Mokinns

"Retro"/"Parent" Initiative

Happy Monday!

I'm not sure if this would work better as a fundraising idea or a recruiting idea, but the thought may kick start something either way!

I had made a list of some ideas for outreach and a "retro initiative" came to mind.

Not necessarily a push for playing old Mario games or anything like that, but more of a way to reach parents or older generations. I know when I try to explain Extra Life to my mom (who was a PC gamer back in the day) it's still a bit over her head.

Maybe Extra Lifers could ask their parents what they played as kids, or even as adults, and we could somehow use that to peak their interest in signing up themselves, or at the very least help them better relate to the program and be more willing to support and donate.

For example, my mom played a lot of Riven when I was growing up. I never hear mention of that game anymore, but I know it was popular and it might peak some memories for people.

Then today I saw a campaign from Netflix called #HookUpYourParents as a way to show how easy it is for those who may not be up to date with technology to download, register, and use Netflix.
It pretty much nailed the idea I had in mind, so I figured I'd share the thought.

I don't know how I would run with this idea, but if anyone else thinks it may work maybe we can brainstorm something great!

:D 

• Like 1

This is a cool twist, the title caught my attention!  I will keep this in mind for upcoming events, and see if we can gather some interest in it.

Great idea

Vadath

• Like 1

@BBH Mokinns Love this idea! I few other Extra Life chapters have used the retro games at booths and at  more-kid focused events to attract their parents. Let's definitely look into options with this. thanks for sharing...and let me know how I can help!

• Like 1