Sapience

Welcome to the Official Extra Life Community!

Hello everyone! We’re really excited to finally open up our official Extra Life forums to all of you. My name’s Rick Heaton and I’m the Community Manager for Extra Life. I’m thrilled to welcome you all to what I am sure will be the most amazing community of gamers ever.

Two quick requests for everyone before we begin!

1. Please read the Community Guidelines.
  2. Check the Known Issues for some important information about image uploads including Signatures and avatars.

To get everyone off on the right foot, let’s start with some introductions. Add to this thread with a small post telling us about yourself and your involvement with Extra Life.

Here are some suggestions for things to include in your hello post.

1. A little something about you. Remember, this is public so be sure you’re ok with sharing it with the internet.
  2. How long have you been participating in Extra Life.
  3. What hospital do you play for?
  4. Your gaming interests.

Obviously, you can add more info, or less, we just want to get to know you!

So let’s get started!

Edited by Sapience

I'll start!

Some of you may know me from my last gig as Community Manager for The Lord of the Rings Online. Some of you might not, so here's a little bit about me.

This is my third year participating in Extra Life and playing for the kids at Boston Children's Hospital.

I've been an avid gamer since I was a bout 6, so that's about 40 years of experience now. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it!

My first console was an Atari 2600 and my current console is a PS4 and a PSVita. I've owned pretty much everything in between as well. There's an Xbox One in my future, but not quite there yet.

I fly RC Planes, I'm a huge aviation buff, I hold an Amateur Extra class ticket (Ham Radio), and eventually all conversations with me will devolve into a discussion of food. :P

I'm thrilled to be your Community Manager and I'm super proud to be a member of the Extra life team and a part of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.

One last thing, I'm easy to talk to so if you ever have an issue or need to reach out please feel free! My PM box is always open! You can sometimes find me faster on twitter @rickheaton

Ok, who's next?

Hi everyone! My name is Julie, I'm on the Communications Team at Extra Life for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. I've been participating in Extra Life since 2011 and look forward to 2014 being my best year to date. I play for Primary Children's Hospital where a close friend of mine's son was treated for leukemia (he's now one year cancer-free!). As far as gaming, I'm all about retro. Super Mario Bros., Track & Field II and ToeJam & Earl on the original Nintendo are my faves.

Howdy from Houston! I'm Doc. Extra Life started in my living room in memory of Victoria Enmon of Orange, TX with the help of my wife and a few thousand friends. These days I am addicted to Kerbal Space Program, and quite recently I retrieved a Kerbal from a moon landing, which has me pretty psyched. As for Extra Life, I herd the cats around here, and do whatever I can to support them in their efforts to save kids' lives. THANK YOU for coming in and for being a part of the most special online community on Earth. Go ELC! (Extra Life Community).

Doc

P.S. I have a penchant for acronyms.

Hello everyone :D Glad to see the forums are up and running. Let me just start off by saying I am the Secretary and Social Media Lead of the Baltimore Maryland guild, and that it is an honor to hold this position, and play/raise money with everyone else in the Extra Life Community.

I've been playing games pretty much since I was born (granted I'm only 21, so not that long) but my first system was the N64, and first game was Donkey Kong 64. This will only be my 2nd year participating in Extra Life, but I am sure to continue participating for as long as I can.

My Gaming Interest are pretty much spread all over. I have dabbled in pretty much everything from TableTop and Card games, to consoles and PC. Just a little introduction from me, but I can't wait to see what the Extra Life Community will do this year! Lets make this bigger and better than ever!

Yay for forums!

I'm Utoxin (aka Matthew), playing from Springville, Utah for Primary Children's Hospital in SLC. This is my first year doing this for Extra Life, but I'm thrilled to be on board, and looking forward to October 25th. :)

I play a lot of Minecraft for my YouTube channel, but I also play lots of other games on the side.

Bacchanalian, AKA Rick from the Denver guild, playing for Colorado Children's Hospital. Did my first Extra Life marathon last year, looking forward to this year!

I dabble in all sorts of gaming. A brief list of my most-played PC games is below:

EVE Online

World of Warcraft

Hearthstone

Diablo III

League of Legends

Minecraft

Skyrim

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3

Civilization V

Offline, I also game quite a bit, and my wife and I both play MTG and D&D. I'll be getting her on board this year to join me (she donated to me last year, but didn't play--I've only recently turned her into a gamer), and she plays quite a few of the aforementioned PC games with me as well.

