herobyclicking

Welcome! Introduce yourself!

• Why do you Extra Life?
    This is such a great cause for all the local Children's Hospitals! Why not do some good with something that you love to do?

• How long have you been participating?
    I just joined Extra Life in 2015 when I first heard about it.

• What Hospital do you play for and why?
    Rady Children's Hospital - San Diego. This hospital has a great impact to my co-workers, and have actually helped my own niece. My sister is a bonafide "I didn't know I was pregnant" story. She was in the military at the time, slim and petite. I believe my sister just got back from Marine combat training when my niece made her surprise debut at Camp Pendleton. Rady Children's Hospital provided the transportation for my niece who was only 1 pound and 14 ounces.

• Are you a member of one of our Guilds?
    I'm not sure how to join a Guild officially, but I am looking to either San Diego or Los Angeles. I'm inbetween both cities.

• What do you do when you aren't helping kids?
    I work at an insurance company and help out with a video gaming podcast as their social media person. Of course, I'm gaming at home, running errands, or spending time with the family.

• Anything else you'd like your fellow Extra Lifers to know about you!
    I generally stream at Twitch.tv/KookyPersona mainly on my PS4, and sometimes on PC and XBox360 (no XboxOne yet).
  • Like 4

• Why do you Extra Life? - I love video games, and I want to give back to my community, and help save kids lives; Extra Life is the perfect fit.  Children's Miracle network hospitals are an incredible asset to have in any community.  If I can play video games to help them stay in the community, all the better.
  • How long have you been participating? - 2016 will be my 4th year participating.
  • What Hospital do you play for and why? - Akron Children's hospital.  They are right in my back yard and have clinics all round my area....plus they are pretty awesome.
  • Are you a member of one of our Guilds? - I am president of the Akron Guild (currently in the process of forming)
  • What do you do when you aren't helping kids? - I'm a dad, husband, and I have job....so plenty for me to do.  lol   I love movies, hiking, and anything with gaming (video games, table top, etc).
  • Anything else you'd like your fellow Extra Lifers to know about you! - I'm always open to chat it up about gaming, movies, Extra Life, or what ever.  
  • Like 4

• Why do you Extra Life?
    • To make a difference! I wanted to do something more with my free time - I feel an obligation to give back and to do something worth while in the world, so I began researching charities. When I found Extra Life, I was immediately drawn to the cause. Help kids in need while I do an activity that I would have been doing anyway? NAILED IT.
      Not only that, but the CMN has such great "reviews" when it comes to putting donations to good use. I couldn't be more proud to be part of this organization.
    • Since April/May of this year (2015)
    • Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. It's my local CMN hospital and I wanted to make sure I chose a hospital that was within visiting distance. I want to do more than participate online - I want to be able to physically help out when the opportunity arises!
    • The Atlanta Guild
    • Other than a plethora of social media scrolling and Netflix watching? ;) When I'm not gaming I spend time with my husband and I like doing creative things like work on my stream graphics, take pictures, read, sew, etc.
    • I'm a bit animal obsessed....and I wish Hogwarts was real :P 
  • Like 7

On 10/11/2015 at 6:35 PM, KnightHarbinger said:

Welcome sir!  You are in good company with us.

I do love your choice of streamed games!

o/  ;)

thanks! got some BIG plans for this year, hope your followed ^_- 

February, i'm doing a FF7 theme, gonna be marathon'ing FF7 Crisis Core, then playing FF7 throughout the month, followed by Dirge of Cerberus! should be a good time ^^

• Like 5

Hey all!

My name is Doug, and I am a video editor by day. I've been participating in Extra Life for the last two years. On the weekends I stream games on Twitch. My stream time, all year is dedicated to Extra Life and Oakland Childrens' Hospital. Streaming on Twitch is super fun, and I figure that I might as well do my part to try and raise some cash for a good cause while I'm having fun playing games. If you want, feel free to hit me up on Twitter or Twitch and we can maybe get some games in together!

Thanks everyone. Hope to see you around!

