by contrast, waits until I go to that scene to start).

I know one way around it would be to use VLC and window capture, but apart from being clunky, it's more stuff I have to wrangle with while trying to stream. Any settings I can tick to get the video to only start when I go to that scene?

There is no "video source" in OBS Multiplatform. Are you referring to "Media Source"? If so then OBS Multiplatform can not do what you want. The original OBS can however. It is because in Multiplatform the media sources are global and in the original OBS they were not. In the future you will be able to start/stop/restart video media sources in Multiplatform but right now unfortunately you can not. Here is a thread on the OBS forums explaining this... - https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/playing-back-media-sources.32863/

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I love OBS Multiplatform so would be happy to assist.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gektek said:

There is no "video source" in OBS Multiplatform. Are you referring to "Media Source"? If so then OBS Multiplatform can not do what you want. The original OBS can however. It is because in Multiplatform the media sources are global and in the original OBS they were not. In the future you will be able to start/stop/restart video media sources in Multiplatform but right now unfortunately you can not. Here is a thread on the OBS forums explaining this... - https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/playing-back-media-sources.32863/

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I love OBS Multiplatform so would be happy to assist.

Thanks! So helpful and good to know they're working on it!

• Like 1