I'm also a player-commentator for the EVE Online Alliance Tournament, a yearly international tournament they hold. I'll be broadcasting from home this weekend (as well as last weekend), and will be flying to Iceland (assuming that volcano waits a few more days) to do live studio commentary with some other players and CCP (the company that makes EVE) developers and GMs. If I get a chance (I'm not sure I will, but IF I do), I'll try to plug Extra Life as it seems like the sort of cause that CCP would get behind. By the final weekend the stream viewership is generally up to 30,000+, so that'll be great exposure.

Anyway, glad to be here!

Hello Everyone!

I am Zyaldar and I am from Atlanta! I am the team captain for The Wingèd Blades. This is my second year participating in Extra Life. Last year we started out with a small group of 4 and now we are up to 11 members. I have built a community facebook page about our team for Extra Life to bring awareness and to help keep people around my area up to date with Extra Life. So far we all have selected to raise money for the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. All of us are fortunate enough to not have any child to have to go through any traumatizing events and this is what drives us to do Extra Life. We believe we can use that strength to help give those who have had to go through those nightmares. My personal favorite games are RPGs such as Final Fantasy and several other JRPGs. I also love co-op games because I feel playing with someone gives you a better experience than without. Because of that, we have based our Extra Life stream around all 4-player co-op games.

I am excited for Extra Life this year and to meet many new people that share the same passion as I do!

Zyaldar

Hi everyone! Really excited to see the forum has gone up. Looks really good!

My name is Michael and for the most part I make cell phones work but any chance I'm not at work I'm ignoring my girlfriend, playing video games.

This will be my second year playing for Extra Life.

For the most part I play anything I can get my hands on.

Hello everyone!

I'm Marcus "MajorLinux" Summers from the RDU Guild! I'm glad to see the forums are up and am really excited to use them!

I'm a Linux systems analyst for a major university down here so I know a little bit about a little bit when it comes to tech.

I've been participating in Extra-Life for four years for the Duke Childrens' Hospital and couldn't be more excited to be a part of a great organization.

I'm open to a lot of different games, but play a lot of sports, racing and open world games that take place in modern times. I will not, however, play any horror games! #TeamNOPE

I can't wait to "meet" and talk with the rest of you all!

Hey everyone! I'm Justin, a member of one of the newest Extra Life guilds (Des Moines!).

I've been with Extra Life since its birth on Sarcastic Gamer. Now that they have joined up with the Children's Miracle Network it means even more to me, since now I can raise donations for the University of Iowa Children's Hospital. I had many visits to the U of I Hospitals when I was a wee lad. I was actually born with a hole in my heart that didn't really get diagnosed until I was around two years old, and ended up having open heart surgery (plus a few extra surgeries).

I have some pretty sweet pictures from my stay there, and I always point back to them as the beginning of my love for computers. I'm sure that not being able to be involved in many physical things because of the surgery helped. :)

My gaming interests are MANY. Tabletop to PC to console. I play and enjoy them all. Traditionally I have stuck to mainly PC for my Extra Life marathon, but I am hoping to play some tabletop stuff as well this year. MtG is probably up there on the list!

Glad to see this place up and running, and I am looking forward to interacting with you all even more!

To get everyone off on the right foot, let’s start with some introductions. Add to this thread with a small post telling us about yourself and your involvement with Extra Life.

Here are some suggestions for things to include in your hello post.

1. A little something about you. Remember, this is public so be sure you’re ok with sharing it with the internet.
  2. How long have you been participating in Extra Life.
  3. What hospital do you play for?
  4. Your gaming interests.

1. Hey all, my name is Rod, or GrimWulf on most internet sites, and I've been a gamer since i can remember. I'm just about 35 now and am looking to putting those years of experience towards a good cause.

2. This will be my first Extra Life event.

3. The Stollery's Children Hospital in Edmonton, AB, Canada

4. I'm pretty much open to all gaming, be it board, tabletop, video or more. Only thing I've really ever shied away from is LARPing.

Hi everyone!

