Sign in to follow this  
Benevolent Ben

Favorite Wii U titles?

So I recently became the proud owner of a Wii U. So far my kids and I have been having a blast with New Super Mario Bros. (and New Super Luigi) U, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Super Mario Kart 8, and Super Mario 3D World. To be perfectly honest, I had the least expectations for Super Mario 3D World, but that has ended up surprising me the most and becoming one of our favorite games to play! Anyone else have any recommendations for really good Wii U titles?

Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are a lot of fun! The Pikmin 3 controls do take a bit to get used to. The time trials are challenging and a great way to exercise your time-management skills and strategy.

I never really got into any of the Pikmin games but I always heard they were good. But I'm super-excited to be reminded of Donkey Kong! I loved the one on the Wii and can't believe I overlooked the Wii U entry into the series! I'll definitely have to give that one a try I think! Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now Im hooked on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Mario Kart 8. Mario Kart makes me so salty though ><

Two words: Blue Shell

Getting hit with that and then having 4 people pass you when youre 10 feet away from the finish line ><

My number one favorite title for the system that I will constantly sing the praises of is The Wonderful 101. It's such a shame that it has gotten a mostly tepid response, as it is a game that just does so much so well. It is a game that knows it is a video game and isn't ashamed of it (similarly to Kid Icarus: Uprising, oddly enough). You can tell the developers had a love and passion for it from start to finish.

Unfortunately, it also doesn't demo well. There's a lot that the game's demo doesn't really tell you, and it gives many the impression that it's clunky and even difficult. I first played it at PAX East in 2013, and while I had fun with it, I realized after I purchased and played the game that there was so much I could have done in that demo that would have made it easier. So much that went unexplained. It's a really tightly knit action game that is actually well balanced in difficulty, making it easier for more casual players as well as a proper challenge with in-depth systems for hardcore fans. Much more focused on knowing what "weapons" to use against what foes than memorizing combos.

I highly recommend folks rent that game if they're uncertain, but The Wonderful 101 is still my favorite on the system.

Oddly enough, I found Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge to be pretty fun as well.

How is no one praising the system seller that is TANK! TANK! TANK!?

We had an Extra Life Marathon a few weekends ago where we played several Wii and WiiU games. Super Mario 3D World was a lot of fun because you can do this...

haha my wife was about to kill me XD