Mokinns

Advise/Tips for Next Year

Hi everyone!

Since things have slowed down and we've all enjoyed a well earned rest after our year of fundraising, I thought it would be a good idea to get each other pumped and ready for next year!

Fundraising is soon to end for 2015 and I'd love to hear some of the lessons you learned this year in your adventures with Extra Life - or any new ideas you are bringing with you into next year's efforts!

Happy Holidays! ♥

• Like 1

This is a great idea!! 

I found the t-shirt worked really really well. Any donation of $10 or more got a spot on the shirt. I let them pick anything they wanted and I did my best to draw/write it. I did it the last few weeks before the event so I can only imagine how full the shirt would have gotten if I started early.

I streamed this year for the first time as well- and while some coworkers/friends watched every now and then I didn't get any donations from it. 

I hope to stream some games before the event with my donation link available so I can get some views/donations before the event in 2016. 

While we're here, don't forget our last meeting of the year is Sunday, December 13th at Battle and Brew!!!! Bring your ideas/suggestions about 2016 so we can start the year off with a bang!! :) 

• Like 3

I stole the shirt idea from you :P , but I also started it too late! I only started a week before the event, so it wasn't as effective. But it'll be day 1 next year! I hope people bring some awesome ideas to the next meeting :D 

This was my first year, so I've learned a lot! I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I'll post more later if as I think of them!

Things I've learned:

• Donations slow down or stop completely when your goal is reached
    • Resolution: Either up your goal OR create "rewards" at certain values that surpass your goal so that people still have something to work for. Ex. If we raise $100 over goal, I will dye my hair blue!
  • Actions sometimes work better than physical giveaways. Ex. hair dying, eating funny foods on stream, etc.
  • Reach out early and reach out often when attempting to contact local businesses regarding working together for Extra Life. It's very easy for them to forget you reached out, so sometimes they need a pleasant reminder and they need plenty of time to consider working with you.
  • Work with your team if you're part of one
    • Some teams may have members in varying states, so it's easy to work by yourself and have other team members fall off the wagon. Find ways to work together from afar and keep everyone up to date on how you have been doing so you can help motivate their efforts!
  • Utilize the dashboard and the email functions available on the site to keep track and reach out. Make sure to send a Thank You to each donator!!
  • If streaming on Game Day, don't use Extra Life listed as the game you are playing for the whole day - You will likely get more viewers when you list the actual game you are playing and just have Extra Life in the title. Make Extra Life the game if you are playing something less well known or less viewed on Twitch.

What I'll Carry Over Next Year:

• Adding donator names to a special t-shirt that I will wear on Game Day - but start promoting this on day 1 rather then later in the year!
  • Themed streams - I got my biggest donations on Halloween when I did a Halloween themed stream in costume.
  • Utilize the forums and social media to meet new members. This was so essential in building donations/recruits, as well as making new friends to get ideas from!
  • Promote often, but don't spam - promote Extra Life without asking for money every time: just share what we're doing, how things are going, etc.
  • Even when not doing Extra Life specific streams, always have the Extra Life logo somewhere on screen.
  • Have giveaways, but also include more actions I will do for people who donate.
  • Don't get discouraged!!! It's not all about how much you raise - what's important is that you're here and that you're trying. Be thankful for every penny!
  • Like 3

No really new ideas this year, but a better implementation of one I had last year that seemed to help. I created events in G+ and Facebook and invited people instead of relying on regular posts to my profiles on those sites, which are much more ephemeral when it comes to getting attention. I haven't met my fundraising goal for the year (yet), but so far have raised almost twice what I did last year, and I think that had a lot to do with it.

As for recruiting via social media, a friend in Seattle did Extra Life for the first time this year after seeing what I was doing.

• Like 2

Love the Events idea. I really don't use Facebook or G+ and I really think I burnt myself by not utilizing them for this. I will do that next year!

1 hour ago, Maeglin73 said:

No really new ideas this year, but a better implementation of one I had last year that seemed to help. I created events in G+ and Facebook and invited people instead of relying on regular posts to my profiles on those sites, which are much more ephemeral when it comes to getting attention. I haven't met my fundraising goal for the year (yet), but so far have raised almost twice what I did last year, and I think that had a lot to do with it.

As for recruiting via social media, a friend in Seattle did Extra Life for the first time this year after seeing what I was doing.

This is one of those crazy things that the average Facebook user doesn't realize. FB actually hides a large number of your posts from your friends. It uses a complex algorithm to decide what to show someone based on what kinds of posts they've interacted with in the past, how frequently they interact with any given friend's post, and their page settings for seeing specific types on content.  So there is usually only a percentage of your friends who ever even see the posts you make.  This actually gets far worse if you're dealing with a page or a group. It's why FB is a terrible place to try and run an active community.