My name is Annette (but I mostly go by Yukino or some similar form on the internet) and this is my 6th year taking part in Extra Life. I started in 2008, took a year off in 09, and since 2010 have been playing to raise money for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. I participate on behalf of my husband who was a patient at CHOA for leukemia over 15 years ago.

I'm primarily a console gamer and have gotten back into streaming. A lot of JRPGs, Borderlands, and whatever else grabs my attention.

What's up gamers? Knytfyre here. I live in the Kansas City Missouri area of the world, Go Royals (and this season I can say that without getting looks of pity for the first time in 30 years). I'm a long time gamer, kinda like Sapience, I've been gaming since I was 5, first console was an Atari 2600 that I had set up in my bedroom on an old black and white TV. My current console of choice is the Xbox One, but don't worry, I'm not a fanboy, I think if you like your system, then you made the right choice. This is my second year with extra-life and I'm really happy to be a member of the Kansas City Guild. I am also captain of my first Extra Life team, 13 Black. I've started recording some of my game sessions and hope soon to be adding videos to my YouTube channel.

I'm 43 years old, and a father of a future Extra-Lifer in my 3 year old son. My wife has also signed up for Extra-Life this year and we are looking forward to the game day. I play for KU pediatric center.

All in all, glad and very excited to be a part of this community.

Hey folks love the forums so far, great way to connect.

I'm part of the Calgary guild but live three hours away in Medicine Hat (yes, that's a place).

My son was diagnosed with leukemia last year and he relapsed two weeks ago. This is how I am trying to give back. Did it last year for the Alberta Children's Hospital and am doing a lot so far this year in terms of exposure. I blog at dominicaml.blogspot.ca.

Gaming? I get addicted easily. Just finishing Ni No Kuni, but with my boy in hospital so much I do a lot of iPhone gaming. I jump from genre to genre a lot - Civilization, NBA Jam, The Last of Us, you get the picture.

Hey all, I am David aka Tiny415 from the Philadelphia Guild, and I am a Disney Fanboy :)

I have been participating in Extra Life since 2008, the only reason I am certain is because it is the same year that Uncharted 2 released, and I played through that game for the marathon. As for why, between being a child that was in children's hospitals growing up and being the oldest of 27 cousins, children's hospitals are something that are important to me. I currently live in Delaware, the first state, and my Extra Life hospital is Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. As for gaming interests, I am in deep. For various parts of my life, I have worked for different gaming companies, going so far as to move to Canada for a brief stint (6 months) as an assistant producer and project coordinator. I now cohost the GameEnthus podcast and work in I.T. security, when I am not fundraising/attending cons.

Hey all, I'm Cass, also known as Cassadilla. I'm a cosplayer from Massachusetts, trying to use my costume stuff to promote Extra Life as much as I can.

This will be my 2nd year participating in Extra Life! Last year I created a Khajiit named 'Xstrah Lyffe' in Skyrim and got to level 19, my plan this year is to play on that same save file and see how far I can get.

I'll be playing on November 9th & 10th, since my comic-con schedule and other stuff clashes with the official date.

I'm playing for Boston Childrens Hospital again, and to try to get people excited about donating I have created a raffle with some awesome prizes.

My favorite games are: fallout 3 & new vegas, oblivion & skyrim... cannot WAIT for fallout 4!

Hello fellow Extra-Lifers! Benevolent Ben reporting in from Salt Lake City, Utah where I play for Primary Children's Hospital. This will be my 3rd year participating in Extra-Life and I'm super excited to be a part of this amazing cause. As a father of 3 healthy children I can only imagine what it must be like for any of these kids and their families who require the services of the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, and I play because I know that if any of my kids were ever sick I would be forever grateful for people like you who give so generously of your time and effort.

I'm 33, and I've been playing video games as long as I can remember. I too started out on an Atari 2600 and have owned (and in most cases still do own) most consoles since. I have all of the latest systems, excluding the PS4. But I plan on getting that last one within the next year sometime. Once I can convince my non-gaming wife that I NEED one more! I'm also a rather large PC gamer with a 2TB hard drive nearly full of games, and over 200 owned on Steam. Needless to say, I generally have a VERY hard time deciding what to play. But I'm sure I'll find something! ;)

I recently joined the Salt Lake City Guild and I look forward to working with them in the coming months to help spread the word about Extra-Life and the event on October 25th. And in the meantime, I really look forward to getting to know more of you on these forums! You're all amazing people for taking part in this!

