Doc

ELU 2016 - What we know so far

Which Track do you think you will register for?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one:

• Video Games (Console-Style)
    • Video Games (PC-Style)
    • TableTop
    • Tori's Angels
  2. 2. Are you interested in sharing a room to reduce hotel costs?

• Yes
    • No

I live local, so I plan on attending. What are the game titles for the various tracks though? I play all three types, so my track choice is going to be dependent on the titles. I was hoping we would have some info by now, so I can process my registration. If anyone has info, I'd love to know. Thanks!

• Like 1

On January 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Shadow26inc said:

I live local, so I plan on attending. What are the game titles for the various tracks though? I play all three types, so my track choice is going to be dependent on the titles. I was hoping we would have some info by now, so I can process my registration. If anyone has info, I'd love to know. Thanks!

Titles haven't been announced yet. I think it's written somewhere that they planned to announce them 'in January' so it should be any time now.

But I know how you feel. This anticipation is driving me crazy! :-D

Is the tabletop track only for 1 day? During registration it appeared that the PC and console tracks are for multiple days while tabletop is not. Am I correct about this?

On January 10, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Derek.will85 said:

Is the tabletop track only for 1 day? During registration it appeared that the PC and console tracks are for multiple days while tabletop is not. Am I correct about this?

Weird. I don't know why it would be only one day. I think I remember reading that they designed this year's events to make sure everyone got to participate the whole time.

Maybe it's just a glitch on the site? I would think you'd participate the whole time even for tabletop. I'm sure we should get more info soon.

I'm hoping they announce the games soon too. We need our training montage time!

• Like 1

As of Monday I heard that they were still putting the details together and that they would make a very public announcement when everything was finalized. Still no ETA though.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2016 at 8:37 AM, K8Morosky said:

So... are there seriously only 86 people registered for ELU this year? That makes me so sad!

I just might start yelling EVERYONE NEEDS TO JUST COME TO EXTRA LIFE UNITED BECAUSE IT'S GREAT AND YES THE GAMING IS GOOD BUT THAT'S NOT EVEN THE BEST PART BECAUSE THE KIDS ARE AWESOMELY SUPER GREAT AND I CANT WAIT TO DO THE PIN EXCHANGE AGAIN!

*pant* *pant* Sorry for that little outburst. Carry on everyone.

I think perhaps many of the hospitals have not registered the players they are sending. I know when you posted this my hospital had not register myself or the other person we are sending...but now I am and I am SO EXCITED to attend!

I can't wait to find out what the games are for the tabletop track...I see many a game night in my future.

On 1/18/2016 at 3:27 PM, MedievalMelody said:

I think perhaps many of the hospitals have not registered the players they are sending. I know when you posted this my hospital had not register myself or the other person we are sending...but now I am and I am SO EXCITED to attend!

I can't wait to find out what the games are for the tabletop track...I see many a game night in my future.

So, some hospitals send a player to ELU? That's so cool. My hospital does not currently have a guild. This year was their first year to have a team working on their behalf.

I am excited to talk to some of you guys to get ideas on how to grow our local group!

Lucky! I wish our hospital would consider helping members of our guild attend. As it stands, we pay our own way - flying down from Pittsburgh isn't cheap. But I guess I can take comfort in recognizing that the experience is priceless. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2016 at 7:55 PM, K8Morosky said:

Lucky! I wish our hospital would consider helping members of our guild attend. As it stands, we pay our own way - flying down from Pittsburgh isn't cheap. But I guess I can take comfort in recognizing that the experience is priceless. 

This is how I feel and I'm flying from New York. But this is a once in a lifetime experience that I don't want to miss again (hopefully more than once if possible).

Quick question to any staff who may know; I know this will be streamed on the Extra Life 4 Kids Twitch page, but are you guys looking for volunteers to shout cast during the tournament? I would be happy to do so and help out if needed (while I'm not playing of course!) I think it would also be really cool to be able to bring some of the champion children up to the shout casting booth and have them talk to the stream and help with the casting, and I'm sure they would love that! 

I did not attend last year, so I'm not sure if this is already in place, just offering some volunteeringness! (I make up words a lot ;) )

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Loomin said:

Quick question to any staff who may know; I know this will be streamed on the Extra Life 4 Kids Twitch page, but are you guys looking for volunteers to shout cast during the tournament? I would be happy to do so and help out if needed (while I'm not playing of course!) I think it would also be really cool to be able to bring some of the champion children up to the shout casting booth and have them talk to the stream and help with the casting, and I'm sure they would love that! 

I did not attend last year, so I'm not sure if this is already in place, just offering some volunteeringness! (I make up words a lot ;) )

We did have at least one the champions take part in the stream in addition to several Twitch personalities (and now ex-Frag Dolls :(, Esper and SiREN), so I imagine something like this will happen again. That little champion though, probably could have commentated the entire event if we let her, she was incredibly precocious.

There is also a crew of volunteers (Tori's Angels) coming to ELU specifically to help out with the particulars of the event, so the tournament participants can focus on playing.  

On 1/20/2016 at 5:55 PM, K8Morosky said:

I have been thinking about this. I would never want to detract from raising money for the hospital, but perhaps there is a way for the Guilds to help off-set this cost somehow in the years to come. A bake-sale is all I can think of, but I went to Catholic School and that's pretty much how we afforded anything (field trips, etc). 

On 1/8/2016 at 8:20 AM, K8Morosky said:

Yeah, it's definitely not cheap, I'll give you that. In all honesty maybe there are more practical things to spend nearly $2000 (for two people) on, but I've always believed that money doesn't buy happiness -unless you spend it on fulfilling experiences like this one.

So yes, I understand that many don't have the means.  I just hope that those who are fortunate enough to have a way to make a trip like this happen give it some serious thought. :) 

Because it's great! 

Did I mention awesome?

It's also awesome. 

Just 46 days!

So excite. Much can't wait. Wow. 

I can honestly say I've spent as much or more attending PAX Prime and E3 in the past and neither of those shows come close to the incredible feeling you will get from attending Extra Life United.  It might sound hokey, or maybe a little or cheerleader-ish, but I believe nearly everyone who attended ELU last year has commented at some point since that it was life changing or gave them a whole new perspective on what we do and why. I don't think I ever had that feeling about PAX or E3.

If you have the means, as Kate said, you should give this some serious thought.  Please hurry though as registration ends Monday Feb 8!

• Like 5

Quick peripheral question; if we would rather bring our own controllers for the Console Track, or bring our own keyboard/mouse for the PC track, (or bring our own Connect 4 Checkers for the Tabletop Track, :P) are we able to? @Sapience

Also ELU will be here in two weeks! HYPE!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Loomin said:

Quick peripheral question; if we would rather bring our own controllers for the Console Track, or bring our own keyboard/mouse for the PC track, (or bring our own Connect 4 Checkers for the Tabletop Track, :P) are we able to? @Sapience

Also ELU will be here in two weeks! HYPE!

Good Question! My gut says no, but @DJThunderstix would have the final answer on that one!

• Like 2