Welcome to the Official Extra Life Community! - Page 4 - General Extra Life Discussion - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sapience

Welcome to the Official Extra Life Community!

Hi guys! My name is Nevermore (that's what my username says, even though it's in Japanese.)

I'm a 15 year old diabetic girl who is a huge geek for Homestuck, anime, Vocaloid, Pokémon, and video games in general.

I'm a self-taught digital artist and I'm studying the Japanese language independantly; I hope to go to Japan one day.

This is my first year participating in Extra Life, and I am so excited! I can't wait to help raise money for kids in the hospital long term. I've been in the hospital long term, it really sucks. That's why I'm so happy to help!

I'm going to be playing for Doernbecher Children's Hospital; the hospital I've had to stay at numerous times.

Some games I love (but nowhere near all of them) include:

Any game in the core Pokémon series (my favorites would have to be HGSS, though.)

Ace Attorney

Legend of Zelda

Megaman

Super Smash Bros.

Banjo-Kazooie

Fallout (3 and New Vegas)

Tomodachi Life

Professor Layton

Donkey Kong (Country, Country Returns, and 64)

And Breath Of Fire

i hope I can make friends with all of you!

Hello! This'll be my first year doing Extra Life. I'm doing it because my local Children's Network Hospital (Johns Hopkins in Maryland) performed two life-saving surgeries on my daughter - the first one in her first week of life! Here's my EL page: http://www.extra-life.org/participant/EricMesa

I'd love some Twitch followers! I'm new to Twitch and commenting over games in general, although I have done it for a different purpose before like this one where I spoke about a game I played as a kid:

Games I'll probably be playing on my own:

• Civilization 5
  • Back to the Future Telltale Games
  • Pacm-Man Chapionship Edition DX
  • Witcher (never played before)
  • Star Wars: KOTOR (never played before)
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Portal/Portal 2 (Commentary Track)
  • Torchlight 1 (never played before)

Games You Can Force me to play (at certain donation levels):

• Any of the above+
    • Bastion
    • Greed Corp
    • FTL
    • Trine 2
    • Luxor: 5th Passage
    • Saints Row: The Third
    • Brutal Legend (never played before)
    • Dungeon Defenders
    • FEZ (never played before)
    • LA Noire (never played before)
    • Shank (never played before)
    • Shank 2 (never played before)
    • The Stanley Parable (never played before)
    • XCOM: Enemy Unknown (never played before)
    • BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (never played before)
    • BloodRayne: Betrayal (never played before)
    • Double Dragon Neon (never played before)
    • Long Live the Queen (never played before)
    • Muffin Knight (never played before)
  • Like 1

Thread revival time! After many trials and tribulations I have finally made my debut on the Extra Life forums. Time for the first introduction post of 2015!

1. A little something about you.

In my past life I was a professional actor for 8 years. I home schooled through middle school and high school. At while pursuing my college degree I studied abroad at Waseda University in Tokyo, Japan for 6 months. I was there during the big earthquake in March, 2011 and had my 1-year program canceled and was "evacuated" from Japan. I graduated top of my class in both Business Economics and Marketing. I got a job after graduating as marketing director of an IT company that serves central and southern California. I'm currently pursuing an MBA in International Business.

I'm involved with several non-profit organizations, such as Bakersfield Sister Cities, SoCal Sister Cities, Sister Cities International, Kiwanis, and run my own Japanese study group. I'm also involved with Extra-Life of course.

I'm known widely as a street dancing Marketing Samurai. I am looking to get a job in Japan next year after I finish my MBA, so I'll be participating from abroad in 2016.

How long have you been participating in Extra Life.

I started in 2012. 2015 will be my fourth year. I currently have two Gold Medals, I'm looking to make it three this year.

What hospital do you play for?

The Lauren Small Children's Medical Center in Bakersfield, California. I'm the guy who never disappoints, I always come dressed up and ready for action.

Your gaming interests.

I like a bit of everything. I'm a video game collector who has a soft spot for RPGs; JRPGS in particular. I consider Earthbound to be a personal favorite, and I enjoy anything SMT and Etrian Odyssey related from Atlus. I enjoy a good board game or card game from time to time as well. At the Bakersfield event I run the Japanese game section (from my collection) and play Beatmania and Galgun (For the kids!).

Thanks and looking forward to another year.

