Jillian Ryan

Favorite Old School RPG??

Hey guys!

I was wondering what some of your favorite old school rpgs are???

Lets say anything ps1 and older!

Mine are: Chrono trigger, lunar silver star story complete, legend of dragoon, shining force and a few others!!!

Chrono Trigger was my first. So it'll always be special to me - plus I love time travel stories.

Final Fantasy 6 (JP) (3 in the US) will always be the best FF to me.

• Like 1

I feel like such a terrible nerd for never being able to get into ff3!!!

I need to try again.

It's OK. I was also in middle school when I discovered it (a few years after it'd come out in the US). I don't know if I'd have enjoyed it as much if I'd been older and more cynical or younger and unable to understand the themes.

Lunar, Brave Fencer Musashi, FF, Saga Frontier. Every time this topic is brought up I want to dig out the consoles and play these!

... Nostalgia. 

Lunar, Brave Fencer Musashi, FF, Saga Frontier. Every time this topic is brought up I want to dig out the consoles and play these!

... Nostalgia. 

omg i love the art in brave fencer musashi!!!!!

First game that comes to my mind is Link to the Past.  One of my favorites of all time.  And right beside that one....Mario RPG.  :)

Dragon Warrior / Final Fantasy for NES. <3 :D Later came a Dungeons & Dragons game for the Sega Genesis that took MANY hours of my life but I can never remember the title. Something Eternal Sun or something like that :P Then there is of course the reason I strayed from Nintendo to begin with...Final Fantasy 7 on the PSX. Got far enough that when my memory card blanked out due to the save glitch that I never went back (though going to try again soon on PC). Still owning the PSX I later picked up and fell in love with the Legend of Legaia.

...and then I got a PC that could play games and I've been PC Master Racecar since! ;)

Arise, thread!

On 8/29/2015 at 8:41 PM, LuckyCharms145 said:

First thing that came to mind was Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. I have all the songs on my phone for when I am driving.

I never got to play that game, but was always curious about it. Seemed interesting, but it doesn't even seem to have made enough of a splash to have become a cult classic. Anyone know if it ever got a port to anything? I imagine it would be expensive to try and purchase second-hand these days.

As for my favorites, I'd have to say Final Fantasy IV (II on U.S. SNES) and Final Fantasy Tactics are the games that had the strongest impact on me. FFIV is what taught me at age 7 that games could be more than "just games", and Final Fantasy Tactics had a storyline that felt as if it were pulled right out of a classic fantasy novel. Not to mention such rock solid game design.

Otherwise, there are always the standard classics. Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Secret of Mana/Evermore, Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI and VII, Xenogears, and Breath of Fire III probably got the most rotation in my SNES slot or Playstation disc drive (literally the most rotation, in the latter case!). There were plenty of others I played, but they just didn't make as much of an impact.

The only Old School-ish RPG I really ever played was maybe Chrono Cross, after that I didn't play one until Kingdom Hearts.

On 8/25/2015 at 12:01 PM, Jillian Ryan said:

I feel like such a terrible nerd for never being able to get into ff3!!!

I need to try again.

In hindsight I wished I hadn't quit FF3 when I started it when it was new.  Somehow I'd gotten all the way through I and II U.S. and didn't realize until III that the overarching storylines were not directly connected one after the other.  So I kind of soft rage quit if you will.  ;0 ;~)

o/  ;)