• Like 6

• Why do you Extra Life?
    • My sons (now 12) were born almost four months premature.  Their organs weren't fully developed and they spent the next six months in the NICU at Akron Children's Hospital.  Not only did the professionals there do an amazing job with my kids but the hospital was a place of support during one of the worst experiences of my life.  Even after my boys were healthy enough to come home the hospital stayed involved.  Premature children usually hit developmental milestones at a slower pace than normally developed children and the hospital would send people to my home and do activities to try and help my sons adapt, and it was because of that program we discovered Trent's autism at a very young age.  Diagnosing it early allowed us to wrap him with services (all provided by Akron Children's Hospital) to help him learn and grow. It helped me and my wife too as the hospital had classes and seminars for parents of children with disabilities.  The hospital has given me and my family so much, and I Extra Life so that I can give a little back and to help support a system that helps so many. 
    • Since September 2015
    • Akron Children's Hospital
    • The Akron Guild.  
    • I'm a dad, a husband, and I work full time.  The wife and I watch anime, I LOVE to play video games and board games, and I like to fish. 
    • I stream through the week at twitch.tv/daddywarrbux. Just be prepared, here there be Metal

s-l300.jpg

• Like 4

I was poking around in here and it occurred to me that I haven't actually introduced myself! Forgive my rudeness - I can fix it!

Here goes: I'm Kate Morosky. I know what you're thinking. You're jealous because my username is just so creative... LOL.

Seriously though, I am an Extra Lifer because I think that whether we know it or not, we've all met AT LEAST one person who owes their life to the hospitals we support. It's really wonderful to be a part of something so incredible. I can hardly believe I've been a part of this since 2011 - this is my 6th year already. Wow... now I feel old.

My team and I support the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, because it feels right to help out right here where I live, and because I know that someone special to me wouldn't even be alive today if not for CHP.

It's really cool to be able to say that I was there for the formation of one of the first Guilds in 2013. It was exciting and a little intimidating to be the very first president of one of the very first guilds! I had to take a step back for a while, but I'm enjoying my time as Vice President now! So as a guild officer, Extra Life is pretty much my biggest hobby these days. Personally, I don't stream, or have tons of social media followers, so when I raise money for the kids it's mostly by trading donations for baked goods and pestering people in person. ;) Time consuming, but worth it!   

Now what else to say... How about... Here's a bunch of sentences that describe me:

• I'm not fond of sewing, but I've gotten good at it anyway because I love cosplaying.
  • I'm always writing random stories but never actually doing anything useful with them.
  • I'll never be able to complain that my husband games too much or watches too much anime - because I do the same.       
  • We cancelled our cable TV because we spend all our time gaming and watching youtube/crunchyroll/netflix.
  • We attend random local Steampunk events when the mood strikes us.
  • We have two adorable cats that are named after video game characters.

In closing, you should know that it's pretty fun to send and receive messages. So even if "Cool, we have something in common!" is all you want to say, go right ahead!:D

• Like 5

On 9/22/2015 at 5:03 PM, Sapience said:
  • Why do you Extra Life?

Hey, hey, fellow Extra Lifers! I thought I'd take a few minutes to introduce myself for those who don't know me. I've enjoyed reading through everyone else's posts! I'll just go ahead and answer the original questions :D 

I joined Extra Life as a way to get myself out and about and to meet like-minded individuals. I've always been in love with games, and, while my fiancee plays here and there with me, I wanted some people I could hang out with who shared the same passion for games that I do. I had always been intrigued with Extra Life, but I didn't know much about it. So when I saw a post on hospital forums where I work about a Extra Life guild meeting, I jumped right on it. The more I learned about EL, the more I wanted to be a part of it.

2015 was the first year I participated. I joined the local Grand Rapids guild and had a great time throughout the year! I got to help out at our local conventions and meet a ton of cool and interesting people. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle game day, so with about a month to go, I furiously researched Twitch streaming and learned as much as I could about it. A few weeks before game day, I streamed for the first time and had a blast. Thanks to some very generous people, I was able to hit my goal (which I thought impossible). 

Not too long after Game Day, our guild VP posted a message about the offical EL Twitch channel was looking for streamers to air regularly every week. I was intrigued and decided to apply just to see, assuming I wouldn't have a chance considering I had only been streaming for about a month, had 15 followers, and was brand new to EL. Turns out, I was lucky enough to have been chosen to represent EL on Twitch every Sunday at 11PM EST! I still feel very honored to have been giving the opportunity to help spread the EL message! Everyone on the Stream Team has been awesome and I'm lucky to be able to be a part of it.

2016 will be my first full EL year, and I'm looking forward to raising as much as I can for the children in need. I have recently been appointed secretary of our guild. We are raising money for the Helen DeVos Children's Hospital here in Grand Rapids. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about this hospital. (IIRC, they hired people to literally climb the outside of the hospital (it's all glass) dressed as the Avengers and surprise the kids for Halloween.) 

When I'm not doing Extra Life, I'm basically planning a wedding. It's a lot of work! That, or I am at work. I am a medical coder for Spectrum Health Medical Group in Grand Rapids, MI. 

Anyway, I rambled quite a bit there :) It's been awesome getting to know all of you, whether it be through here, or from me or you popping into the EL streams. Everyone here is doing a wonderful thing!

Aaron

(CaKarst)

• Like 3

About time I post here, eh?

• Why do you Extra Life? It started mostly on a whim, a new community to get involved with and meet people from my local guild, but, it's now more than that, the hospital I am raising for, Wolfson Children's Hospital, has a place in my heart, always has. My best friend, who lost his battle with cancer a number of years ago. spent a great deal of time on the cancer floor, and I spent a lot of time visiting there, the nurses were great, everybody there was great, I have friends now who work there, and I know some of the board members. Doing this to give back, is the least I could do.
  • How long have you been participating? As of this post, this is my second year.
  • What Hospital do you play for and why? Wolfson Children's hospital, I mentioned above that my best friend spent a lot of time there.
  • Are you a member of one of our Guilds? Yes, Jacksonville Guild.
  • What do you do when you aren't helping kids? I wear many hats in a Real Estate office, and I sometimes attend events dressed as a Ghostbuster.
  • Anything else you'd like your fellow Extra Lifers to know about you! I mentioned the Ghostbuster thing above, I am part of a group called the Jacksonville Ghostbusters, we attend various functions throughout the year, last year was my first year for that as well.
  • Like 3

Hi I'm Minion or Mandy. I am new to Extra Life and I chose to do Extra Life for the first time this year because I know the struggles that kids face. I was born with medical issues and been in the hospital I know the financial struggles my mom had to go though and now that I'm older I decided to help out others in the same position. I'm supporting Boston Children's Hospital. I am not apart of any Guilds you have. When I'm not helping kids out I'm helping animals volunteering at shelters around town, reading books and going to college for my veterinary assistant degree. What I'd like others to know is that I am new to Extra Life, but not new to the struggles families face with being in the hospital and the costs of procedures and invasive treatments. I love to help out anyway I can I been there and I know what they face daily and can sympathize with them. Anything else don't hesitate to ask me. 

• Like 4

Hello!  

I participated in Extra Life for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago and decided to participate for 2016. Since I could not find a local hospital to play for, I am playing for the children's hospital in my hometown of El Paso, Texas. I was excited to learn that I could put my gameplay to good use with Extra Life. I plan to stream on Twitch from Xbox One. I am not a member one of the Guilds. Not really sure what they are since this is my first time participating in the forums. 

I work full time, five days a week. I try to game when I get a chance. When I'm not working or gaming, I'm reading, doodling in my sketchbook, running, or spending time with my family.

I look forward to participating this year and hope I can surpass my fundraising goal.

• Like 3

Hey Everybody, 

My name is Sean Myslewski and i play Action Adventure Games along with Sports Games like Rocket League :). I do extra life because i see the videos of these kid's struggling and it saddens me to see these great kids have there lives cut short. I have been on twitch since 2012 but last year was my first year doing a extra life campaign stream. I have donated around $500 over the past few years to extra life myself. I became a active twitch streamer since early last year. I am Playing for the Connecticut Children's Medical Center. I recently went a guild kick-off meeting in Hartford CT last night and was a blast meeting everybody for the first time and hopefully more in the future. I recently became a uncle so that has opened my eyes to a whole new chapter. I look forward to be part of this great group of people/community to help make a difference in kid's lives and provide a better future for as many as we can. *My Twitch is www.twitch.tv/RedK1 if anybody wants to chill and hang out*

• Like 2

Hey, my name is Will. I'm 18, and an Atlanta native.

i have lost interest in console gaming (although I will play PS3 and PC on occasion) but I am obsessed with rhythm games.

im a big DDR player although I mainly grew up with In The Groove 2. I occasionally stream on twitch and I hope to do a charity stream in the near future.

• Like 2

Hello all, I'm very new here. I'm 28 and have been a gamer all my life. I grew up Nintendo and am still very fond of Nintendo but lately I'm pretty much a PC gamer. My favorite genre's are indies of all types and class based shooters, especially Garden Warfare.

Hopefully I'll be able to help out! Maybe you can help me? My first post was in the QnA and I'm really looking for some answers!

• Like 2

Welcome everyone!!

@sugarbriches82

On 3/6/2016 at 0:19 PM, sugarbriches82 said:

I am not a member one of the Guilds. Not really sure what they are since this is my first time participating in the forums. 

Guilds are local extra lifers that meet once a month (sometimes including a hospital rep) with the purpose of recruiting new members! They plan events, get booths at conventions, discuss the year's goals and how to exceed them, etc.. It's a way to get more involved with Extra Life beyond fundraising.