Triface - Marketing Samurai

A little something about me

I was born on August 16, 1990, in Grand Rapids, MI at Butterworth hospital. As I grew up, I took an avid liking to many things, particularly art and video games. The first game I ever played was The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES. I knew I wanted to be an artist someday, but I lacked the discipline or funds to attend a proper art school. So, in 2009, at the age of 19, I joined the United States Marine Corps, was stationed in Hawaii, and deployed to Afghanistan in 2011. After doing my time in the Marines, I got out in fall of 2013 and used my G.I. Bill to attend Kendall College of Art and Design in my hometown of Grand Rapids. I'm currently a freshman (about to be a sophomore) in their Digital Media program.

How long have I been participating in Extra Life?

In 2012 I came back from deployment and found out about Extra Life through a couple of buddies I had previously done Child's Play (another charity along the same lines as Extra Life that I had been participating in since 2010) with. So this will be my 4th year with Extra Life.

What hospital do I play for?

I play for Helen DeVos Children's Hospital in Grand Rapids, MI

My gaming interests

While I grew up on SNES and Genesis, it wasn't long before I became a Playstation junkie (Mostly Tomb Raider, Spyro, and Kingdom Hearts), but today I find myself in the Microsoft camp, playing mainly on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

I'm a huge Battlefield fan, but I also play a lot of Minecraft! I mainly dabble in FPS, RPG, and RTS games. Kingdom Hearts 2 is my favorite game of all time, at least until they release Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm Jean. I'm a 24-year-old postgrad student at University of Houston (hoping to transition from CAP @ Bauer to MSc at Hilton) and a member of the sorority Gamma Rho Lambda. I'm trying to bully my siblings into joining the cause as well, haha! I'm from Houston originally, though I've lived in the UK five years (age 15-17 in Cambridge, England; 20-23 in Aberdeen, Scotland) and have a bachelors degree in Business Management. My other philanthropies include HRC Texas and MFAH.

I'm primarily an RPG player, though I'm fond of survival horror and strategy games too. I love my PS4, and I also rock a 3DS, PS3, PC, PS2, and N64. My main fandoms at the moment are Dragon Age, Marvel mutants, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls. I'm currently playing The Evil Within and Civ 5 mostly.

About Me:

Hey everyone! I'm currently going to school and gaming is a huge part of my life.

I always love helping out... so naturally had to sign up for Extra Life the moment I heard about it.

How long have I participated in Extra Life:

This will be my 6th year, look forward to it every year!

Which hospital:

OHSU Doernbecker Children's Hospital

Games I like to play:

Minecraft, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, and several other co-op and single player games. Huge fan of RPGs as well.

Hi I am Deb B from sunny and very hot Myrtle Beach, South Carolina! I am so very new to the gaming world....well I play Candy Crush (stuck on level 86), Words with Friends and Miracle Mania (stuck on level 35) so suggestions and tips on how to advance to the next level is much appreciated. I am the Development Coordinator for McLeod Children's Hospital in Florence, South Carolina, which is the regional children's hospital for the beach. Last year we provided services to over 22,000 children. We had gamers involved in Extra-Life last year and I am wanting to grow the program.

I am interested in Extra-Life to help the children we treat at McLeod Children's Hospital but also for a very personal reason. My nephew, Ryan, was diagnosed when he was five years old with leukemia. Ryan fought a hard battle for six years. He taught me what the word courage meant and I miss him everyday. Ryan loved to play games and would have no mercy on me when we played Scrabble. He was a competitor....so I will play for Ryan!

I am looking to connect with gamers in the Myrtle Beach/Florence area so please contact me so we can build a guild in Myrtle Beach!

A little something about you. Remember, this is public so be sure you’re ok with sharing it with the internet.

Well, I've been gaming since before I can remember. As the "legend" goes, I beat Super Mario Bros on NES when I was 2. Since then I've had a controller in my hand! Outside of gaming I am a firefighter and I have 3 kids, all of which are also very interested in gaming (currently 1, 6 & 8 years old). I run a growing YouTube channel with my best friend Aaron, who also just joined Extra Life with me, and my oldest daughter also runs her own YouTube channel.

This will actually be my first year.

Myself and my slowly growing team are playing for the MUSC Children's Hospital in Charleston SC. If not for them, there's a good chance I would not be here today!

Your gaming interests.

I am a HUGE Halo and Resident Evil fan! I also like Minecraft, Mario games, Pokemon, GTA, Kirby...basically a little bit of everything!

If there are any other Extra Lifers from the Columbia-Charleston SC(or SC in general) or Savannah GA area, I'd love to collaborate at some point!

• Like 2

A little something about you. Remember, this is public so be sure you’re ok with sharing it with the internet.

