The "I'm Going to ELU" Thread - Extra Life United 2016 - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Doc

The "I'm Going to ELU" Thread

This is the place to go once you've registered for ELU.  Find others who are going, coordinate travel, learn from past attendees, share photos and memories, and whatever else you'd like to talk about related to your upcoming trip to Orlando.  Also check out the Room Sharing Thread.

Please take a moment to introduce yourself, where you are coming from, who you play for, and what you're hoping to learn, do, or experience at ELU 2016.

If you haven't registered for ELU 2016 yet here's the link: http://www.extra-life.org/united
Looking to share a room? Look here: http://community.extra-life.org/forums/topic/2671-elu16-room-share-thread/

• Like 4

I just wanted to say welcome to all the new attendees, and welcome back to the Extra Lifers from last year! I'll be traveling from Wisconsin, with my wife and 3 of my 4 kids. We're planning on turning the week of ELU into a family vacation, to escape the northern cold. See you in February!

• Like 6

My name is Moser, aka Sir Slush Monkey.  For all of the new attendees, prepare yourselves for a truly Life-Changing Experience©.  I know that phrase gets thrown around a lot, but in this case, it's very true.  You'll laugh.  You'll cry.  Sometimes both at the same time.  You'll have fun.  You'll meet amazing people.  You'll make new friends.  You will get to meet some of the kids that you've helped, and they will move and inspire you.  You're already a part of something amazing, but at ELU, you'll really feel it.  This is our Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, and World Series all rolled into one, with all of the competition and camaraderie, and none of the commercials.

And they also give out fun hats.

image.jpg

• Like 6

I'm going to ELU again this year. I'll be either looking for a room to share, or will be getting a room and will need people to help split the cost. I'm going to visit a travel agent today, to see if I can get on a charter flight to orlando, or if using spirit will be cheaper.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

• Like 2

I couldn't go last year but I'm definitely going this year. I'll be traveling from Schenectady, NY and going in solo, hope to make some amazing new friends there! I do have one question though, I bought the console track and it says the day is 2/23/16. Registering for the event means I get to stay all days right; not just that one? Just wondering because I need to schedule off from work. If so, I'd also be looking to split a room with someone (which I see there is a thread for ?) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Going this year and bringing my wife this time around!  Can't wait for ELU #2.  Last year was incredible.  Absolutely amazing.  Go to meet Marie Osmond, co-founder of the Children's Miracle Network (completely by accident, nearly ran into her not paying attention!), witnessed an Extra Lifer answering her question about what ELU was by explaining her own foundation to her (she humored him with a small smile as I remember), met dozens of the children we raise money for (and played games with some of them!), and competed in an amazing video game tournament to raise money for my hospital.

And that doesn't even begin to cover the after hours fun with all the other Extra Lifers, running around Disney and playing games together in our hotel rooms and enjoying some adult beverages.  It's an absolute blast.

I also got to send my daughter a picture of me with one of her favorite Minecraft streamers, which had her fangirling to no end when I got home.

Below is a random picture of myself, my friend from the EL Denver Guild, and another Extra Lifer we met and had a blast with.  I think the looks on our faces say it all--this was actually a candid despite looking like it was posed!

J7XgaH0.jpg

• Like 5

The first one was AMAZING! I can't wait for round two! I'm so stoked about this, my fiancee and I are cutting our honeymoon short and coming to play at ELU2! See ya'll there! :)

• Like 5

J7XgaH0.jpg

Hey! That's me in the silly hat, but amazing hair. I play for Children's Hospital Colorado and started #100DaysofGaming for Extra Life. Because, you know, 24 hours is just not enough. Extra Life United changed me for the better. Though I didn't last long in the tournament, it didn't matter. I met and participated and cheered on the amazing people all around me, met and spent time with Tori's family, and played games with some of the Children's Miracle Network Hospital champions. I will be there this year to see familiar and new faces. 

A little timeline-

https://goo.gl/photos/8p7XN5QP3poRaCoGA

IMG_20141113_214249.thumb.jpg.2b656b4490

Above is Doc handing out PS4s to the kids, a surprise gift! I was choked up, teary eyed. 

IMG_20141112_164529.thumb.jpg.688be40188

These were the semi-finalists!

See you all this Feb!

• Like 5

Last year was truly amazing. You get to meet so many champion kids and their families. Hearing their stories will really touch your heart. It is also so cool to meet a ton of other Extra Lifers and hear their stories of why they do what they do. You'll be surrounded by awesome people, and you'll have an awesome time. I haven't signed up for this coming one yet, but I plan to once I have the money available, assuming of course all the spots don't fill up. If they do, I still plan on swinging by to hang out, because that is a perk of living in Orlando lol.

