Hearthstone Players - PC Gaming - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HYDFDEMON

Hearthstone Players

Hello all!

Just curious if anyone plays hearthstone? I've been getting into it quite a bit (as it scratches that old MTG itch) and streaming, but get virtually no viewers and still haven't got a single donation yet.

Just looking to see any tips for getting involvement on the channel and help drive donations?

Thanks!

I play hearthstone as well (usually if i have long que's in Moba's and such i will play it in-between). The thing with Hearthstone is that there is a niche group of players who will watch it, and most of the time the people who are watching Hearthstone streams, are watching pros (Aman, Trump, Reynad, and C9's girl)

The one thing I learned about streaming and if you want to get viewers is that Hearthstone is one of the hardest games to get viewers with while streaming. Unless you are very popular and had a following before you started streaming Hearthstone you won't see the viewership you want. I've experienced it, I've had fellow streamers experience it where they would have 100+ people watching their stream, and when they play hearthstone the viewership drops drastically (20-35 people). Hearthstone is just the type of stream that doesn't really engage the viewer, there really isn't that engaging factor to get people to watch. Let along get donations from.

Advice to you, maybe find a game you know will bring a lot of viewers to your stream (new games can do that, indie games, etc.) Or just become so good at Hearthstone (Legend tier, rank 3 to rank 1) and join tourneys and stream during the tournament your matches. The more you put yourself out there, the more people will watch and than possibly donate.

I play hearthstone as well (usually if i have long que's in Moba's and such i will play it in-between). The thing with Hearthstone is that there is a niche group of players who will watch it, and most of the time the people who are watching Hearthstone streams, are watching pros (Aman, Trump, Reynad, and C9's girl)

The one thing I learned about streaming and if you want to get viewers is that Hearthstone is one of the hardest games to get viewers with while streaming. Unless you are very popular and had a following before you started streaming Hearthstone you won't see the viewership you want. I've experienced it, I've had fellow streamers experience it where they would have 100+ people watching their stream, and when they play hearthstone the viewership drops drastically (20-35 people). Hearthstone is just the type of stream that doesn't really engage the viewer, there really isn't that engaging factor to get people to watch. Let along get donations from.

Advice to you, maybe find a game you know will bring a lot of viewers to your stream (new games can do that, indie games, etc.) Or just become so good at Hearthstone (Legend tier, rank 3 to rank 1) and join tourneys and stream during the tournament your matches. The more you put yourself out there, the more people will watch and than possibly donate.

The niche market of this game totally went over my head. I'll take this suggestion and run with it. Thank you!

The niche market of this game totally went over my head. I'll take this suggestion and run with it. Thank you!

Not really niche market (because i play it, market would refer to people that play it.) Niche Viewership is more of what your looking for, but yeah good luck with it. :D I got lucky to have 70 followers because a stream I subscribe to actually hosted me a few times when i was streaming so I got an influx of viewership and followers.

I play Hearthstone. While I can't help you with getting followers/viewers (I have the same problem), we can friend up if you want.

Anyone else who plays this, do you have any tips or strategies? I've tried watching the pros play to learn better how to play but it's hard unless you find one of the streams that is explaining their moves. I found one but the guy was away and I didn't feel like waiting for him to get back lol. I'm not the worst player, but I'm not great, either. I think I kinda just play and don't have much of a strategy.

Honestly to be good at Hearthstone is just to play the Meta that everyone is playing and hope to god your card draws/RNG are better than your opponents. Or find a deck that completely counters the current meta and the current counters to meta and just run with that and completely own people.

I think my biggest problem is that I'm not good at making decks. Although lately I've made a few that I've been doing pretty well with. I don't really know what the meta is.

I think my biggest problem is that I'm not good at making decks. Although lately I've made a few that I've been doing pretty well with. I don't really know what the meta is.

