SteveMathis

Introductions

Welcome @Kamuibell, sorry to hear about your loss. 

Check out the post for South Jersey Geek Fest, we are looking for volunteers for the booth. 

Hello Everyone,

My name is Caitlyn. I live in the Philadelphia area and am trying to write an article about Extra Life for my school's newspaper, The Loquitur from Cabrini University. I've been able to talk to quite a few who are involved with Extra Life from the program coordinator at CHOP to technicians who work directly at Extra Life. While I already have great information, I would love to make the article more personal. I would love to hear from you on why you are participating in Extra Life; what does it mean to you? 

My goal is to help and grow with Philadelphia recruitment. By sharing your story, you have the opportunity to grow recruitment as well. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Feel free to email me directly.

-Caitlyn

caitlyn.huebner0820@gmail.com

Hey all,

My online name is zopney. I am a student over at Drexel and I've been part of the Extra Life charity event in the past, the first was in support of Cook's Children's Hospital in Dallas, TX. I am a part-time streamer with a focus on Warframe with a separate variety day. Since I started streaming back in 2014, I refused to take personal donations and I needed a different way that was worthwhile. That's how I fell upon Extra Life and I haven't stopped since.

I don't think there's much else to me, but I'm happy that there are more like-minded individuals in the area. Thanks for all you do!

zopney

• Like 1

Welcome @zopney - if you are available, come on out to the Guild Kickoff meeting on Saturday (2/18). We are going to be brainstorming events to attend, way to get more signups, etc. 

Question but is there like a facebook page that we can comment on? For example, it takes me time to log in to extra life (as bad as that sounds) while juggling school and two jobs.  Facebook does offer me being in touch quicker and able to plan to attend events if things are posted timely.  It's tough scheduling cons with two jobs *sad face*

• Like 1

Hello All!

My name is Chris and my tag is ClemClementine.  I used to travel around for competitive video game tournaments such as Super Smash Brothers Melee and Street Fighter.  I am now an avid gamer which focuses on competitive games such as League of Legends, CS: GO, Hearthstone, Overwatch, HOTS and DOTA.  I brew beer occasionally and love to attend anime, gaming, comic conventions.

My job is working as an IT person for an organization named Softerware.  We create software that we sell to non-profits and assist them with their reporting, tax, overall fundraising needs.  Over my 7 years of working here, I have compiled a passion for assisting people raise money and awareness for their causes.

I got into ExtraLife about 3 years ago and I think it's a great way to show how gamers can do a world of good, especially for Children who really need it.  I do not have any experiencing with CHOP, but my friends and family talk very highly of it and I am always down to support my local hospital.  

My overall goal is to try and put what I have learned in the past 7 years to good use.  Thanks for having me!

• Like 2

Whoa, just realized I never posted an introduction about myself...

Hi all!

My name is Dan and this will be my 7th year participating in Extra Life! I have been playing video games ever since I learned how to pick up a controller, so seven years ago when my friend said "Want to play games...FOR CHARITY?!", I simply couldn't say no. We began as a small group of friends who were honestly in it just for an excuse to play games for 24 hours, but over the years it became so much more than that. Over the past seven years, my team, Yeagerbombs (Formerly the Silver Snakes), has raised over $40,000 for CHoP, and we have no intention of slowing down!

Last year, at the Extra Life United tournament at Disney World, I wound up coming in third overall, bringing home a total of $17,650. I would attest that this event (and this absurd amount of money raised) really pushed me to get much more involved with the organization and the Guild itself, whether it be attending events, conventions, or meetings. Since then, I've been introducing some of my teammates and various gaming venues to bring about their involvement with the Guild as well.

I also came into 2017 with a renewed focus following the passing of my good friend and Extra Life teammate. In his two years of participating in Extra Life, he had raised over $9000 and was very passionate about the cause. Similar to the hospitalized kids, he was also very sick, and there were times where the only thing he could muster the strength to do was play video games. He used video games as his outlet to help other people in the same situation he found himself in. So to continue his legacy, I am ultimately dedicated to the Extra Life cause now, more than ever.

