ELOC 2015 Marathon Planning - Orange County, CA - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Kash

ELOC 2015 Marathon Planning

Extra Life Orange County

Official 2015 Marathon Planning

ELOC Members: Below is a basic roadmap for our 2015 Marathon. Please review the information, especially our current needs. We will need a team effort to pull this off this year. With the support of the brand-new eSports Arena, this could be an insane event. We need your help! Please respond below with your ideas! We have ONE MONTH! 

Date: Saturday November 7, 2015

Time: 8:00am Saturday to 8:00am Sunday (Extra Life OC Members only)

8:00am Saturday to 2:00am Sunday (members of the public)

WHAT DO WE NEED NOW?

1. Food Options: I need a volunteer to scout the local area (Yelp?) and make a list of food options in the area of the eSports Arena. We’ll need late-night options and price ranges.

2. Tournament Coordinators: We will need volunteers to run tournaments. The eSports Arena will have the technical side of this handled, but we need someone to spearhead the tournament, get people to sign up and make sure people know about start times, etc.

3. Tabletop Game Coordinator: We need someone to plan a tabletop section. This doesn’t have to be elaborate, but having some games on-hand and organizing a couple of games would be a fun alternative to get people doing something other than staring at a computer screen.

4. Prize Coordinator: We need someone to coordinate our prizes. Should prize giveaways be local to the event only or done on-stream? So far we only have a few items to give away (Rainbow 6 Beta Keys) and we need more. Anything gaming-centric would work.

5.  Set-Up and Clean-Up Volunteers: We will need help setting up the event on Friday November 6th and help cleaning our areas on November 7th.  This is OUR responsibility and not that of the eSports Arena.

6. IDEAS: Folks, we really need cool ideas. Above and beyond that, we’ll need someone to execute those ideas. Please help us brainstorm some good stuff. Also, start letting your gamer friends know about the event now! Let’s fill the house!

Logistical Considerations:

Set-Up and Clean-Up:

·         On November 6th, after 10AM, we will be sending a team to set up the event. I will send out an event invite on Facebook to plan for this. We will have a table, flyers, brochures and our banners set up. We will also need to set up the game areas, tables, chairs and install any games we want to play.

Games:

What games can be played on eSports Arena computers?

·         As long as you own them, you can play them. Steam is preferred because the eSports Arena computers have no disk drives. You’d log into your account and download any games you want to play.

·         Xbox One consoles will be available. The eSports Arena may also have have PS4’s by then.

·         Personal Laptops: You can also bring personal laptops and WiFi will be available.

·         Sam Fry (eSports Arena) will provide us a list of games that will be available at the eSports Arena.

·         We will need to provide kid-friendly games for possible CHOC Family participants.

·         Wi-Fi will be available.

·         Tabletop Game Area: We will have an area set up for tabletop games.

·         We need help with ideas, here folks. Games, tournaments, etc.

·         Promoting a Healthy Marathon: I’d like to have a focus on doing our marathon the healthy way. What are your thoughts on a stretching zone? A nap zone? Promoting healthy foods!

Participants:

·         Public participation from 8am-2am only

·         Extra Life OC members will be able to stay the duration from 8am-8am

·         There will be a 2AM lock-in time for participants, so bring food to last you from 2AM-8AM. (Of course, exceptions will exist. Our intent is to keep people safe during the event)

·         There WILL be security on-site during the late-night hours.

·         Waivers needed for under 18 participants.

Parking:

There is 24-hour parking for $7 per day, off Sycamore. The large parking structure is NOT 24-hour parking.

Food:

·         Members will be able to bring in a reasonable cooler/chest to keep their food for the event.

·         We need to come up with a list of food vendors in the area during business hours.

·         Extra Life OC members who plan to participate for the whole 24-hour period will need to bring their own food/snacks for late night hours. We are discouraging late-night food runs after 2AM.

Live Stream:

·         eSports Arena will be live-streaming our event on their Twitch page.

·         We will either host, or dual-stream from our Extra Life Orange County channel.

·         Mini-Tournaments? Hearthstone, CoD, etc. Need a list of participants! We need to know what kind of events we want and establish a preliminary list of participants.

·         Event Overlays: I will have overlays made for the event and will provide them to your Stream Team tech persons. Do I have permission to put the ESA logo on the overlays? Yes

·         Prizes: We will have limited keys and some material to provide as giveaway prizes. The eSports Arena may give us some swag for event giveaways.

·         CHOC Families: I will be working with Allie at CHOC Children’s to gauge participation of CHOC families. Families may take part in interviews with us and play games.

MEMBER IDEAS/CONTRIBUTIONS:

B. Hefner: Super Smash Bros Tourney with WII brought to eSports Arena, Rocket League Tourney (if PS4's are available), TableTop Dev to set up his game

Edited by Kash

I would like to volunteer to help set-up, but I don't get off of work until 5pm that day, and then in traffic it takes like an hour to get up to the arena. So if set-up is still going on at that time, I can absolutely come help.

If there is interest, I can bring my Wii U and run a Smash Bros. tournament. I know quite a few local Smash Bros. players so I think we could bring in a decent number of people. I'd also love to run a Rocket League tournament, but I don't see that happening unless we have PS4s.

I also own some pretty kid-friendly games on the Wii U (like Mario Kart) so if I bring that, the CHOC families can use it.

If we're going to have a tabletop area, I know a local tabletop game creator and I could ask him if he wants to come in and bring his published game and maybe a demo of the one he's working on right now.

