ELU 2016 - What we know so far - Extra Life United 2016 - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Doc

ELU 2016 - What we know so far

Which Track do you think you will register for?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one:

• Video Games (Console-Style)
    • Video Games (PC-Style)
    • TableTop
    • Tori's Angels
  2. 2. Are you interested in sharing a room to reduce hotel costs?

• Yes
    • No

UPDATE: The Save the Date announcement can be found here: http://community.extra-life.org/united

Hi everyone!

An official SAVE THE DATE announcement is going live soon.  For the 65 folks that attended last year, you will notice a few differences this year that I want to highlight now, prior to the big announcement.

Last year, a major portion of your ticket price was underwritten by Twitch.  The true cost of attendance for each person was somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 per person.

This year we're doing things a bit differently.

When announced your ticket will cover only event admission and a few meals and snacks during the event.  Breakfasts and Dinners, Hotel, and Park Admission will be up to you to decide on.  This way we're not forcing everyone to eat at Disney Prices or to pay for park tickets they might not use.  This way, you can bunk up together on property and split costs, or find a local low-cost option that allows you quick access to Coronado Springs.

Also different this year will be the way the whole tournament works.  Rather than risking coming down and being "out" in an elimination bracket, numerous events will be held throughout ELU. and losing one doesn't keep you from participating in the next one.

Speaking of events, the third major change to this year is the addition of "Tracks".  When registration opens you'll be asked to choose a track.  There will be three participant tracks and one volunteer track.  Participant Tracks will be Video Games (Console-Style), Video Games (PC-Style), and an exciting addition TableTop.  The Volunteer Track, Tori's Angels, will be for folks who want to attend but don't want to compete in the various events.  Think PAX Enforcers or Rooster Teeth Guardians.  While the number of people allowed into the participant tracks will be your choice, we only need about 10 Tori's Angels to pull off the event, and the number of those will be limited when registration opens.

Watch your inbox and this forum for updates.  We expect to unleash a far-more detail-laden post at that time.

As a reminder ELU 2016 is February 23-26 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Orlando.

You heard it here first!

• Like 4

I love the addition of Tracks and the variance of options - Thank you so much for your efforts! 

2e06a4dbad3e80ac82a8fd771fe3f6c4.thumb.j

Thanks so much for all that you and Liz and Rick, and the rest of the Extra Life team did to make ELU happen again! I mean, I played some games and stuff, but that wasn't even the highlight. Momentum was an amazing experience and meeting the kids that we fight for made my YEAR!

• Like 1

This year sounds like it's going to be bigger, better, and brighter. To which I say, BRING IT. I can't wait.

This year sounds like it's going to be bigger, better, and brighter. To which I say, BRING IT. I can't wait.

You have no idea... :)

• Like 1

I cannot wait and I've already had two people hear about ELU and ask what it was and for more info- I think this year is going to be huge! 

If you look on the registration site, there is a room block available for ELU member at Disney's Coronado Springs resort for those who wish to stay on the property. You can find more travel and hotel info here: http://www.cvent.com/events/extra-life-united-2016/custom-17-9933e3cc33934a2687a577a4f2bbd3fb.aspx'

Given that 36 of you responded you would like to share a room, you might want to start a thread looking for room mates. Kinda like PAX. :)

Edited by Sapience

Quick question @Sapience, are you no longer doing the Tori's Angels track? I don't see that as an option and personally would much rather help out rather than participate.

If it's no longer available, that means that track has sold out. There were a limited number of Tori's Angel spots available.

• Like 1

If it's no longer available, that means that track has sold out. There were a limited number of Tori's Angel spots available.

Darn slow email servers! xD oh well looks like  I will have to play some games ◔̯◔

Thanks for the help @Sapience, at least I got that question out of the way.

• Like 1

Hi there! I joined Extra Life after hearing about it this past year. I came across this event, and can't believe this amazing event takes place every year for Extra Lifers. I'm totally interested in going, but have a couple questions. I'm coming from California, and I really haven't planned anything out yet. I read that there is the different tracks, plus hotel, airfare, and food expenses. Could you do more than one track? When is the last day for registration?

Hey @KookyPersona!

I'm pretty sure you can only do one track at a time.  Each one should keep you busy enough you wouldn't have time to wander to another save maybe quick observation to see what "the other tracks" are up to.  Also the site where you manage your reservation, including your Game Track selection, is listed in radio buttons vs. check boxes.  Indicating that at least from an official event registration perspective you can only select one.  Come event day though who knows.  I'm sure there will be varying degrees of track cross-over in one or more forms.  ;)

As far as last day to register goes.  Other than either the week leading up to or maybe even there isn't one really as much as you buy a ticket and get in there day of. 

As far as I know there are still a few hundred or so slots available.  But @Sapience or @DJThunderstix can probably let us know that exact number at this point in ye olde time.

It is an amazing/life changing event.  SOOOO much going on.  Such an emotional overload in the best way.. ;0 ;)

o/  ;)

• Like 1

Just wondering exactly when the games list will become available for each track? I'd like to get some serious practice going soon since we are getting close to the big day!

• Like 1

So... are there seriously only 86 people registered for ELU this year? That makes me so sad!

I just might start yelling EVERYONE NEEDS TO JUST COME TO EXTRA LIFE UNITED BECAUSE IT'S GREAT AND YES THE GAMING IS GOOD BUT THAT'S NOT EVEN THE BEST PART BECAUSE THE KIDS ARE AWESOMELY SUPER GREAT AND I CANT WAIT TO DO THE PIN EXCHANGE AGAIN!

*pant* *pant* Sorry for that little outburst. Carry on everyone.

• Like 3

I get it though, it's not cheap to get to Orlando, and a lot of people can't get the time off to do it.

For us in Canada it's become even worse as our dollar has fallen by about 20 per cent compared to the US dollar in the past year and a half.

But I am super excited. Just another month or so!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sean Rooney said:

I get it though, it's not cheap to get to Orlando, and a lot of people can't get the time off to do it.

For us in Canada it's become even worse as our dollar has fallen by about 20 per cent compared to the US dollar in the past year and a half.

But I am super excited. Just another month or so!

Yeah, it's definitely not cheap, I'll give you that. In all honesty maybe there are more practical things to spend nearly $2000 (for two people) on, but I've always believed that money doesn't buy happiness -unless you spend it on fulfilling experiences like this one.

So yes, I understand that many don't have the means.  I just hope that those who are fortunate enough to have a way to make a trip like this happen give it some serious thought. :) 

Because it's great! 

Did I mention awesome?

It's also awesome. 

Just 46 days!

So excite. Much can't wait. Wow. 

• Like 1