If you're looking to play games with me, you can find me on PS4 at indomitable_dp. If you're looking to watch me play games, you can follow me at www.twitch.tv/indomitable_dp.

I'm hoping to meet all of you wonderful people in person someday!

Dan

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 10:41 AM, ClemClementine said:

Hello All!

My name is Chris and my tag is ClemClementine.  I used to travel around for competitive video game tournaments such as Super Smash Brothers Melee and Street Fighter.  I am now an avid gamer which focuses on competitive games such as League of Legends, CS: GO, Hearthstone, Overwatch, HOTS and DOTA.  I brew beer occasionally and love to attend anime, gaming, comic conventions.

My job is working as an IT person for an organization named Softerware.  We create software that we sell to non-profits and assist them with their reporting, tax, overall fundraising needs.  Over my 7 years of working here, I have compiled a passion for assisting people raise money and awareness for their causes.

I got into ExtraLife about 3 years ago and I think it's a great way to show how gamers can do a world of good, especially for Children who really need it.  I do not have any experiencing with CHOP, but my friends and family talk very highly of it and I am always down to support my local hospital.  

My overall goal is to try and put what I have learned in the past 7 years to good use.  Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the community hub, Chris ( @ClemClementine)! Saw your note about traveling for competitive gaming tournaments.... are you going to be at Extra Life United in March?

On 10/22/2016 at 8:50 PM, caity_lynn2 said:

Hello Everyone,

My name is Caitlyn. I live in the Philadelphia area and am trying to write an article about Extra Life for my school's newspaper, The Loquitur from Cabrini University. I've been able to talk to quite a few who are involved with Extra Life from the program coordinator at CHOP to technicians who work directly at Extra Life. While I already have great information, I would love to make the article more personal. I would love to hear from you on why you are participating in Extra Life; what does it mean to you? 

My goal is to help and grow with Philadelphia recruitment. By sharing your story, you have the opportunity to grow recruitment as well. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Feel free to email me directly.

-Caitlyn

caitlyn.huebner0820@gmail.com

@Tiny415, @brittbraylorand @ccesarano!

• Like 1

@LeaveIt2Beaver It's so funny I actually just heard about it last weekend and it would have been a perfect event for my girlfriend and I to attend!  Unfortunately I'll be unable to go since it's short notice but I'll be rooting my new Philadelphia comrades on!!  

I will be attempting to go to the RGB Lan in order to get my gaming fix though hahaha.

• Like 2

Hey,

My name is Beth.  My tags vary per game. Twitch: Belladonna859 (which I have been trying to use more frequently). Steam: dizzylizzyln13 and Belladonna. BattleNet and PlayStation: LadyBethBeth.

This is my 4th year of Extra Life. I'm a casual gamer trying to get more into the competitive scene.  Right now I am more into Overwatch but I used to play Dota 2. I used to be an avid RGP player (largely Baulder's Gate, Fallout, and Elder Scroll type games).  I eventually found my way venturing into Indie games like Darkest Dungeon and Obduction ( from the brilliant minds behind Myst).

I also play a decent amount of board and card games.  I was into the MTG Modern scene for a bit.  I have participated in small board game tournaments and started amassing a small collection from Love Letter to Eldritch Horror.  I have watched a large portion of Table Top (mostly because of Wil Wheaton).  As with video games I have also started to collect board games that I have not seen largely advertised such as The Grizzled and Looting Atlantis.

I frequent conventions on the East coast and cosplay characters from a few genres.

I'm excited to be a bigger part of Extra life and to try to bring the experience to others.

Hey, everyone.

I'm another Chris, though because of the high local maximum of people with that name in this guild, I've chosen to go by PJs. I’m in the very center of downtown Philadelphia (five minutes’ walk from City Hall) and work from home doing computer stuff.

