Has anyone started using OBS Multiplatform? - Live Streaming Tips & Tricks - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
djotaku

Has anyone started using OBS Multiplatform?

Just curious if anyone has started using OBS Multiplatform and if they had any tips/tricks/pitfalls? I've successfully used it to stream from Linux:

The audio isn't perfect, but I'm not sure if that's because OBS MP (at least on Linux) does not detect games (like XSplit on Windows) so I was doing a Window capture which might be more intensive.

I've used the Multiplatform with Windows. The only problems I have run into is due to my hardware limitation but not OBS MP. So far it seems to work! Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've used the Multiplatform with Windows. The only problems I have run into is due to my hardware limitation but not OBS MP. So far it seems to work! Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Does Windows OBS MP have a game capture? Or is that not yet implemented? (Like I said, for Linux you have to do Window or Screen capture)

The windows has a game capture. At least so far it's been able to recognize all the games I have played. Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The windows has a game capture. At least so far it's been able to recognize all the games I have played. Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ah, I figured. Probably easier to do on Windows via DirectX. Hopefully the devs can implement something like that with OpenGL on Linux and Mac.

I've been usin OBS MP on Win7 x64 for about a month and I'm pretty happy with it. Things I miss:

• Copy/Paste Scenes
  • Hotkey Scenes
  • Plug-ins (ie Lacking them cause no one is making many yet)

I've also experienced it randomly start streaming if you leave it open for a long period. All-in-all it has the essentials.

I've been usin OBS MP on Win7 x64 for about a month and I'm pretty happy with it. Things I miss:

• Copy/Paste Scenes
  • Hotkey Scenes
  • Plug-ins (ie Lacking them cause no one is making many yet)

I've also experienced it randomly start streaming if you leave it open for a long period. All-in-all it has the essentials.

thanks for the info!

I used it on my laptop for some tabletop games with my friends. It's less clunky than the normal version but I think the main thing that's gonna be missing is plugins, especially the big ones like CLR browser.

I dislike how you can edit the scene at anytime, whereas in the normal ver. you can lock it all down. Right now I don't think it makes sense to use Multiplatform.

I used it on my laptop for some tabletop games with my friends. It's less clunky than the normal version but I think the main thing that's gonna be missing is plugins, especially the big ones like CLR browser.

I dislike how you can edit the scene at anytime, whereas in the normal ver. you can lock it all down. Right now I don't think it makes sense to use Multiplatform.

What's the CLR browser?

So I set it up on my main Linux computer and was able to set up a bunch of scenes. What I was missing (if it was in old OBS - they recently added it to XSplit) was a plugin for Twitch chat. My video from the webcam is slightly out of sync with the audio - hard to tell, depending on how closely my lips match the idea shape for the sound (when it first pops up, I'd forgotten to unmute my mic). I'm mostly pretty happy with it vs XSplit. A few little rough edges to fix and I think they'll be at parity.

There is a browser plugin for OBS MP. I'm not sure how different it is compared to the old OBS since I hardly used it, but it works pretty well from what I've tried:

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/browser-plugin.115/

I've been using OBS MP a lot lately. It seems to encode video a lot better on my system. I get a much clearer picture especially when there's lot of movement when compared to XSplit.

The lack of plugins is a pain, but it's worth it for the better video quality.

Quick Correction on my previous comment on lack of ability to Hotkey Scenes. I found that set them under Settings -> Hotkeys -> 'Switch to scene' per each scene. Hopefully it will get added to the right-click menu on the main interface like in OG-OBS.

On a side note, you can hotkey show/hide any sources per scene too.

Recently made the switch to OBS Multiplatform and OH MY GOD what an improvement! I stream from a laptop so my quality options are limited at best. Keeping the same settings I used in 'old' OBS there was a noticeable improvement all around. One thing I did bump up a bit was the Downscale Filter. With 'old' OBS I had best results with "Bilinear" but with MP I was able to bump it up to Lanczos (32 samples)...also bumped up the bitrate just a smidge and POOF...a much sexier cast ;)

That being said...there is still a lot "missing" from MP. Ok, not really missing but not in nearly as convenient a place to find. And then some stuff is missing...

My recommendation... Know what you are doing? Get MP! Don't know what you are doing but plan on having a simple straight forward cast? Get MP! Don't know what you are doing yet and want to edit specific things? Stick with 'old' OBS.

Just my 2 pennies...

I've been using it lately for PS3 streaming, and love how flexible it is compared to the old version.

There are still 2 features from the original remaining before I can really start using it for PC streaming:

- Built-in support for NVENC through FFmpeg (currently NVENC only under Win10)

- Hotkey for selecting game capture window

The former looks like it will be released at the end of January, according to their roadmap page. The latter I can work around, at least in the short term.

I've been using it for a few months now and I do really like it a LOT. So far it's only lost my video ONCE where something about it glitched out and it couldn't close the file handle on the video file write. Other crashes (of which there have been very few) have at least left me with a file. But this time it couldn't close the file write - which, of course, crashed Windows and wouldn't let it reboot without a hard reset.

Other than that, thanks to Eric Murphy's info, I've been able to set up browser plugins to have Twitch and Youtube Gaming chat incorporated into the stream: