Extra Life 2016 Aliases - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
MajorLinux

Extra Life 2016 Aliases

I'm having an issue with the Extra Life 2016 alias.  I like to be able to use http://extra-life.org/participant/majorlinux for my 2016 page, but, as you can see, it links to my 2015 page.  There is no way to change it. When I try to apply "majorlinux" to 2016, it states "The alias you entered is currently in use." When trying to remove the alias from 2015, I cannot enter the editing page as 2015 is over. I would like to get this to work as I have links and redirects in place on Twitch, YouTube, and my personal site that will "break" if I can't move the alias to 2016.

Is there anything that I can do to get this to work properly? Having the alias is a lot easier to give people than a whole bunch of numbers. I mean, I can barely remember my own phone number...

• Like 1

Same goes for our personal page aliases too.

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but I believe it will eventually begin to work. I think there is just a transitional period, but I'm sure someone will confirm.

• Like 1

Getting the same feedback on other places. Maybe try in a week.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had this issue last year too. When I spoke to someone in support I was told that this happens before they archive the pages from the previous year. I'm sure if we just give them a little more time, it'll all get worked out. We early birds are just a little too quick. After all, they do deserve a little time for catching their breath after another record breaking year. :) 

Sound about right, @Sapience?

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone. Sorry for jumping the gun on this one! Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

lol no jumping the gun, it's good that you asked! I'm sure other people had the same question, so now they can easily find the answer :) 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BBH Mokinns said:

lol no jumping the gun, it's good that you asked! I'm sure other people had the same question, so now they can easily find the answer :) 

I would be one of those people :D I came here to ask this exact question, so thanks for clearing it up!

• Like 1

Hi all!

Sorry, I was making the epic Florida to Massachusetts drive the past few days and wasn't able to respond.

Looks like you've already figured it out, but I'll give you the official "you're right" answer.

The URLs take a bit of time to get recycled and cleared. So, yes they'll become available, but it might take a week or so before they do. It's entirely possible it could take longer, but they will be released for reuse again in 2016.

• Like 6

On 1/4/2016 at 3:50 PM, Sapience said:

Hi all!

Sorry, I was making the epic Florida to Massachusetts drive the past few days and wasn't able to respond.

Looks like you've already figured it out, but I'll give you the official "you're right" answer.

The URLs take a bit of time to get recycled and cleared. So, yes they'll become available, but it might take a week or so before they do. It's entirely possible it could take longer, but they will be released for reuse again in 2016.

Any update on this? Still unable to claim a custom alias for my page

4 hours ago, TheTolsonator said:

Checked in on this. It's tied to when we archive the previous years pages. We can't do that until all accounting and reporting for 2015 is finished. That's usually around mid February. That's when the alias should be freed up.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheTolsonator said:

Checked in on this. It's tied to when we archive the previous years pages. We can't do that until all accounting and reporting for 2015 is finished. That's usually around mid February. That's when the alias should be freed up.

Well this sounds like a good problem to have. We raised so much money, we can't have aliases until next year!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2