Sign in to follow this  
Cassadilla

Questions about fundraising at a con

Alright so I purchased a table at a con later this summer and I am planning to sell items and donate the money to my fundraiser. I'm making video game themed items for this purpose, as are some of my friends.

I've been told that you need to be careful about naming specific charities, but I don't know how true that is... I would like to be able to let people know about my marathons (I am going to do two of them this year.. if not more) but I don't know how to do that without mentioning Extra Life.

Do I really need to avoid mentioning Extra Life? I'd like to also have a jar or something out where people can just donate money even if they don't buy things, and just saying the money goes to Boston Childrens Hospital is not as good as saying "check our progress on this website!", you know? and I want to hand out mini flyers that will take people to my fundraising page and my twitch stream but can't do this without saying Extra Life.

I'd prefer to proudly display the logo and let people know about this organization, but I don't want anyone to get in trouble... does anyone know the protocol for this?

any insight would be great!

ALSO, I believe the Boston Guild will be set up at the con, so I will for sure be sending folks over to them so they can sign up too!

Thanks!!

I know some cons have issues with selling items unless you purchased an artist booth (assuming your table is classified differently), so I think your first step would be to check the con rules.

As far as not being able to mention their name... I've also never heard of that before, but the EL team will probably have a better answer for you.

Edited by stephybot

Don't "sell" them. Give them to people as a thank you for their donation.

If they'd like to donate $5, give them X as a way of saying "thanks."

If they'd like to donate $10, give them Y. And so on.

Don't "sell" them. Give them to people as a thank you for their donation.

If they'd like to donate $5, give them X as a way of saying "thanks."

If they'd like to donate $10, give them Y. And so on.

good plan, terminology like that definitely makes a difference!

Something else to consider. The average amount raised per signup is $100. So for every 10 people you sign up, you're effectively raising $1000. Far more worthwhile to try and get people to sign up than skirt the rules and technicalities of selling/donations/whatever at a con. Create a team and invite people to join it when they sign up, that way you can see for yourself how much of an impact it's having!

Something else to consider. The average amount raised per signup is $100. So for every 10 people you sign up, you're effectively raising $1000. Far more worthwhile to try and get people to sign up than skirt the rules and technicalities of selling/donations/whatever at a con. Create a team and invite people to join it when they sign up, that way you can see for yourself how much of an impact it's having!

the boston guild will already be there doing sign ups!:D i have my own booth with my cosplay crew, i dont have the ability to do signups anyway, so i will point them to the official booth.

we were going to be selling handmade things on our own but decided to donate the money we raised instead of keeping it. not trying to skirt any rules, just trying to figure out what the protocol is.

worst case scenario, we sell items and hand out cards with our facebook page... then spam our page with extra life stuff and donate all the money we made at the con!

Edited by Cassadilla
extra info added

hey Cass,

As others pointed out the con may have some issues, but it's probably not major. Depending on what you're making the license holders may have issues as well. As far as we're concerned, as long as you aren't selling items with our logos or brands or trademarks (names, the winged controller, etc), you're fine. Putting any of our marks on an item brings up the same licensing issues that most organization and companies have. Even if the 'sale' is a donation to charity.

Hey CassadillaYour con may have already happened, but something that worked well for fundraising at a con for us was a penny war! We had three jars, one for Xbox, one for PS, and one for PC and people could "vote" for their favorite by depositing money.  Change was a vote in favor of a system and CASH was a vote AGAINST a system.  More people pulled out dollars than deposited change and we raised almost $300 that way.  Of course, some of those people also registered for Extra Life, but it was a fun, interactive way to get donations without asking for donations.  We also had a raffle for KC Royals tickets, but that kind of fell flat.  At our next big convention I want to get a game or something to raffle off and perhaps that will go better. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Hey CassadillaYour con may have already happened, but something that worked well for fundraising at a con for us was a penny war! We had three jars, one for Xbox, one for PS, and one for PC and people could "vote" for their favorite by depositing money.  Change was a vote in favor of a system and CASH was a vote AGAINST a system.  More people pulled out dollars than deposited change and we raised almost $300 that way.  Of course, some of those people also registered for Extra Life, but it was a fun, interactive way to get donations without asking for donations.  We also had a raffle for KC Royals tickets, but that kind of fell flat.  At our next big convention I want to get a game or something to raffle off and perhaps that will go better. Hope this helps!

Oh, I like this idea a lot.

what we ended up doing was this: i made a ton of cute video game themed art and other geeky stuff, 8-bit heart cookies, home made eridium bar hard candies, my parents made 'barf bones' (from spaceballs) and my friend brought cake pops. we also had a clear box with a 8-bit heart on it that people could donate if they didnt want to buy anything. we did not sell anything with the logo or anything like that- we made it clear that all the money we make would be donated after the con and told them where they could seee how much we made

I had a flyer explaining what we were doing, with a link to my fundraising page- and everyone who donated or purchased got one- as well as anyone who was curious. all proceeds were donated- we had to pay the woman who made the cake pops but even with that we made $182.36! pretty good for a single-day first-year con with only about 250 attendees.

in addition to chatting with folks about my own marathon, I sent a bunch over to the Extra Life booth in the next aisle. it was a good set up- folks who want to participate can, and folks who just want to donate have that option too. i hope to do this same kind of thing a couple times a year, we'll see how that turns out

• Like 1