Hey friends! I'm a newcomer who joined up at TooManyGames in Philly this year after recently moving to the area. Grad from Shippensburg, originally from Bloomsburg. I've pretty much always been attached to some game (systems went from NES to ps2 to the Wii with Nintendo handhelds in between!). My family has always been supportive of myself and my brother, but we've never run into health issues. Despite that, I do love what these hospitals are doing for kids that deserve the world and I just want to be a part of the effort to help them stay with their families. I've volunteered at a therapuetic riding center at my home town for a long time, so I have interacted with those with special needs, and jeez they are some fun kids!

This will be my first year! Have watched some streams the past two years

The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Your gaming interests.

I'm primarily a PC gamer as of late (working through Dark Souls right now). Mostly Steam games, Dota2, Path of Exile, Day of Defeat, Terraria, Half Life, Chivalry, Magicka, so much more. I do love my ps2 though, I mostly play Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, and Shadow Hearts (but I love going back to FF7 and Dragon Quest 7).

On another side, I love board/card games!! I recently picked up Pixel Tactics (which is pretty amazing, despite some leaders being ridiculously good) and Boss Monster 2 at TooManyGames. Betrayal at the House on Haunted Hill, Agricola, and Munchkin I own, but I've played much more with my brother and friends!

• Like 1

How do I even start these things off?

I was driving home from work on a hot July day (this year), when I heard about Extra Life on a radio broadcast, and thought to myself, "Heeey! Kids. Helping them. Do this!" I'm sure you can guess what happened next... ^_^ Ever since registering and telling people about it, I've been surprised to know how much the Seattle Children's Hospital has made an impact in the lives of those around me. A co-worker had no hesitation in supporting the cause when he learned that this was the hospital I selected, because they helped his son!

When I was a little rice grain, my big bro would pretty much hand me his Nintendo to keep me busy while he threw *ahem* unauthorised house parties! I was always so excited just watching him play on other occasions, and even more so when he let me play, too! This is where my love for video games was born.

These days, you can catch me playing these gems on the PS4: Borderlands, FFXIV,  BF Hardline, BF4, Life is Strange (so sad that the last episode is approaching, Goat Simulator (lol), LBP3...among many others--console/non-console I've recently gotten into the YouTubing/Live Streaming world, and I have to admit; it's kind of intimidating starting out, but I'm hoping to engage more with the community.

When I'm not super engrossed in the world of gaming, I do like to spend time with my family. I am a wife and woman of faith, and have two little people that call me mama. I work full time, and I am working on completing a Bachelors Degree in Business. I'm a Korean Drama enthusiast who likes to paint, cook, go on hikes with my family, and I speak a couple of languages.

OK - enough about that!

I think what you've all started, and what you're doing here at Extra Life is great. What better investment is there, apart from the betterment of our future generation? I'm happy to be a part of that. Thank you.

• Like 1

My name is Gary, my wife is Gail, and we run a game convention.. this made Extra Life a natural extension. My wife has lived in Utah most of her life and has a personal attachment to Primary Children's Hospital through her family members who have been helped there. Me, I'm for anything that helps kids out. We've signed up with Extra Life this year and are planning to host an event in the Bryce Canyon area on November 7th. If you'd like more info on that, I've got a couple posts floating around here. We're excited to take part in this charity and hopeful to meet some new like-minded people through it.

• Like 1

I fly RC Planes, I'm a huge aviation buff, I hold an Amateur Extra class ticket (Ham Radio), and eventually all conversations with me will devolve into a discussion of food. :P

Amateur Extra class you say,  I am Technician class, and I keep intending to upgrade to General but I keep getting distracted. One of these days, I'll get back to it.

I'm a newbie this year from the Jacksonville guild.

73 de ki4lhu

(Now somebody's going to ask me to explain that. LOL)

Edited by TheGiant

Lol! Probably! I actually passed my General 10 minutes after taking my Tech. When my father passed away in 2011 none of us knew what to do with 40 years worth of ham radio gear and it occurred to us that dad had always been WB4JPZ (since dec 1968) and it was weird to think of someone else using "dad's" call. So I studied, took my tech about 8 weeks after dad passed away and I only missed 2 so they asked if I wanted to try General. I passed by 1 question. So my first license was a General. Then on the first anniversary of his passing I took the extra. I missed a total of 2 questions. I applied for dad's call the next day and they granted it to me about 2 months later. That's how a guy in MA has a FL prefix :) I have all his gear including his TS-430s in perfect working order. South Africa is my farthest Confirmed QSO. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admittedly I haven't been very active. I was actually inspired by the movie Frequency, although I was curious for longer than that. One day I just decided I needed to stop just being curious and just thinking about it, and do something, just like joining Extra Life, I've actually been curious for a few years, some things just take me a while.

Edited by TheGiant
  • Like 1