Extra Life Donation Tracker/Alerts - Beta Version 0.6.9 (11/3/2016) - Page 3 - Extra Life JSON Code Discussion & Sharing - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
bfinleyui

Extra Life Donation Tracker/Alerts - Beta Version 0.6.9 (11/3/2016)

Hey @bfinleyui, I'm putting together my layout for this year's Extra Life game day stream (twitch.tv/gomerstraw if anybody wants to tune in Nov. 5-6), and was hoping to use your stream helper again this year! It was magnificent when I used it last year!

Only weird thing going on right now is for the top 5 team participants text file, it's spitting out "undefined undefined" for the names. All the totals are still working, but it seems to have lost track of where to find the username for team members. Same issue for the top team participant file too.

Not sure if you're around still but would love to get this fixed before game day!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sean Rooney said:

Hey @bfinleyui, I'm putting together my layout for this year's Extra Life game day stream (twitch.tv/gomerstraw if anybody wants to tune in Nov. 5-6), and was hoping to use your stream helper again this year! It was magnificent when I used it last year!

Only weird thing going on right now is for the top 5 team participants text file, it's spitting out "undefined undefined" for the names. All the totals are still working, but it seems to have lost track of where to find the username for team members. Same issue for the top team participant file too.

Not sure if you're around still but would love to get this fixed before game day!

I've noticed that, too. Figured they had changed something in the API.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sean Rooney said:

I'll take a look at it on Monday. Thanks for the heads up 

• Like 2

Hey @bfinleyui, one more request if you are working on the app - I am producing a 25-hour live stream for game day and would love to show recent donations not just to my page, but to everyone on my team's pages. If there is any way of having the stream helper put that combined info into a text file, I'd love to have the functionality. Even if the app doesn't change I'll just show the last five donations to my page.

@Sean Rooney Unfortunately, not possible to get a running list of donations to members of a particular team.  There have been a lot of requests for the ability to have a 'team' feed that we could pull from.  But short of loading up the donation list of everyone on the team every minute, that's not possible.  And with some teams having hundreds, if not thousands, of members, that would be flooding the EL servers with a lot of traffic, and likely get you blacklisted.  Not a good thing.

I've been asking, and others have been asking, for this feed for a while, but no traction thus far.  Sorry

• Like 1

On 10/17/2016 at 2:52 PM, Sean Rooney said:

Hey @bfinleyui, one more request if you are working on the app - I am producing a 25-hour live stream for game day and would love to show recent donations not just to my page, but to everyone on my team's pages. If there is any way of having the stream helper put that combined info into a text file, I'd love to have the functionality. Even if the app doesn't change I'll just show the last five donations to my page.

Haven't forgot about this.  My flash license expired and just haven't had time to install it again yet.  I will get this fixed before gameday, I promise.

• Like 2

Having a hell of a time trying to fix this.  Getting weird behavior in windows 10, and won't let me re-install on my work machine which is windows 7, everything is imploding.  Still working hard tho!

• Like 1

Finally figured it out.  It was mostly a PEBKAC errors, but I believe it's been solved.  The name problem was because they changed the API to list a "DisplayName" instead of First Name/Last Name, for people who aren't using their 'real name' on their page.  The delays and my errors are because I haven't touched ActionScript in approximately 349 days.  

http://bfin.beer/el15/EL15-0.6.8.air 

Give it a whirl and let me know what i broke this time around.  

@Sean Rooney @MajorLinux

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bfinleyui said:

Finally figured it out.  It was mostly a PEBKAC errors, but I believe it's been solved.  The name problem was because they changed the API to list a "DisplayName" instead of First Name/Last Name, for people who aren't using their 'real name' on their page.  The delays and my errors are because I haven't touched ActionScript in approximately 349 days.  

http://bfin.beer/el15/EL15-0.6.8.air 

Give it a whirl and let me know what i broke this time around.  

@Sean Rooney @MajorLinux

Oh, that's money on the Mac! I'll update with how it works on my PC.

Update: Fixed name issue on my PC as well!

Donation incoming!

• Like 2

When I get to my computer I'll let you know. But thanks regardless for the help. You rock!

• Like 1

Just got word that there's a bug there that alerts for new donations aren't firing.  Going to try and figure that out tomorrow.  I'll post here once i get it sorted.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2016 at 2:11 PM, bfinleyui said:

Unfortunately, no.  Unless there have been some changes to the API, there isn't a feed of team donations, just individuals.  So that would mean refreshing the individual donation lists for everyone on your team all the time.  When I tried (multiple times) to get a response from Extra Life about their network policies (API Rate Limits, user agents, etc etc) nobody got back to me.  I'm afraid, especially on bigger teams, if I did that, it'd be firing off hundreds of requests every 10-15 seconds, which may get you in trouble with their firewall/anti-abuse scripts, etc.  

It's something that I agree would be great, but without any idea from them how many requests per second I'm allowed to fire at it, or an API that covers that exact case, I can't really proceed in writing that feature.

I wonder if @DJThunderstix would know who to bug for that sort of info.

I love this tool, use it year-round.  I haven't updated to the most recent version so I'll mess with that tonight, but I've been using last year's version and it still works beautifully (just had to edit the code to indicate this year's date). 

Thank you for all of the work you put in on this, it's VERY MUCH appreciated.  I just can't get into the StreamPro thing (honestly in large part because it reduces the overall size of your stream with a huge frame, which is fine for some games, but with what I play losing that much screen real estate makes the actual stream hard to watch), so having this as a backup is priceless.

Fixed a bug where the alerts weren't working.  Apparently in the new version of air, it was marking all donations as if they'd already been flashed, regardless if they had or not.

New Download Link

• Like 2

Just wanted to post here and thank you for making this and continuing to support it. I've been using your tool for the past couple months leading up to my team's Extra Life event and it's been awesome.

• Like 1

Thread necromancy!!

This is absolutely amazing! Thank you for all the work you've put into it! I started out by finding your video tutorial from a long past version of this, via a website, and now I found you here! This is a fantastic piece of software and makes it supremely easy to use it in OBS!

You'll definitely be getting a shoutout during my upcoming stream!

• Like 1

Loving this app.  I have a couple of questions for the developer...

1. Is it possible change the path where the files get written?

2. Is it possible to get a file that shows participant total raised / goal and team total / team goal?

Thanks,

Matt

1.  Not without me making a change to the code, I just tossed it on the desktop because why not.

2. I believe those already exist by combining the text files for each of those things?  

I probably won't do any more updates to this, since Adobe Air sucks giant butt.  If I wrote it again it might be in node or spring as a runnable jar.  But with all the other tools out there that were (somehow) able to get actual blessing from the extra life folks, I'm not sure it'd be worth it.  I've asked multiple multiple multiple times about rate limits or getting a whitelisted API or websocket or something, and never gotten anywhere, which is why it has to be a client-side thing, rather than a webapp.

So...  yeah... What's there is probably where it will rest for eternity, sorry.

No worries, just thought I would check.  I am looking at writing my own app too as a learning exercise.  I don't have any experience with Node or JavaScript so why not use the EL API to help learn a bit?

So i know it's last minute, and only half the functionality, but I have something that writes out the text files like it did on the previous version.

It doesn't have any of the alert functionality, but has all the same text files as the previous version.

You'll need to install node from nodejs.org, download the zip from http://bfin.beer/EL2018.zip and check out the readme inside for specific info.

Let me know if something's broken.

• Like 1