This is my first year streaming for Extra Life, but not my first year participating. I learned about all of this from the Obsidian Plays Twitch stream, and decided to get into it myself as a way to give back. I'm also pretty familiar with using games to raise money for charities; I've been watching the Games Done Quick events for a few years now and have donated both to them and to other, similar events. I’ve already completed one set of streams for Extra Life this year (eight hours of Chrono Trigger per day for five consecutive days) and am looking forward to doing more.

I focus on indie / non-“AAA” PC games and retro (8- and 16-bit) console games, though I’m looking forward to getting a capture card so I can do a deep literary analysis on Journey. Right now I’m playing CivVI and looking to add something silly and less serious for some other day of the week (Thursday and Friday are good candidates). I’m also very interested in trying to set something up for streaming couch multiplayer PC / console games with other folks in the guild. I’ve got some ideas (Duck Game, Smash, maybe an SFIV/SFV tournament for people who are bad at fighting games like I am) and would love to hear from folks about what they’d be interested in.

I am ObsidianWarPJs pretty much everywhere game-related: Extra Life, obviously, but also Twitch and Twitter and Steam and Discord (Obsidian War PJs #7209). I’m always eager to help set up / join any events that are on so long as being bad at games is not a problem, so please let me know how I can help. It’s a pleasure to meet everyone, and I look forward to making the world a better place with all of you.

<3

• Like 1

I never done posted here!

Hey, everyone! I'm Travis. I'm, at this point, a 5 year strong Extra Lifer. Granted, I've only succeeded my first year in going the full 24 (25) hours, but I'm determined this time to make it!

A little about myself.. I'm 35, a husband to a beautiful wife and father to 2 wonderful little girls (6 and 3). I'm a 2005 graduate of Full Sail with a Bachelors in Game Design & Development. I'm a lifelong gamer, having started with an Atari 2600 back in '85, when I was just a wee lad. These days, I'm heavily into RPGs and retro games, with a high focus on Playstation 2. I currently have ~550 physical console games in my collection, 213 of them being for PS2. My gaming bucket list is to complete every US released PS2 game, which will probably take me right up to that bucket. I'm currently on game 11, so, yeah, I'll be old. I stream it all, as well, over on Twitch. I just don't stream the RPG grinding that I have to do sometimes, 'cause I don't think many people care to watch someone run around in circles fighting the same mobs over and over again ;)

What am I where? @TXPSodabread on Twitter, TXPSodabread on Twitch, TXPSodabread on Steam, SodaXBread on PS4. Curse you, Sony! Sodabread on Extra Life and finally, Sodabread#6158 on Discord. I'm something on Blizzard, but you'll rarely catch me playing Blizz games right now.

I'm a, let's say 'auxiliary' member of the Philly guild. Since having two young kids, it's tough for me to get away on weekends most of the time to make it to meetings and cons, but I try to do my best at spreading the word locally (Easton/Lehigh Valley area).

I think that about covers it. Hopefully I'll keep up with the message boards around here and have some discussion with everyone!

• Thanks 1

Hello, everyone!

I'm Marci, but I usually go by Steam. This will be my first 24 hour Extra Life marathon, and I'm very excited to run!

I'm 29, going on 30 in January. I'm trans/non-binary, so please use gender neutral pronouns ("they") when referring to me. I love gaming, reading, writing, role-playing, and a lot of other geeky stuff.

While I'm not a professional player by any means, I do enjoy playing MOBAs like Heroes of the Storm and MMOs like Star Wars: The Old Republic. My love for gaming goes back a long ways, all the way back to when my dad would let me play Dynamix's Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific games on his computer (which was still running Windows 3.1 back when '95 came out). I've since graduated to newer games, and will play the crap out of something if it's interesting to me.

My steam is cy0nk, I'm cy0nknight on Twitch, and SteamDragoness#8998 on Discord.

I'm looking forward to gaming with ya'all!

• Thanks 1

Greetings Programs.

I have been a gamer since the 60's and still have every system I ever owned. Been supporting Children's Miracle Network for a long time and even more so since my daughter spent 6 month's at CHOP in 2009. I guess I'm a little isolated in my age group who don't play games (except me) because I had not heard about extra life until recently when there was a #charity event on twitch and I bought bits just for that. Wasn't much of a twitch person until I started playing Rocket League a few months ago and went looking for other players. Conversations with some of them convinced me I should do some more streaming and join up with extra life.

