Calling All Idle Twitchers! - /host ExtraLife4Kids - Live Streaming Tips & Tricks - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
KnightHarbinger

Calling All Idle Twitchers! - /host ExtraLife4Kids

Everyone with a Twitch account, when not broadcasting themselves, should default to /host ExtraLife4Kids.  That's gotta help somewhere in the annals of the metrics calculus of the great popularity/viewership interwebz machine..?!? ;0 ;~)

I am curious the prevailing wisdom/opinions of our Extra Life Dream Stream Team;)

o/  ;)

• Like 3

@Sapience I wondered what yall, The Official Extra Life Team, thought of sending out a mass email to the entire global Extra Life community asking to support the Extra Life Twitch Stream..?  Basically hitting the following 3 points.

How yall frame that is of course up to yall.  But damn that ought to give the Extra Life StreamTeam one helluva boost!! ;0 ;)

o/  ;)

• Like 1

Not at all @djotaku - anyone can do it. Just type /host ExtraLife4Kids in your channel's chat when you're offline and you'll start hosting! Hosting will automatically stop when the stream stops, or just type /unhost in your channel chat when you want to stop it. :D

I never thought of this, so this is great information! I hardly ever stream unless it is for Extra Life so I like that I can still help even when I'm not engaged. 

• Like 1

Oh, awesome. I'll have to start hosting some of my team-mates in Extra Life to give Extra Coverage. (Although it's not like I have a lot of followers)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, djotaku said:

Oh, awesome. I'll have to start hosting some of my team-mates in Extra Life to give Extra Coverage. (Although it's not like I have a lot of followers)

Image if you had 10 followers and 30 other people also had 10 followers and you all hosted the official channel. That's potentially 300 new viewers. That's a significant impact I'd say!

Very true. If I'd known I would have hosted the official channel last year since I was out of town and couldn't to any streaming on the official day.

8 minutes ago, Sapience said:

Image if you had 10 followers and 30 other people also had 10 followers and you all hosted the official channel. That's potentially 300 new viewers. That's a significant impact I'd say!

How does twitch handle hosting of hosting? So if @Zyaldar host Extra Life, and I host Zyaldar, will it redirect twice? XD

Just now, cptjecht said:

How does twitch handle hosting of hosting? So if @Zyaldar host Extra Life, and I host Zyaldar, will it redirect twice? XD

Unfortunately no. Twitch changed the way hosting works. So for example if you were hosting me and then I closed down the stream and started hosting another channel, you will exit your hosting mode. We cannot host offline channels any more (which is troublesome because if you are hosting another channel and their stream crashes, you have to rehost them.)

However, what you mentioned would have been a really cool idea to help redirect hosts to another live channel. 

1 minute ago, Zyaldar said:

Unfortunately no. Twitch changed the way hosting works. So for example if you were hosting me and then I closed down the stream and started hosting another channel, you will exit your hosting mode. We cannot host offline channels any more (which is troublesome because if you are hosting another channel and their stream crashes, you have to rehost them.)

Ahh gotcha, that would make sense. I would imagine they wouldn't want organized trolls hosting each other 100 times deep.

• Like 1

Just now, cptjecht said:

Ahh gotcha, that would make sense. I would imagine they wouldn't want organized trolls hosting each other 100 times deep.

Very true. I didn't even think about the trolls lol

Ah, boo! But, I guess it does help protect you because what if this happened:

I host @Zyaldar because he's playing Undertail. Then I leave and @Zyaldar gets tired of playing and then hosts Strip Poker. Now I'm hosting Strip Poker. And maybe I don't like that because I have built a reputation as a rated G Twither.

I was stretching a bit there, because I think Twitch already doesn't allow rated M games, but it's teh best reason I could think of for not allowing hosting of hosting.

• Like 1

Just now, djotaku said:

Ah, boo! But, I guess it does help protect you because what if this happened:

I host @Zyaldar because he's playing Undertail. Then I leave and @Zyaldar gets tired of playing and then hosts Strip Poker. Now I'm hosting Strip Poker. And maybe I don't like that because I have built a reputation as a rated G Twither.

I was stretching a bit there, because I think Twitch already doesn't allow rated M games, but it's teh best reason I could think of for not allowing hosting of hosting.

That is true too! I didn't think about that. 

By the way, M rated games are allowed on Twitch. AO however is not allowed. Surprisingly there's not a whole lot of games that are actually banned from twitch. I was actually talking to @gektek earlier about these games here: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1992676-list-of-prohibited-games

Battle Rape? I can't understand why that's banned.

/sarcasm!!!!

