Sign in to follow this  
Pixelhead Jon

Hyperkin Retron 3

http://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Retron-System-GENESIS-Nintendo-Entertainment/dp/B003O3EFY2

A team member brought one of these over for Extra Life about 3 years ago along with a box of games. We spent a great amount of time taking turns playing the greats like Super Mario 3, Battletoads, River City Ransom, Sonic, etc... Now its a must have for our team every year.

If you do decide to pick one up be sure to find the original controllers to the old systems. They work better than the wireless ones provided with the system. In our use we found the wireless controllers to be laggy.

Love machines like this! They have these on display at my local game store and it's awesome. So many cool things have come out of people getting back into retro gaming.

Personal favorite is the portable SNES: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed6b/

If I didnt already have Chrono Trigger on my DS, Id buy one of these just for that game.

Speaking of the Retrons, I'm still waiting for my Retron 5 in the mail. I'm surprised I'm actually getting one now considering how much backlash Hyperkin is getting for their lack of hardware.

Speaking of the Retrons, I'm still waiting for my Retron 5 in the mail. I'm surprised I'm actually getting one now considering how much backlash Hyperkin is getting for their lack of hardware.

You'll be glad you snagged one. it works VERY well.

I've been looking at my options, want lighter load to carry, with my mobile livestreaming rig, so I've been looking at these alternative options.  As far as the Retron 5, what I've discovered is it's basically a Linux box with some emulators on it, I thought about getting one, just because it will be easier than dealing with separate consoles, but some homebrew carts won't run off of it. That's fine if all I want is to play the regular carts, but I will have some homebrew carts in my collection also that I'd like to play, so I'm kind of back to square one. 

What I ended up getting, although it only supports NES games is the RetroUSB AVS It is expensive compared to most of these, but it's not software emulation, it uses FPGA (field programmable gate array) which is far more expensive to use, but it's hardware emulation that can emulate the original hardware more accurately. So it can actually support homebrews and flash carts better than machines like the RetroN5. In fact I believe the Everdrive (which I have) won't work at all with the RetroN3 or the RetroN5.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:55 PM, TheGiant said:

What I ended up getting, although it only supports NES games is the RetroUSB AVS It is expensive compared to most of these, but it's not software emulation, it uses FPGA (field programmable gate array) which is far more expensive to use, but it's hardware emulation that can emulate the original hardware more accurately. So it can actually support homebrews and flash carts better than machines like the RetroN5. In fact I believe the Everdrive (which I have) won't work at all with the RetroN3 or the RetroN5.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-asic-and-fpga/ <- This prompted me to finally get to the bottom of this.

Thank you.

o/  ;)

• Like 1

Any of these aftermarket consoles are ok, even my AVS, but, original hardware is best, if it still works. I have an NES also.

I looked at the other aftermarket consoles and did consider a RetroN5, but I don't like the software emulation, and actually Hyperkin may be voiding the open source licenses of the emulators, but I think they've been trying to make it right by also releasing their source. I could be wrong but that's what I read, not sure.

What's funny is, I think the emulator they are using is RetroArch, or the core of it, libRetro. I mentioned RetroArch in the emulation thread.