Jack Gardner

Extra Life News:Hideo Kojima Says Goodbye to Metal Gear

KojimaThanks-970.thumb.jpg.b1a09fbe3a7f5

Konami has released what some are considering to be Kojima's final debriefing on the Metal Gear franchise. Despite recent events that have indicated that Kojima and Konami have had a major falling out, the video doesn't allow that rancor to seep in to its message. The video is a thank you, both to Hideo Kojima and to those who have been touched by his work. It also carries with it an air of farewell. 

The video starts off with a series of prominent people in the video game industry who have worked with Hideo Kojima talking about his passion and skills. It's something that could seem really self-congratulatory if Hideo Kojima wasn't a genius (and I really do think he's a genius) when it comes to understanding the evolving landscape of game design over the last 28 years. For almost three decades he's been making games that are not only well-made, but resonate and mean something to a large number of people. 

A little over half-way through, the video takes a much more personal turn and hits an area that I think a lot of people who are involved with Extra Life really care about. Kojima visits the family of a boy named Sean who passed away from cancer last February. It will probably make you tear up a little. It gives you a glimpse at what Metal Gear means to the people who play it and what drives a person like Kojima. 

The entire video is something that could feel trite or forced or corporate, but I think that it works entirely because Hideo Kojima is genuine. He's incredibly talented and sincerely wants to thank the people who play his work. That means a lot to him and I think he means a lot to us.

So, thank you, Hideo Kojima. I look forward to whatever you do next. 

TiredSecondaryIceblueredtopzebra.gif

View full article

• Like 1

I've never played a single Metal Gear game.  I tried playing MGS1 during our last marathon....it didn't age well in my opinion.  Regardless, I snagged Ground Zeroes on PS+.  I'm a big stealth fan, so I'll get through that, then move on to 5. 

I've never played a single Metal Gear game.  I tried playing MGS1 during our last marathon....it didn't age well in my opinion.  Regardless, I snagged Ground Zeroes on PS+.  I'm a big stealth fan, so I'll get through that, then move on to 5. 

I think you'll find it to be lightyears different than MGS1. The controls are a lot better, the gameplay is smoother and more forgiving. Play the ever living crap out of GZ and upload your save, then if you pick up MGSV you'll get a bunch of bonus items that help even more ;-)