• Like 1

I would like to volunteer to help set-up, but I don't get off of work until 5pm that day, and then in traffic it takes like an hour to get up to the arena. So if set-up is still going on at that time, I can absolutely come help.

If there is interest, I can bring my Wii U and run a Smash Bros. tournament. I know quite a few local Smash Bros. players so I think we could bring in a decent number of people. I'd also love to run a Rocket League tournament, but I don't see that happening unless we have PS4s.

I also own some pretty kid-friendly games on the Wii U (like Mario Kart) so if I bring that, the CHOC families can use it.

If we're going to have a tabletop area, I know a local tabletop game creator and I could ask him if he wants to come in and bring his published game and maybe a demo of the one he's working on right now.

Yes, yes, yes to all of that Bryan! Thank you. We will most likely be set up by 5-6 pm so no worries there. Let's definitely do the Smash Brothers Tourney! If they do have PS4's by then, we can go ahead with the RL tourney - Great idea there! I'm going to add it to the OP. As for the tabletop game creator, that also sounds great! Hit him up!

Great start :) Thank you Bryan.

Yes, yes, yes to all of that Bryan! Thank you. We will most likely be set up by 5-6 pm so no worries there. Let's definitely do the Smash Brothers Tourney! If they do have PS4's by then, we can go ahead with the RL tourney - Great idea there! I'm going to add it to the OP. As for the tabletop game creator, that also sounds great! Hit him up!

Great start :) Thank you Bryan.

Okay, I've already confirmed the tabletop game dev. His name is Stephen Bretall (of Unafraid Entertainment) and he's interested in running his newest game called Same Time Crime. It's 2-5 players and the average game lasts around one hour. Let me know if you want his email to contact him directly and I'll PM it to you.

I've contacted a few different Smash groups I know and I'll update when I hear back from them.

Also, will general public need to pay to use the facilities? Or is it a free day for everyone?

Edited by Kriptini

I have some Game Works cards and some passes to Howies Game Shack we can give away as prizes (but we might not want to give the Howies passes away at the Esports Arena).  I still have some swag from the E3 show we can give away as well. 

Nap Zone in the basement or the 2 floor offices would be nice!

Not sure if it would work, but it might be fun/cool to dedicate a single PC to a RPG and give people 30 min or 1 hr. time shifts before swapping out with the next player in line.  Kind of a team effort to play the game all the way through?

I like the idea of playing through a game! Would you like to organize that portion? Pick a game and get sign ups for that event? 

Okay, I've already confirmed the tabletop game dev. His name is Stephen Bretall (of Unafraid Entertainment) and he's interested in running his newest game called Same Time Crime. It's 2-5 players and the average game lasts around one hour. Let me know if you want his email to contact him directly and I'll PM it to you.

I've contacted a few different Smash groups I know and I'll update when I hear back from them.

Also, will general public need to pay to use the facilities? Or is it a free day for everyone?

We were planning on making a "Suggested Donation" for entry. Otherwise there will be no fee from eSports Arena for use of the facility. Bryan if you want to remain the point of contact for the game dev, that would be fine. Unless he needs to speak with me, in which case you can certainly forward my information to him. We'd just need to know what he needs for his event.

@Kriptini I have set up a Warhorn site to help manage the table top situation:

http://bit.ly/1Prg2Nz

Okay, I've already confirmed the tabletop game dev. His name is Stephen Bretall (of Unafraid Entertainment) and he's interested in running his newest game calledSame Time Crime. It's 2-5 players and the average game lasts around one hour. Let me know if you want his email to contact him directly and I'll PM it to you.

I have set him up for a table from 6:00PM-10:00PM, can you confirm with him that this slot works? My vision of the Table Top area is that it will be largely drop in with people just finding pickup games of Pretty, Pretty Princess or whatever--but I think having a few games scheduled may be helpful for people who show up looking for something to do...

I have had three (3) people ask me today about WiiU games--which I found surprising--I had no idea that was so popular.

All of them offered to bring their own Consoles and stuff...

Any desire to have a few retro consoles set up?  I know that would require TV's, so not sure that is possible or not, but I could bring a few older systems and games if we decide to give it a go.  Also, I can bring family-friendly board games for any CHOC families that drop in.

Any desire to have a few retro consoles set up?  I know that would require TV's, so not sure that is possible or not, but I could bring a few older systems and games if we decide to give it a go.  Also, I can bring family-friendly board games for any CHOC families that drop in.

Absolutely fine! Thank you for that. I know the TV's at the eSports Arena are pretty new so I'm not sure what would need to be done to connect retro consoles to them?

@Kriptini I have set up a Warhorn site to help manage the table top situation:

http://bit.ly/1Prg2Nz

I have set him up for a table from 6:00PM-10:00PM, can you confirm with him that this slot works? My vision of the Table Top area is that it will be largely drop in with people just finding pickup games of Pretty, Pretty Princess or whatever--but I think having a few games scheduled may be helpful for people who show up looking for something to do...

I have had three (3) people ask me today about WiiU games--which I found surprising--I had no idea that was so popular.

All of them offered to bring their own Consoles and stuff...

Yes, bringing their own consoles is absolutely fine. I confirmed this with eSports Arena :)

• Like 1

I am one of the Casters at eSports Arena, and am thrilled to be getting involved with this event. That being said, I wanted to know how signing up for particular time slots worked? I'll be ready to go first thing in the morning, and able to go all day throughout the day and night. Looking forward to getting locked in! 

• Like 1