What you're doing with your invites in pretty much the same as when a company pays for a targeted ad. you're making sure the people who you invite see your message. Free advertising. :)

• Like 3

Wow, I didn't know that! Another reason to add to the list of why I don't use Facebook :P 

With each year our team continues to grow and grow as we learn more. A few key things that we have learned this year that will help us prepare for next year are:

• When streaming, have a schedule and stay consistent. After completing the #100DaysOfGaming Challenge this has been one of the best things that could have happened to us. Having a schedule will let our followers have an idea when we go live every day and as a result a lot of long term viewers became Extra Lifers because of hanging out with me almost daily. 
  • Network with fellow Extra Lifers via social media. Help build and share the community online and show your support to each other through here, Facebook, Twitter, etc... After getting to know some other Extra Lifers, create a message group with them to continue sharing ideas with each other. Organize events with each other if everyone streams and do a multicast. 
  • Setting personal goals was a great addition to my donation campaign this year. It was well received and I have had several Extra Lifers ask me if they could use my idea for theirs as well. I love seeing their pictures/stories of their goals being accomplished. 
  • As a streamer, throughout the year I will have several little giveaways instead of waiting for all of them on the big day. Instead, my team and I will have 1 large gift to giveaway (such as a current gen console) for the game day. Having too many became stressful to deal with so giving them out throughout the year seemed like a better idea and only having 1 large giveaway for the game day. 
  • This year my team and I hosted several local events! This was a huge hit with our community and we are planning more for next year. This was something new that we tried this year and it seemed to work really well. 

These are just a couple of things that I have learned this year. If I can think of more I'll come back and share my ideas/thoughts with everyone. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sapience said:

This is one of those crazy things that the average Facebook user doesn't realize. FB actually hides a large number of your posts from your friends. It uses a complex algorithm to decide what to show someone based on what kinds of posts they've interacted with in the past, how frequently they interact with any given friend's post, and their page settings for seeing specific types on content.  So there is usually only a percentage of your friends who ever even see the posts you make.  This actually gets far worse if you're dealing with a page or a group. It's why FB is a terrible place to try and run an active community.

What you're doing with your invites in pretty much the same as when a company pays for a targeted ad. you're making sure the people who you invite see your message. Free advertising. :)

Later in the year, I started doing regular FB posts as well from time to time. As sticky as event invites are, there are apparently people who don't actually "see" them, the reason in some cases being that they get swamped with event invites and don't have time to actually look at the event page and see what's going on before ignoring or dismissing it.

As for the event itself, one thing I think is key is making it public. That way, if people you invite can't afford to donate for one reason or another, they can still easily help spread the word by posting a link to it or inviting their friends to the event.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BBH Mokinns said:

Wow, I didn't know that! Another reason to add to the list of why I don't use Facebook :P 

Don't let those few reasons prevent you from using it completely! I'll agree that Facebook has it's flaws but I recommend using all forms of social media. More people use Facebook then anything else. It's perfect for setting up event pages and inviting people to local/online events. We use this all the time and receive a great response from people that showed up to our events saying that they found us through our Facebook Event Page. 

• Like 1

Facebook does a lot of things that can result in your posts going into a black hole. Especially on mobile. Sometimes if you happen to be looking at your feed when it happens you can actually see posts vanish and reorder themselves.

• Like 1

Oh, I know @zyaldar! Thanks for the encouragement. The event pages idea is something I will definitely be utilizing next year and I've totally seen the success you've had with it. Don't worry, I still grudgingly have a Facebook page haha

• Like 1

Also if you feel like your posts are going unnoticed, you can always 'Tag' people to your posts. That will get their attention too! Sometimes I will make a post and tag as many as I can to the post or comments below. 

• Like 1

LOVE all of this discussion and feedback. I'm meeting with the Guild in January for a "deep-dive" strategy session...and will keep everyone posted with additional 2016 initiatives.....but keep them  coming! Also, I'm going to send a message out through the National portal next week....but we're hoping to host a 2016 ATL Extra Life kick-off/patient tournament at the hospital in March. More to come! I'm looking forward to working with everyone in 2016!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beth said:

LOVE all of this discussion and feedback. I'm meeting with the Guild in January for a "deep-dive" strategy session...and will keep everyone posted with additional 2016 initiatives.....but keep them  coming! Also, I'm going to send a message out through the National portal next week....but we're hoping to host a 2016 ATL Extra Life kick-off/patient tournament at the hospital in March. More to come! I'm looking forward to working with everyone in 2016!

This sounds really exciting! I cannot wait to hear more later! 

12 minutes ago, Beth said:

That sounds like an awesome idea! kick offs were one of the things we discussed last week. We've got some info coming your way after the first of the year to help get that ball rolling!