My twitch, twitter, steam, and xbox id are all vulcanjedi just like my gmail :) And for my technically challenged family I set up redirects at extralife.vulcanjedi.com and streaming.vulcanjedi.com to get to my extra life and twitch pages.

And as usual am late to the party. Just found this group.

Saturday is almost here.   Later

Mark

eol

• Thanks 1

hi all! perhaps it's a bit early in the year for introductions, but the lovely guys at the Extra Life booth at Too Many Games hooked me as I passed by last weekend, and i'm very glad they did! i've been wanting to participate in Extra Life for years, so no time like the present!

my name is sarah (she/her). i'm a 31 year old transplant to Delco, originally from WV, and have played games since i could hold an Atari joystick. i am looking forward to getting as involved with Extra Life as I can and meeting some great folks, so let me know if there's anything i can do to help - special areas of expertise include writing, editing, and document layout/design, but i also make an excellent warm body at events! :)

wonderful to meet y'all!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ironsea said:

my name is sarah (she/her). i'm a 31 year old transplant to Delco, originally from WV, and have played games since i could hold an Atari joystick.

Hello

As a retro game hoarder I currently have about 4 more Atari 2600's that I could possibly ever use including a mint condition 2600 JR that stopped working last year.

And I have extra PC hardware that can capture old RF only systems for streamers who really want to go old school :)

Welcome to the party.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I've been video gaming for over nearly thirty years, collecting games and systems long the way: everything from classics like 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, to more obscure systems like Virtual Boy, Pong clones, and the Astrocade. I've also been recently getting into tabletop gaming. While I've known about Extra Life for a few years now, this is the first time I'm trying to get involved.

I'm also looking for some advice on running a large-scale event. I work at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia (you may know us from the Mütter Museum), and I am exploring the possibility of hosting an EL event at the College. We have tons of event space and I am eager to fill those spaces with games, all the better if it is for a good cause. I just wanted to get some advice/tips about hosting an event. I'm sure many people do them on their own or with groups of friends but have any of you host any kind of large-scale event?

I'm excited to be a part of the cause. Even if I don't host something for work, I'd like to do something on my own.

• Like 3

Greetings, Philly gamers.

Who am I?  I am a dad of two amazing kids who has employed the services of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (and will likely do so again at some point).  I have friends and extended family who have also depended on the services CHOP provides.  As such, I have a growing number of reasons to want to support a hospital that does so much for the kiddos.  But what to do? . . . 

I discovered Extra Life during the 2017 Greater Philadelphia Comic Con.  I stumbled upon the Extra Life table while wandering the expo floor.  I was puzzled at first, wondering why anyone would pay someone to play games.  Once I got past the newness of the idea and convinced myself that it was no different than getting paid to run/bike/swim for a cause, I decided that to find a way to participate in an Extra Life event.  I wasn't sure where to look for support. 

In April 2017, I posted to a Facebook gaming group, the Invictus Stream, of my interest in Extra Life.  Harlan Guthrie, one of the group's founders, took up my suggestion with extreme gusto with only the gentlest of nudges.  The Invictus Stream raised over $5000 for various Children's Miracle Network hospitals in 2017.  My first Extra Life was a super special day, and I knew that I wanted to participate again.

Which brings me to 2018 and beyond . . .

@Kevin Doctimus I am keeping my Extra Life 2018 small, but I am totally down with helping to organize a small to mid to large scale event for 2019.  

Cheers

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

My name is Elijah and I am the Executive Producer of Priority One: A Roddenberry Star Trek Podcast.

We're in the planning stages of our 400th episode celebrations to be held on February 16th. We thought it would be great to do a 12-hour Extra Life Event... and since I live in Princeton, NJ -- we chose The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

I'd love to chat more about promoting our event with someone. We'll be broadcasting on Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, and Periscope. 

Best,
-E