Check out the Guild Directory as well as the info on the main forum page to learn more! Each Guild has leaders you may contact directly in the forums for details as well.

@SkorpionX16 I am in GA as well, and we have an active Atlanta Guild! You should join us :D  Atlanta Guild

• Like 2

Slight delay in signing up for this year's event  / getting to a real computer to do so.

Hi! I'm Maria.

I can't wait to get started in spreading the Extra Life message across the east end of the GTA.

I had a contact in Peterborough for a local gaming convention happening there in June and another one for Oshawa in October.

Why do you Extra Life?

- Because I can. I mean do I really need an excuse to play games for 24 hours?

How long have you been participating?

- 2014 and 2015

What Hospital do you play for and why?

- SickKids because its local 

Are you a member of one of our Guilds?

- Is this a trick question?

What do you do when you aren't helping kids?

- Gaming. Crafting. Working *grumble*

Anything else you'd like your fellow Extra Lifers to know about you!

- Nah. :)

Edited by AjaxWhat
I didnt see the questions until after saying my brief hello.
  • Like 1

Oh golly. I replied to this post on the last iteration of the forums and I guess it didn't carry over? Am I crazy. Probs. 

Anywho-

• Why do you Extra Life?
    • I Extra Life because I like helping and I never had a good outlet that spoke to me. I wasn't going to run or spend my time at a food bank, but I knew I wanted to contribute something. Enter, Extra Life. 
    • I have been doing for the kids since 2013. I have attended both Extra Life United 2014 and 2016. 
    • Children's Hospital Colorado
    • I am a member of the Denver Guild
    • I am a father and husband. I write for bigheartedgamers.com. I work support and sales for a Private Investigator Case Management Software company. I play games. All of the games. So much games. 
    • I started #100daysofgaming, a crazy challenge to play a game a day for 100 days up until the National Day. I started this in 2014 by myself, then it grew to about 24 people in 2015 and I know we will likely have more in 2016. If you want to join I am happy to talk about it!
  • Like 2

• Why do you Extra Life?
    • I've always wanted to be able to give back to my community, but, as a stout, dwarvish type of fellow, running a 5k marathon was out of the question. Instead, I found Extra Life! Playing video games to raise money in order to help kids directly in my own backyard? Kids that I transport in emergency situations to my local children's hospital? Yes. It was a no brainer. I signed up and never looked back.
    • 2015 was my first year! I've been part of the EL stream team and had a blast at Extra Life United 2016! <3 (Miss you guys like WOAH!)
    • Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago; as a paramedic, I am frequently transporting sick and injured kids to their emergency and standard care departments. This is very personal for me and I couldn't be more proud to be helping such an incredible facility in which I've witnessed, firsthand, the level of care these kids get thanks to the amazingly talented and loving staff.
    • I am the secretary of the Chicago Guild.
    • Full-time paramedic, full-time student at ASU, part-time streamer, blogger, and dungeon master. All-time gamer. Seriously. Games all the time!
    • If you ever want to game, chat, or talk Extra Life strategies, feel free to hit me up! Best of luck with all of your gaming and fundraising this year! <3 <3 <3
  • Like 2

Hey all!  I've been here a while, mostly keep to my guild forum... But it is now time to branch out a bit.  

Why Do you Extra Life? 

I have had a decent number of students need the services of our local Children's Hospital.  So in the 6 years I have been doing this, I do it mostly for them. Though now, I have my own son and while I hope he never needs the services of our hospital, I do this for him as well. 

How Long have you been Participating? 

My first Extra Life was in 2011. IN 2012 my best friend and I poured our hearts into running an Extra Life event for our local area. We were technically the first big event in the area, but my friend wasn't happy with the result and stopped. IN 2013 I partnered with a local Game Store to keep running the event, and it has gotten a little bit bigger every year. I am a little worried about this years event, as I haven't had a much time to plan and get things together. I know I still have like 6 months... But still. (I'm a new father.) 

The Bernard & Millie Duker Children's Hospital at Albany Medical Center.  HUGE FREAKING NAME!!!!  I wish I could come up with a big enough donation to change it. (How cool would that be... To raise that much doing Extra Life!) Why? It's our local hospital. Where I work is on the southern border of the region our hospital services. Our hospital coverd twenty-five counties in NY. 

Are you a member of one of our guilds? 

I am the guild president of the Albany Extra Life Guild. 

What do you do when you aren't helping children? 

I am a middle school science teacher... (So I am always helping children.) I'm a father (of 7 months at the time of those posting), a video game journalist/podcaster.  Some of my friends would say I wear more hats than that... 

