Volunteers Needed for Austin Comic Con 10/30 & 10/31 - Austin, TX - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
MrArcys

Volunteers Needed for Austin Comic Con 10/30 & 10/31

Hey folks! We have secured a table at Wizard World Austin Comic Con on October 30th and 31st! We will need volunteers to staff the booth during show hours. Please see the details below.

• Date- Friday and Saturday, October 30th and 31st.
  • Hours - 11:30AM to 8PM on Friday, 9:30AM to 7:30PM on Saturday; Multiple Shifts offered throughout the day.
    • Actual show hours are from Noon to 8PM on Friday and 10Am to 7PM on Saturday
    • The first shift on Friday and the first and last shifts on Saturday extend 30 minutes beyond show hours so that the booth is staffed before attendees hit the exhibit hall floor.
    • Setup is to be determined. Tear down will occur immediately after the show closes on Saturday and should not take more than 30 minutes.
  • If you are interested in volunteering for one or more shifts, please place your name on the volunteer schedule.
    • If you volunteer, you will be provided an exhibitor wristband for the duration of the Convention. Wristbands are limited as you cannot remove the wristband once it has been put on your wrist. Please indicate in a post below or on the schedule if you have already have or intend to purchase an attendee badge.
  • You must attend an Extra Life Austin Guild Convention Training Session before you can volunteer. Materials are currently being developed for the training session; more information will be announced shortly. Expect a session the first or second weeks of October.
Edited by MrArcys

Just FYI for those considering volunteering - the con is at the Austin Convention Center on Friday, October 30th from 12pm - 8pm and Saturday, October 31 from 10am - 7pm.

I should be able to help out at the con, but I have a few questions:

• I'm not actually planning on attending the con, so would I be admitted for free to volunteer or do I have to buy a badge in order to work the booth?
  • About the booth:
    • Do you need help with booth setup/teardown? If so, when are the setup/teardown times?
    • What is the booth #?
  • How are we organizing the volunteers schedules?
    • Do you need people to volunteer to stay all day, or sign up for certain time slots?
    • Are we using Google calendars or some scheduling software to keep track of who is supposed to cover what time slots?
  • Do you have a schedule of Convention Training sessions available?
  • Do you need people to bring/buy items for the booth?
    • laptop to use for sign ups?
    • table cloth/banner/flyers/promo materials/other booth supplies?

Whew. Sorry for the 3rd degree here, but I just want to make sure everything's set and help out as best I can. :D

Okay. I have restored the post.

To answer your supply questions, we have a supply kit on hand that has all the stuff we need to setup the booth.

Okay. I have restored the post.

To answer your supply questions, we have a supply kit on hand that has all the stuff we need to setup the booth.

Haha, I thought it was a bit weird you posted without any text. Good to know. See ya there!

I just got a ton of information for y'all. I'll read through it when I get home and post details later this evening.

Sorry about the lack of update last night. My computer lost its mind and derped out on me. Tonight for sure!

Okay! Incoming information!

Floor Plan

Edyhn67.png

Above is the floor plan. We are the 10x10 booth in the red square. Our booth number is 513. The 10x10 booth to our right is called Altered Landscapes. The 10x20 booth to our left is The Fightin' 788th, a GI Joe cosplay group.

The orange line delineates what the Austin Convention Center refers to as Halls 4 and 5. There's signage around the building referring to them as such. The line doesn't indicate a barrier. These halls are on the north side of the convention center; this is the side nearest the Hilton and 4th Street.

Expenses

The hospital has kindly offered to pay for meals, drinks, and parking while you are on duty and within reason. We're talking about bottled water, convention center concessions and snacks, or if somebody does a Whataburger run. Nothing sit-down unless pre-approved by Kip.

In order to get reimbursed, we must have the original receipts. There will be envelopes for you to put your receipts in at the booth. Make sure to write your name on the envelope.

Parking

The nearest parking garage is the Convention Center parking on 4th and Red River.

Load In/Out

I will be handling load in either Thursday night or Friday morning. The booth is simple to setup, so I won't need any help for load in. The last shift of the convention has an extra 30 minutes built in for teardown. We'll be toting the booth and a few boxes to the loading dock. It won't take 30 minutes, so expect to get out of there around 7:15PM if we don't dilly-dally.

I'm still waiting for some more detail on wristbands for our booth from our sales contact. I'll also have details on our booth setup.