Current Meta is what you see a lot of pros playing (zoo lock, warrior, hunter, miracle rogue)

I actually really like my mage deck, though I've been doing pretty good with my new hunter deck, too. Like I said, I'm not great at making decks so I tend to make them, get killed, delete them and try again haha. So if I make a deck and find I'm winning a good amount, I consider that a good deck =p

I actually really like my mage deck, though I've been doing pretty good with my new hunter deck, too. Like I said, I'm not great at making decks so I tend to make them, get killed, delete them and try again haha. So if I make a deck and find I'm winning a good amount, I consider that a good deck =p

What got me into Hearthstone is that I used to play MTG competitively and got pretty good at it (Pro level) so I was trying to get into this.

As stated above, you have to understand the meta to know how to build your decks to it. I use hearthstats.com the see what has high winning percentages and build decks to try and beat those and test in casual; in running the legend ladder, I do Zoo and Hunter Aggro since these are the cheapest to build.

Currently I am rank 14 on the ladder, but as I climb, simply not having the "expensive" cards causes losses as my opponent will typically outperform my draws mid to late game. Regardless, the key here is understanding the meta and what your high performing deck can and ultimately WILL play as the mana count goes up (For hunter decks, this could be turn 5 buzzard/hyena into release the hounds for draw and/or early game creature advantage). Realistically, as with any other game, card advantage wins games.

The best piece of advice I have ever been given back when I played MTG was understanding what your life total really meant. A great player once told me that "In the game, you have 1 life point that matters, the extra 19 (or in Hearthstone's case 29) points of life should be used and sacrificed to win and ultimately mean nothing than being an extra source of potential advantage over your opponent."

Hopefully the meta will shift once the new expansion is out, but right now due to the limited card base, the meta is pretty locked in stone; we definitely need cards to help evolve the meta in a positive way.

Edited by HYDFDEMON

I'm a frequent Hearthstone player (silverspud#1446), but not so much on stream. Back when I first set up my twitch channel, I ran popular games like LoL and Hearthstone and found very few viewers. Eventually, I switched over to more niche games that you wouldn't find on the front page and gathered a following that would consistently tune in to watch even when I switched games every night. From there, it led to a variety channel being established that would occasionally delve into Hearthstone matches on a very infrequent basis. The bump I received from my established viewer base pushed me to the midrange of the other Hearthstone streamers and helped gather steam in that pool of viewers as well. Unfortunately, the best way to gather a following is to already have one in most cases.

As far as the game itself, Rogue and Hunter are going to take a serious hit in the next week with the Leeroy and Buzzard nerfs going into effect. It appears that Handlock is going to be making a comeback with the Miracle decks being annihilated. For cheap decks, Zoolock is the go-to strategy since midrange/trap Hunter is being taken down several pegs. The meta is about to make a major shift and it's important to have 3 decks on hand if you wish to climb to legendary. You need the popular deck that everyone else seems to concentrate on, the counter to the most popular deck in the meta, and the counter to that counter deck. Then just pray you guessed right in this rock-paper-scissors deck selection and hit legendary eventually.

Fellow Hearthstone player here, who hasn't actually played in about a month. When I do play, I like to watch both Reynad's and Twizz's streams for deck building and meta gameplay tips. Hearthstone is one of the games I keep meaning to get back to soon.

I just started playing about 4 nights ago. I was looking for something to scratch that MTG itch as well. I tried the "trial" pre-made deck on MTG: Online and had fun for a few days. Then I heard Hearthstone wasd F2P and thought Id check it out.

So far Im enjoying the Rouge. I have enough cheap counter spell and bounce cards to kill time for bigger cards to come out. It works a good bit of the time but if I run into someone with a monster heavy deck then I usualy win by the skin of my teeth or get obliterated. If I keep playing then Ill look in the meta as suggested in previous posts. For now Im having fun with the game as is.

Add me if you'd like - Killektiv

Glad to see so many people playing Heathstone in this thread. I still am doing the ladder climb myself (rank 11 as of this post).

Feel free to add me as well if you want. My tag is HYDFDEMON #1264