Sign in to follow this  
Mokinns

Tips/Advise/Ideas for 2016!

Hi everyone!

I posted this thread in my Guild forum and we've had some great responses, so I can only imagine what the rest of you can share!

Since things have slowed down and we've all enjoyed a well earned rest after our year of fundraising, I thought it would be a good idea to get each other pumped and ready for next year!

Fundraising is soon to end for 2015 and I'd love to hear some of the lessons you learned this year in your adventures with Extra Life - or any new ideas you are bringing with you into next year's efforts!

• Like 2

- Keep it fresh in peoples minds.  Talk about it; if you are as passionate as I am and as I know some of you are, you will be doing this anyway.  A lot of times if you post on Facebook, or send an email, or just tell someone, they forget about it.  People live busy lives and just need a reminder every now and then.  Talking about Extra Life will attract others to the fun as well.

@BBH Mokinns I read your guild thread.  What all goes into this T-shirt Idea?  I might steal that.

• Like 3

@CAWZY I personally bought a white t-shirt and anyone who donated got their name on the shirt and I wore it on stream on game day. The bigger donation the bigger the name!

Some people set donation goals - $10 gets your name on the shirt, etc. And I know one person who listed the names on his official Extra Life shirt after he got it rather than starting with a white shirt.

It was a fun way to give people recognition and get them excited when they see their name.

This year I think I'll start it early and if they donate while I'm streaming I'll stop what I'm doing and add their name right then. And if they donate when I'm off stream I'll tweet them a picture of the add or something. 

Plus it makes for a great memory for me when the year is over :D 

• Like 3

I'll take a second to share what I did :D I made an incentive list. So ehnever I hit a certain amount of donations, I would have to do something that I really wouldn't normally want to do. This included wearing gear of a sports team I hate during my stream (every tier I hit, I would have to wear it longer), shaving a mustache for the stream (hence the profile pic), eating pickles (they're disgusting and should disappear forever), waxing my chest/legs on video, and running a 5K some time in 2016. 

It worked really well for me. I had people telling me to let them know if I hadn't hit a certain tier by a certain time so they could push it over the top. That being said, I highly recommend either setting your goal really high or making incentives for tiers even higher than your goal. As soon as I hit my 500 dollars and "Run a 5K" tier, the donations stopped. I had my goal originally set at $1000 and cut it in half because I thought there was no way I was going to get there. I would have rather missed my goal and collected $600+ than make my goal but bring in less money. Either way, it was a great success for my first year!

I'm excited to start brainstorming ideas for next year. 

566f32a45a9e9_Incentives2.0.png.c99aa035

• Like 2

I like the tiered idea. I have seen that with a number of Extra Lifers, it seems to work pretty well. I'm pretty sure that is why @Zyaldar s hair is blue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/15/2015 at 5:56 AM, CAWZY said:

I like the tiered idea. I have seen that with a number of Extra Lifers, it seems to work pretty well. I'm pretty sure that is why @Zyaldar s hair is blue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

Yup! The stretch goals was a fun idea! I didn't reach all of them but that's okay because I am transferring the goals that I didn't reach to hit next year as well! 

• Like 2

In the past I have done, donate to pick a game that will be played. Each of my donors got to pick a game I played during game day.

It got a bit crazy trying to fit them all in. Maybe having a tiered system for that too or at least a minimum donation. 

Every year I hand write thank you cards to all my donors that I personally know. I have had great responses to having something personal sent out afterwards. (harder for people who have large number of donors or anonymous donors.) 

• Like 2

I love the handwritten card idea. I may use that.

Last year I hand made pillows for larger donations, but I think a card for all donations would be awesome!

I may hang the name of every donator I get on the wall behind me on stream throughout the year too. It would be awesome to have a full wall at the end of the year!!

• Like 1

I think I am going to try to push for a repeat payment year. Small donations each month is not as daunting as the big chunk around the holidays, where money is scarce as it is for a lot of folks. 

I am preparing a thank you song, specifically for my $100+ donors for 2015, just a bit behind schedule :/

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, FoxRacingGurl said:

Every year I hand write thank you cards to all my donors that I personally know. I have had great responses to having something personal sent out afterwards. (harder for people who have large number of donors or anonymous donors.)

