KnightHarbinger

Use caution with the word "Raffle" in your fundraising efforts!

Hey Guys!

Be careful using the word "raffle" in your verbiage wherever you mention it.  In certain states, like Texas, it has a real gambling invocation to it.  If someone who partook in said raffle had a beef and went to the right people it could be sucksville legally for the group and/or yourself.  The potential underlying infraction involving proper licensing and fees paid to the state etc.   As well as legal currency, USD (United States Dollars), used to acquire the prizes.

This was/is the case for us and thankfully we're advised by our legal teams from the companies we work/worked for.  If yall have already covered this or something than never mind.  My apologies for a potential unnecessary scare/concern.  But if not run it by your sponsoring hospital's PoC (Point of Contact) for that good ole CYA action.

Otherwise call it a contest or a competition to be safe.

o/  ;)

Yes our CMN Rep instructs us to use the verbiage "Give Away"  :)
This typically keeps you out of hot water. 

Yes our CMN Rep instructs us to use the verbiage "Give Away"  :)
This typically keeps you out of hot water. 

I tell my team the same thing. We usually say, "We have lots of goodies to give away. If you'd like to participate for a chance to win please donate to us."

This should be safe for you especially if you are live streaming the give away. As long as you say that it's not a raffle then it'll be fine :D

I tell my team the same thing. We usually say, "We have lots of goodies to give away. If you'd like to participate for a chance to win please donate to us."

This should be safe for you especially if you are live streaming the give away. As long as you say that it's not a raffle then it'll be fine :D

This is great wording!

• Like 1

Be very careful with the word competition as well. If you claim the winner is decided based on competition it has to be a very clear set of rules and exactly how one is deemed the winner must be spelled out.

The laws around all of these things vary from state to state and between the US and Canada, sometimes in very significant ways. What's legal in Texas might not be legal in Rhode Island. This is why we try to caution people when raising funds that it is better to err on the side of caution and not put yourself, and possibly your hospital, in an awkward legal position by going overboard on giveaways.

Was providing some fundraising guidance to a fellow extra life teammate and thought I'd give this thread a bump for the "2018 Folks".

o/ ;)

Sent from my Blackphone 2 using Tapatalk