Anything else you want Extra Lifers to know about you? 

I am a pretty down to Earth guy.  I get very passionate about my events and things like that. I am also always willing to help... Just be warned I might not be here on the daily basis because my family does come before all else. 

• Like 1

Hello!  Long time listener, first time poster (kind of)!

Why Do you Extra Life? 

Many of us have known ourselves or know family members or friends who have been touched by the love and support that comes from a Children's Miracle Network facility and it's amazing team members, doctors, nurses, etc.  I can think of no higher honor than to give back and support this organization.  My best friends son was diagnosed with an ATRT (very rare brain tumor) at the age of 1.  He was predicted to only live for a few months and lived for 4 more years!  The folks at Children's Hospital in Denver were an incredible group of health care givers and I want to honor that.

How Long have you been Participating? 

This will be my 5th year participating in Extra Life and each year after the first I've put together team of like minded individuals and we play at a local Co-Working space on game day in addition to throughout the year fundraising.

Denver Children's Hospital

Are you a member of one of our guilds? 

Yes, the Denver Guild

What do you do when you aren't helping children? 

I am a husband, father of 3, gamer (PC, Mac, Console, Handheld, etc), software developer, and charity streamer.

Anything else you want Extra Lifers to know about you? 

Ask away, I'm pretty open!

-Mike (SirMrCl3an) Perrotto

• Like 1

Hello Extra-Life I'm Elizabeth

I'm participating in Extra Life to help out the kids and to help me get over my fear of livestreaming more often.

This is my first Extra Life event.

I'm playing for the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt.

I'm not a member of any guilds.

I work too many long hours at my current job to have much of a social life.

• Like 2

Hey Everyone! My Name is Patrick(Paddy) and my gamertag for psn is Zith6936. For Steam its psn_zith6936. For Origin its Zithroxx. and last but not least, for Battlenet it's zith6936#1339.  I'm new to streaming and to Extra Life. You can find me at https://www.twitch.tv/zith6936 where I like to chill out and play a variety of games. Mostly everything except for fighting, sports, and racing.

- I First found out about ExtraLife back in 2015 and was going to do a 24 hour marathon but I was robbed the day before and all of my electronics and games were stolen. Luckily I had insurance, but I was devastated I couldn't raise money, but hopefully this year will change. I also chose Extra Life because the Washington D.C Children's hospital helped restore my hearing at an early age and I would love to give back to an organization that helped me hear birds chirping, laughter, and the sound of a Mario jump.

-I am currently not a member of any guild, but would really like to join one! Preferably in the D.C area. If anyone has one for me to join, please contact me!

-When I'm not helping kids I work for the government and do bicycle events throughout VA. Most Recent one was a VCU alumni and the next one will be for injured veterans here in D.C.

If anyone would like me to join your community or guild I would love to do so. Otherwise I'm planning on doing my first individual 24-hour Charity stream in October. Hope this reaches anyone who is interested in supporting or teaming up with me! You guys are awesome!

-Zith

Edited by Zith
Quick edit
  • Like 1

• Why do you Extra Life? I Extra Life because it's something I can do that's suprisingly challenging but still within my fitness levels!

• How long have you been participating? This will be my 4th year!

• What Hospital do you play for and why? First time out was NHS Royal Hospital for Sick Children. Since then it's been Texas Childrens Hospital (Rockets fan), then Boston Childrens Hospital (I like Harmonix, they are in Boston) and this year Sick Kids because it's one of the few international options!

• Are you a member of one of our Guilds? I didn't even know there were any guilds. Eyes wide shut over here - I'll be off to explore that later and if I can't find one for the UK I'll make it myself!

• What do you do when you aren't helping kids? Work too much. I spend the rest of the time complaining about work and injuring myself when trying to get fit and unwind by smoking some meat on the BBQ rain or shine!

• Anything else you'd like your fellow Extra Lifers to know about you! Metalhead, Motorsport and NBA fan all rolled into one. Also kinda fond of board games these days!

• Why do I Extra Life? Because I like helping sick kids I have had a few in my family 
  • How long have I been participating? This would be my 1st year :D
  • What Hospital do I play for and why? baystate children's Hospital and why do I choose this one? Because I have had many family members in this hospital 
  • Are you a member of one of our Guilds? No i am not
  • What do you do when you aren't helping kids? When I am not helping kids I am normally gaming 
  • Anything else I'd like my fellow Extra Lifers to know about you! Hello everyone my name is Josh I am 31 years old and I have been gaming for about 25-26 years I don't really like talking about myself that much but I really like to play MMORPGS and I am a vivid gamer :D