• Like 3

I couldn't go last year but I'm definitely going this year. I'll be traveling from Schenectady, NY and going in solo, hope to make some amazing new friends there! I do have one question though, I bought the console track and it says the day is 2/23/16. Registering for the event means I get to stay all days right; not just that one? Just wondering because I need to schedule off from work. If so, I'd also be looking to split a room with someone (which I see there is a thread for ?) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a room to share, check this thread.

http://community.extra-life.org/forums/topic/2671-elu16-room-share-thread/

• Like 2

I'm Kate and I play for Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh. This will be my fifth year participating in Extra Life and I'm proud to say I earned my first extra life Gold Medal last year. So anyway, my husband and I were fortunate enough to be able to attend the inaugural ELU, and I agree with everyone who has commented so far. It was an AMAZING experience and absolutely life changing.

I was struggling with some things at the time, and so I regret that we were not more social with the rest of the players at the event. And I must say, that even though we may have come off as shy, I was so very moved by the entire experience. It felt wonderful to be a part of such a great group even if we sort of kept to ourselves and stayed on the periphery. The medal ceremony and pin exchange are truly things that will live in my memory forever. I couldn't even tell you how many times I was moved to tears.

I can't wait until February - I'm pretty sure my husband and I were the 2nd and 3rd people to sign up. :-P I'm really looking forward to getting to know the alums better, and to meeting all you newbies too!

... One more thing. You know who you are. When you came to talk to me over breakfast (or was it lunch? ELU went by in a blur :D), that conversation has really stayed with me. I don't think I ever thanked you for giving me the push I needed to try again. Thank you.

• Like 4

All of the tracks happen simultaneously, so yes you're in for the whole kaboodle, my friend, and we're excited to have you.

• Like 4

Super excited and jealous to everyone who's going!  

To the newcomers (potential newcomers), you're in for an incredible event.  DO NOT WORRY about going alone or going for your first time.  It is SUPER easy to make loads of new friends.  The first thing you should do when you arrive is to check (either on a facebook group or on this thread) where everyone is hanging out and go there.  If you can force yourself to say "Hi" to a few people then I guarantee you that you won't feel alone from that moment on.  

ELU is amazing.  I went last year (and actually made it into the top bracket, winning some cash for my hospital - woot!).  You're gonna have a massive amount of fun playing games, enjoying Orlando and even Disney/Universal.  All of that is incredible but it's all completely outdone by the people you're going to meet.  You're going to get to meet a whole bunch of incredible kids (the various hospitals sponsor "champion" kids to come out for their conference).  It's really great to meet these ambassadors of the cause.  Also, all of the other ELU participants are nothing short of incredible.  The enthusiasm, intelligence, creativity, talent and overall friendship that ELU'ers exude is without comparison.  You wanna feel like all of your batteries are completely recharged and full for months after?  This is the event for you.  I echo other ELU alum when I say that you're going to leave with more friends than you ever thought you could make in just a few days.  

If you only get one vacation a year, make it this one.  You're going to want to have this experience.  

Edit: For the record, I went alone last year too and had reservations about attending but it was totally fine.  I forgot that I was there by myself even before I arrived (as the community had ALREADY started connecting with one another via facebook/Extra-Life forums).

Edited by Jonathan Griffith
  • Like 2

Don't worry Jonathan, we'll help hold the torch for Alberta Children's Hospital for you this time around! Though I highly doubt I'll make it far in competition. I signed up for board games knowing it's my best chance!

My wife Trish and I will be coming. We didn't think we'd ever go back to Orlando, not after our son Dominic died there a month ago (Sept. 3) while we were on his wish trip. He had leukemia. He was two years old.

Our story has touched a lot of people however, including those at Children's Miracle Network, and so we've been invited. I write a blog and there's a post there about it, including a video I did about why I Extra Life.

Needless to say we are both excited and fearful of what the experience will be like. Looking forward to meeting you all. We will likely come in a few days early to visit some of the parks, make the most out of our time there just like we did during his wish trip. We went to Magic Kingdom with Dom but nowhere else. Orlando owes me Butterbeer, dammit.

• Like 3

Hey all - I am David aka Tiny and this will be my second ELU.

A couple things to highlight for all ELU attendees, both new and old.