This reminds me of the Dwarf Fortress guys, they hand draw a scenario or legendary creature if you donate to them. The super scary creatures are randomly generated so there are some....interesting...things that your dwarves may fight. Pretty neat!

• Like 2

A thank you song?! Awesome!

I haven't really thought of a good way to suggest repeat payments. I actually haven't thought of recurring payments at all lol I've only focused on single donations.

Let us know if you think of any ways to effectively ask for that @herobyclicking.

Here are my stretch "Rewards".  Basically people can make me do embarrassing things if they donate.  ( I need to make a fancy graphic for these, I think)

$200 - My Daughters will paint my nails, and I must wear them that way to work.

$500 - I Eat 6 Atomic wings at Quaker Steak and Lube

$700 - My Daughters will give me a make over (pretty makeup and a nice hair style).  I must stay that way for the remainder of the day no matter where we go.

$800 - Participate in a 5k Dressed in a goofy outfit, or possibly clothes chosen by donors.

$1000 - I get my legs waxed.....ouch.  Let the hilarity insue.

Bonus Streatch incentives!!

$1200 - I shave my head

$1500 - I agree to do the cat litter, for the Girl's Cat Tina, for one year.

• Like 2

Haha I love those! These ideas are so helpful. I can't wait to think mine up.

I really like the atomic wings idea. I may do like...a spiciest food challenge or most sour food or something like that. 

And hey, if you'd like you can come clean my cat's litter boxes if you reach $2000. I'm willing to allow you to make that sacrifice @CAWZY Kappa

• Like 2

I'm working on tiers and stretch goals too. Some ideas so far:

$1: Thank you and shout out on social media and during the stream.

$25: pick a rock band song (instrument and difficulty of your choosing)

$35: pick a dance central song. Max 25 donors, 1 dance per hour- good exercise during the marathon.

$50: pick any game for me to play for 30 minutes (can be hard or annoying). Max 10 donors.

$100: personal drawing. Max 5 donors. I like drawing characters for our RPG campaigns and such.

$150: personal craft project by my fiancé. Max 5 donors. Maybe a crocheted Myr doll?

Stretch Goals:

$500: Play in my Halo armor for 2 hours.

$1000: Rock out in armor for a full setlist.

$1500: Dance in armor for all the Dance Central songs.

I need some other non-armor stretch goals though. I am a manager in an office, so it cant be shaving or wearing makeup to work. Trying to keep it to the event or the rewards.

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bought a maniquin with Christmas money, so here it is on display in our game room. More discussion and pics in the cosplay thread.

76ea133d7aaf584e4c90684626ff6fe9.jpg

b604cf43e0f357e2c5f5009890c00e94.jpg

c4eb360ee83bfe72f5ccdef1d4b89766.jpg

fb90bd2014d1921b8bcbba1037ee6c38.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I've used up all my likes for the day but OMG that is awesome!!!!! The jealousy is real.

16 hours ago, BBH Mokinns said:

Haha I love those! These ideas are so helpful. I can't wait to think mine up.

I really like the atomic wings idea. I may do like...a spiciest food challenge or most sour food or something like that. 

And hey, if you'd like you can come clean my cat's litter boxes if you reach $2000. I'm willing to allow you to make that sacrifice @CAWZY Kappa

I dont know....thats an awful lot of cat litter.  Doing the cat litter is one of my most hated chores.  Mainly because.....not my cat.

9 hours ago, MyrHerder said:

$1500: Dance in armor for all the Dance Central songs.

Oh I'm going to start a collection...

• Like 2

Clarification: this is all songs which qualifying donors have picked for me per the previously mentioned incentives- not all songs in the game.

Sent using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, MyrHerder said:

Clarification: this is all songs which qualifying donors have picked for me per the previously mentioned incentives- not all songs in the game.

SF8MzIP.gif

• Like 1

What I'm doing this year and I have little to no following but hopefully that will change! I'm going with #ExtraLife365 and I'm doing a little mini-stream every month. Every month is gonna be a different theme. For example, I played indie games for January.

This way Extra Life is on all of my feeds a lot more and the name is out there more.

• Like 3