Hey all, I'm Cass, also known as Cassadilla. I'm a cosplayer from Massachusetts, trying to use my costume stuff to promote Extra Life as much as I can.

This will be my 2nd year participating in Extra Life! Last year I created a Khajiit named 'Xstrah Lyffe' in Skyrim and got to level 19, my plan this year is to play on that same save file and see how far I can get.

I'll be playing on November 9th & 10th, since my comic-con schedule and other stuff clashes with the official date.

I'm playing for Boston Childrens Hospital again, and to try to get people excited about donating I have created a raffle with some awesome prizes.

My favorite games are: fallout 3 & new vegas, oblivion & skyrim... cannot WAIT for fallout 4!

MA in the house!

So I'll share a number with you guys. My hope was we could get about 100 guild members signed in and authenticated in the first 12 hours. I figured that would be a good start before the announcement in the morning. We hit 104 in 4 hours. Off to a great start!

Hey all,

My name is Brandon and this will be my 4th year participating in Extra-Life. I play for the johns hopkins childrens center here in B-more. My frst gaming system was NES that i got for my birthday when I was 8 years old. Now I mostly play xbox 360 for video games and i play alot of magic the gathering and various boards games. my friend an I created a team "that's how we roll" because we are both fans of the "katamari" games.

...This will be my 2nd year participating in Extra Life! Last year I created a Khajiit named 'Xstrah Lyffe' in Skyrim and got to level 19, my plan this year is to play on that same save file and see how far I can get...

I really like this idea! My friends and I created a band called "Extra Lyphers" on rockband last year but we only played that for a while. I always feel like there is so much i wanna play and not nearly enough time to play it all.

Hey all!

I am in The Boston Guild, born and raised in the Boston area, now live in Southern NH (where everyone comes from MA to shop Tax free) this is my first year with extra life. But Boston Children's Hospital has saved my son on more than one occasion. I had surgery there when I was 12 too! I am 36 now, and my son is 13 and just going into 8th grade, this past spring he just got his longest time between cardiology check ups are cardiologist said see you in 3 years. My son started off with 16 to 17 different Doctors there, we still see a few but I am very glad to say we don't go there 3 times a week like we used to do when he was younger.

In my house we have 2 PS4's, 2 PS3's, an XBox 360, a Wii, and 2 gaming PC's. You could say I became a gamer all the way back when I played Oregon Trail in 1st in 2nd grade on those very small Apple computers in my classroom and I have been hooked ever since. Being a mom and I work full time as a Vet Tech, and we have a lot of pets, I don't game as much as I used to. right now I am into WildStar, Smite, Mass Effect, and I dabble in other games. I am a huge lover of Mario. ANd any time I can get a group together for table top gaming I will do it too!

I am really excited for these forums and this year. I have been an avid giver to BCH over the years and this is a great way to mesh two of my passions!

Hello all.

This is futiles (Michael), I am the President of the Kansas City Guild.

Hi all!

I'm Hannah (or Codex, I have been known to go by both!). I'm the Secretary and Social Media Manager for the Vancouver Guild. I joined my first Extra Life three years ago when I was asked by some friends to come moderate a live stream for them. I then participated on their team last year, and this year I am working to help build our team here in Vancouver and create a larger gaggle of Extra Life guildies!

I love forums - I hope that we all get the chance to interact and share ideas to support Extra Life together!

Hello everyone!

My name is Jake and this will be my forth year participating in Extra Life. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in Children's Hospitals and I love being able to help kids that are going through some of the same stuff I went through.

My crew and I have huge plans for this year. One of our ideas is to do a 24 hour Let's Play, if anyone here makes videos, you know that this is going to be a very difficult task.

hello everyone,

I am GS_Ace AKA Doug and this is my 3rd year fundraising with extra-life. I play for BC Children's Hospital and I am with the Vancouver Guild although I live over 8 hours away. my wife and 2 kids are part of my team and we all pretty much play Minecraft PC but mostly I play on either the Xbox 360 or the XBox One but just recently the PS4 which my daughter won at our first guild meeting thanks to EA. this year we hope to beat our total from last year.