1) Do not worry about being good at games - Last year I was eliminated from the main tournament by another person representing my hospital, in a 5 round sweep of Divekick (It set off a fraud alert, I was that bad), I lost 10 different side fund raising challenges @Sapience ran, and my team got lost during the scavenger hunt. You know what - still one of the best experiences I had last year (and this was a year where my first nephew made his debut)

2) Feeling a little exhausted, disillusioned, or just wondering why you participate  - This trip will refresh your passion. You will get to meet the Children's Miracle Network Champions, kids from across North America, that while going through challenges are excited to be there, smiling, laughing, and probably coming over to play some games with the team. You will also get to meet so many new and amazing people that you can identify with, you will exchange tips, ideas, stories, and just bond with people that enjoy playing games and helping people.

ELU_-_Philly.thumb.jpg.13cdf2d98f3ba2579

3) Money, Money, Money - MONEY! - Hey, I hear you like to raise money for charity, did you know you have a chance to do that at the tournament, while you know, playing games at Disney World. Just sayin

4) Hang out and relax - We are all hanging out at the happiest place on earth, so if it is getting lost trying to figure out the Disney bus system, hanging out around the pool at night, or wandering around as a loud group in Epcot.  There are always people to have fun with, no matter if you are traveling solo, like I did last year, or with family.

10250272_10152620460373598_440142390088910419053_10204998699028635_6231227190404

So yeah, I am looking forward to Feb, and I hope you all are too.

One last tip, if you get in early, look for the people wearing geeky/ironic t-shirts (or extra life shirts) and hanging out near registration. There is a good chance they are part of the event and just waiting to meet new people and if you see me, come up and say hi.  

(Picture credit goes to Steve and Marcia. 

Edited by Tiny415
  • Like 3

It will also be my first time flying. I've been to Disney twice but each time we took the driving scenic route.. I'm usually shy and reserved but definitely gonna drop that here... we all have the same passion right? I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, I guess I'll put this here:

I'M GOING TO EXTRA LIFE UNITED, Y'ALL!!!!!

Okay, now that that's out the way, I'm super excited to be going back to Orlando for what seems to be ages and getting to meet a new set of Extra Lifers such as myself!

Also, my birthday is going to be the day before so I'll be expecting presents from all 500 of you!!!!!!

#seriousnotserious

#kiddingnotkidding

• Like 4

Also, my birthday is going to be the day before so I'll be expecting presents from all 500 of you!!!!!!

#seriousnotserious

#kiddingnotkidding

Heh, that's my line for soliciting donations that I'm saving for the first week of November.  My birthday is the 6th!

• Like 4

I will be attending yet again this year and my Girlfriend will also be joining me this year.  We are going to be getting in on the 21st and leaving the 28th and will be at Coronado Springs throughout (Other than when we are at the event or parks). I'm looking forward to seeing all my old ELU buddies as well as meeting many new ones!  See you all in Sunny Florida!

• Like 3

I signed up to volunteer at the event! I love helping at conventions and events, and figure it'd be fun to get involved and help out!

I figure more information about the volunteering responsibilities will be forthcoming, but I'm happy standing/waving/excitedly dancing wherever I'm placed to make the thing happen. I'm coming in earlier to hang with friends/family in the area and hopefully see some of the theme parks.

Can't wait!

• Like 1

I'm attending again, and this time with a vengeance. I'm making sure I dont get kicked out the first round of the tournament, gonna at least make it to the second lol. Like many others have said, this experience is amazing, and I'm glad to say this year I'll be sharing it with my girlfriend as well. She knows how passionate I am about this cause (even so to try and have a career in it) and wanted her to see and experience what i did at the inaugural ELU. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones. 

• Like 2

Ben, the way it's structured this year there's no losing out early! Unless I read it wrong, everybody plays all rounds.

• Like 3

Ben, the way it's structured this year there's no losing out early! Unless I read it wrong, everybody plays all rounds.

Yeah I know, was just joking around. But with my luck even if it isn't structured that way, I'll still find a way to get kicked out in first round :P 

• Like 1

Heya folks!

Going to be attending ELU this year and couldn't be more excited to play games with other amazing ELers! You guys are all wonderful! This is going to be one incredible experience :D  Anyone else coming from the Chicago Guild? 

As an after thought, anyone looking to room together? I'd love to split a 2-bed room with 4 people.  Been checking the Disney site and surrounding hotels, but all of the prices have -doubled- since 5am this morning, so I'll be waiting for the room block to open up, which is a much better deal! :D

Edited by Gnomedic
  • Like 2