Interestingly, I think at least one of those banned games is a VN that's always coming up for me on steam as a recommendation because I played a VN once. (Even though the VN I played was like PG/PG-13, not explicit like that one must be to be banned on twitch)

• Like 1

On 12/8/2015 at 5:06 PM, KnightHarbinger said:

sending out a mass email to the entire global Extra Life community asking to support the Extra Life Twitch Stream..?  Basically hitting the following 3 points.

I think this is a great idea, @KnightHarbinger! I also think the Official Extra Life Team should consider emailing this information to participants and donors once all of the gaps/slots in the schedule are filled (that way there is consistent streaming occurring). I would also suggest they take this opportunity a step further, and after filling all existing time slots they add additional slots to existing days and open up slots Mondays and Tuesdays. Then, they could add a second segment to that email encouraging folks to get involved by streaming or moderating (for the Stream Team) during those new open times. Piggybacking off what you wrote, this would be my suggestion:

"Dear [Insert Name],

[Insert message about Extra Life, CMNH, Stream Team, etc.]

Here is how you can get more involved, #ForTheKids:

• Sign-up on Twitch and Follow ExtraLife4Kids - Following will give you the opportunity to receive email notifications when livestreams are occurring on Extra Life's Official Twitch Channel, and to come hang out, have fun, and support the mission. You can find the current Stream Team schedule here.
  • Host ExtraLife4Kids on Twitch - When you aren't livestreaming, host Extra Life's Official Twitch Channel. This helps bring exposure to the organization through viewership and followers. You can do this by typing /host ExtraLife4Kids in your own channel's chat.
  • Join the Stream Team! - If you're a streamer or willing to stream, consider applying for a 2hr/wk slot on Extra Life's Official Stream Team! Click here to apply.
  • Moderate the ExtraLife4Kids Channel on Twitch - if you have experience moderating Twitch channels, consider applying to be a moderator for Extra Life's Official Twitch Channel. Moderators help keep the channel chat positive, appropriate, and in-line with Extra Life & CMNH's values. Click here to apply."

That is just a - very - rough draft of what I would suggest, but you get the idea. I think this is all encompassing and gives participants and donors the opportunity to get more involved as their lives' and wills' permit.

Extra Life Hosting Fundraising Streamers:

Related to this, I also had an idea of how to further support Extra Life as well as those in community streaming on their behalf. I'm not sure how feasible this would be, but it is just a thought. In the time slots where people aren't streaming directly to ExtraLife4Kids, I think Extra Life should host people who are currently fundraising for Extra Life. I don't per say mean people who just have a link on their Twitch channel for people to click, but people who are doing active fundraisers or marathons. To achieve this, I think a forum could be created along the lines of "Share Your Extra Life Events" or "Share Your Extra Life Marathons"... something along those lines. That way, people can share when they are planning to do their livestream marathon(s). Extra Life/Community Leadership can then check on these profiles - as they do with their Stream Team Application - and make a list of people they will host during the down-time of the Stream Team (when nothing is happening on the ExtraLife4Kids channel). For example, I could go on the forum and say "I'm planning to stream a 12hr marathon for Extra Life on Monday, March 7, 2016 from 8am - 8pm CST." Then, leadership can examine and evaluate my profile. If they believe I am a fit, they could say, "Okay, we will host you from X-TIME to X-TIME" (depending on how many events are occurring on any given day). If there is no other event/marathon occurring that day, they could host that person during the whole gap. Or, if there are 3 events, they could split up the gap equally among the 3 people. These people would be expected to adhere to the same standards as the Stream Team during the time of their host, if their requesting to be hosted. Anyways, this is just food for thought. Never hurts to make a suggestion. :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, S0FTERSIN said:

In the time slots where people aren't streaming directly to ExtraLife4Kids, I think Extra Life should host people who are currently fundraising for Extra Life. I don't per say mean people who just have a link on their Twitch channel for people to click, but people who are doing active fundraisers or marathons. To achieve this, I think a forum could be created along the lines of "Share Your Extra Life Events" or "Share Your Extra Life Marathons"... something along those lines. That way, people can share when they are planning to do their livestream marathon(s).

There was a thread that some seemed to post on a while ago that fit the bill for this. Guess some forgot or just didn't post there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cptjecht said:

There was a thread that some seemed to post on a while ago that fit the bill for this. Guess some forgot or just didn't post there.

I forgot about this thread too :( I should have posted there for my marathon last Sat. 

With that said, I like your idea @S0FTERSIN! In the past I have suggested that the Extra Life channel should host others during their Extra Life marathon but I understand that the process to do that could be difficult to manage. Especially if more than 1 person is doing a marathon at the same time. However, if we had a thread like the one @cptjecht mentioned (which I just posted in to help bump it up) then others can let everyone know that they are doing a marathon and hopefully we can all help by hosting them. 

• Like 1