Themed Streams! - Live Streaming Tips & Tricks - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content

Hey everyone!

One of the "streaming tricks" I will be doing this year on are themes for the different holidays throughout the year. I find that making themed overlays & alerts, hanging festive background decorations, having holiday giveaways, etc., all add to the appeal and really help engage viewers.

Halloween and Christmas were fun successes for me last year, so this year I'll be doing everything I can! Valentine's Day, 4th of July, etc.
I purposely don't use a green screen so that I can utilize the wall behind me to hang decorations or even to post up a viewer's name and give them some special attention if I'm doing a giveaway or contest or something.

For example, on Valentine's day I will be "giving away" personalized video game themed digital valentine's cards to donators and hanging hearts on the wall behind me with their name on it for the duration of the stream.

I think it's important to find new ways to be interactive with viewers and bring in new people, and this is a tip that works for me!

Happy Fundraising!

• Like 6

I did a "Pi-Day" mini-thon last year.  Sadly, can't repeat that again.  But yep, if's always fun to break out a theme for a one-shot, and promote the heck out of it beforehand.

• Like 1

My team and I have done several horror themed streams! Typically it's for Halloween but we have also done Friday the 13th horror streams as well. Those are fun too! 

Another theme we have done is an anniversary themed stream. Last year there were a couple games that had milestone anniversaries (15, 20, 25, etc...) years. This was a lot of fun reliving the good old games :D

• Like 1

Maybe we can begin this next week. February has Valentine's Day and is the 2nd month of the year. 

So, we can call it couples month, and could focus content on anything that has a two in it. 

Coop games, sequels, dating simulators, games with strong co-leads (i.e. Ratchet and Clank,)

Thoughts?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TheGeekyHusband said:

Maybe we can begin this next week. February has Valentine's Day and is the 2nd month of the year. 

So, we can call it couples month, and could focus content on anything that has a two in it. 

Coop games, sequels, dating simulators, games with strong co-leads (i.e. Ratchet and Clank,)

Thoughts?

Here, here!

I will look at my pile of games and see what is relevant/appropriate. Thanks for the reminder @TheGeekyHusband

• Like 1

On 1/28/2016 at 0:56 PM, TheGeekyHusband said:

Thoughts?

Sounds like a plan to me! I will look to see what I have. :D

And here I go completely forgetting about the theme during my time on the EL channel last night and instead played FFXIV. I mean... technically I was playing with someone so does that count as a couple? haha I will have to remember for next week XD

On 2/5/2016 at 10:32 AM, Zyaldar said:

And here I go completely forgetting about the theme during my time on the EL channel last night and instead played FFXIV. I mean... technically I was playing with someone so does that count as a couple? haha I will have to remember for next week XD

I mean, you were playing with a couple or more friends on Terraria :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cptjecht said:

I mean, you were playing with a couple or more friends on Terraria :D

haha true! Which actually gave me an idea for streaming on the Extra Life channel. I had a blast with this game and I think it would be fun to do it again with more EL members :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zyaldar said:

I had a blast with this game and I think it would be fun to do it again with more EL members :D

#TerrariaTuesdays?

• Like 1

On 1/12/2016 at 9:20 AM, BBH Mokinns said:

One of the "streaming tricks" I will be doing this year on are themes for the different holidays throughout the year. I find that making themed overlays & alerts, hanging festive background decorations, having holiday giveaways, etc., all add to the appeal and really help engage viewers.

I think it's important to find new ways to be interactive with viewers and bring in new people, and this is a tip that works for me!

I started streaming a little over a year ago and always take advantage of special events and holidays when streaming. Similar to you, @BBH Mokinns, I will create special overlays, alerts, activities, giveaways, etc., and sometimes dress up for the occasion! Themed streams in general are a lot of fun, in my opinion, and interaction with viewers (especially genuine interactions) can make a huge difference. I think this is great and sound advice for anyone who is streaming, and incorporating it into your fundraising is brilliant.

Some Holidays and Occasions for Themed Streams:

• New Year's Eve/Day
  • Valentine's Day
  • St. Patrick's Day
  • 4th of July
  • Halloween
  • Thanksgiving
  • #GivingTuesday (Tuesday following Thanksgiving)
  • Christmas
  • Hanukkah
  • Your Birthday
  • Your stream "birthday"/"anniversary"
  • The anniversary of a game you often stream
  • The official launch of a game you've been playing in Alpha/Beta or have been anticipating
  • Like 2