Latest Articles - Page 152 - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content

Latest Articles

Sapience
Doc, Rick, Mike and Liz try doing things remotely. We cover a lot of ground in this episode so be sure to check it out!

In this month's podcast
Egad! It's Pinky! Liz has some voice trouble. Mike Talks about our E3 plans. Rick has a close encounter of the Batman Kind. The Animaniacs donate some time For The Kids! (Rob paulsen, Tress McNeille, and Jess Harnell) More info on the coming changes to the Extra Life Community. Update on Extra Life 2015 Stats. Who won (lost?) The Wario Challenge. We might need some help here! Dot Warner (Tress MacNeille) reminds us to Put your money where the miracles are.

Note: Rob, Jess, and Tress were kind enough to record a number drops for us as Yakko, Wakko, Dot, Donatello from TTMNJ, and Pinky. We'll be adding them in from time to time. So keep an ear out!

Download the file here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/extralife4...isode_0005.mp3

Subscribe in iTunes | RSS | Other

Please note the RSS feeds may not update immediately. Please be patient.

Sapience
Doc, Rick, Mike and Liz are joined by Laurie from our Canadian office. We cover a lot of ground in this episode so be sure to check it out!

In this month's podcast
Liz gives an overview of our upcoming Build to a Guild program for Hospitals. Laurie tells us what the heck is up with Canadian receipts. Mike Talks about upcoming website improvements and API update. Jeromy and Rick talk about the upcoming official Guild Logo template. A new community site and hub is coming, Rick gives a peek into what's in store. How many Extra Life registrations will we have in May Challenge. General confusion, mayhem and fun.

*Note: The Stephen King short story mentioned is 1408 not 1301.

Download the file here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/extralife4...isode_0004.mp3

Please note the RSS feeds may not update immediately. Please be patient.

Sapience
This time out, Rick, Mike, Liz and Doc talk about our incredible partner summit, Extra Life T-shirt contest, and who really has the coolest forum name on the team. (Spoiler alert, it's Liz)

This week, we covered:

2015 T-shirt Contest 2015 Partner Summit : What happens when you lock Twitch, Humble Bundle, Rooster Teeth, IDG World Expo and the ESA Foundation in a room? AWESOME happens! We reveal our 2015 Extra Life Fund Raising and Participant Goals. The Team talks about Sophie's Place. Mike Loses at "What are the Chances" and it's Epic!

Download the file here:http://traffic.libsyn.com/extralife4...isode_0003.mp3

Sapience
This week, join Rick, Mike, Liz and Doc for a run down of who went where and did what during our guild launches. We also promise Mike is really not trapped in a 1940s style phone booth, he just sounds that way.

This week, we covered:
2015 Guild Launches : Who went where. Stories from the road.
2015 Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Spring Meetings.
We introduce the community to a Team Extra Life game of risk, and basically no reward; "What are the Chances?"
... and more!
Download the file here:http://traffic.libsyn.com/extralife4...isode_0002.mp3

Sapience
Welcome to the brand new Official Extra Life Podcast. For our first episode we're covering a recap of 2014 as well as a few updates on plans we're laying in for 2015. This week, join Rick, Mike, Liz and Doc for a 30 minute catch-up. Pardon the sound quality and lack of sizzle. We're about to launch 24 guilds and didn't want to wait for all of the shiny stuff before we got this info out to you!

This week, we covered:
Extra Life United Recap
Some improvements we want to make to your EL Experience
What this podcast could end up being
How to get in touch with us
2015 Guild Launches
... and more!
Download the file here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/extralife4...isode_0001.mp3

Jack Gardner
We are all at a loss today. Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo, is no longer with us. Nintendo officially released notice of his death today, noting that the sudden passing of the 55-year-old executive was the result of complications during surgery to remove a bile duct tumor. 

There are a lot of quotes and stories being exchanged in the world of gaming today. Many of the quotes are snappy and concise. Many of the stories are great testaments to Iwata's humility and character. However, we are all at a loss. There are no quotes, no stories, that can replace the man. 

Satoru Iwata built many of our childhoods in a profound way. He created Balloon Fight and EarthBound. He helped design Mario, Kirby, and Zelda titles. Along with Masahiro Sakurai, Iwata constructed the prototype for Super Smash Bros. He worked in the trenches, developing and designing games into his 40s. Without Iwata, video games would be a dimmer medium. 

In an era where many have become cynical and disillusioned with video game companies and the familiar PR lines, Satoru Iwata stood out. Instead of going bigger and flashier with Nintendo press conferences, he took them smaller and more intimate, using technology to talk directly to each person who supported Nintendo. He opened up Nintendo to the public, a company that had fiercely guarded its secrets and privacy. He changed the way a staple of the video game industry talked with its fans. That's incredible.

Satoru Iwata was the kind of man who was willing to leave the corporate office and spend weeks personally fixing bugs and looking over code to make sure Super Smash Bros. Melee released on time. As CEO, Iwata took a 50% pay cut to allow people at Nintendo to keep their jobs. Throughout his life, Satoru Iwata displayed impeccable decency, dedication, and joy. Those things shown through in his work, the games he poured his life into, the games we played and laughed and bonded over. 

How do you properly send off someone like that? How do you say goodbye? 

The man was more than a corporate suit, more than a meme, and more than a creator of idle pastimes. People formed friendships over the fun infused into his games. Kids grew up with childhoods that were that much happier because they had spent time with his work. I believe that his good labor made us all better people and that his death leaves a little hole in all of us. In truth, there is no proper way to say goodbye. The world is a poorer place without Iwata. His effort meant so much to so many and now he is gone. 

Satoru Iwata leaves behind a legacy filled with countless smiles and happy memories. Some of those smiles and memories are mine and that's why I find myself wishing so hard that I was writing a story about a new Iwata banana meme instead of an obituary. It hurts when we lose someone with a good heart and Satoru Iwata had one of the best.

Thank you, Iwata-san. May God watch over you as you rest in peace. We'll keep smiling for you.

Jack Gardner
It has been 25 years since Chip's Challenge debuted on Atari Lynx and Windows 3.1 to resounding success. Players can finally pick it up on Steam as well as the never released sequel, Chip's Challenge 2, this May.

"Wait, Chip's Challenge 2?" I hear some of you cry. That's right. Chuck Sommerville, the creator of Chip's Challenge 1, spent two years developing a sequel, that was subsequently shelved due to funding issues with publishing. 

“When I couldn’t release Chip’s Challenge 2, it hit me really hard. Not only had I spent two years perfecting it, I also felt I’d let down the fans too,” Sommerville said. “I generally thought the only way Chip’s Challenge 2 was ever going to see the light of day was by having my wife leak it on the internet on my death.”

However, after five years of negotiations, Chuck Sommerville will be releasing both Chip's Challenges on Steam with all the unseen levels, Steam trading cards, and the original game code. They will be modernized a bit to allow players to save their progress instead of using the older code system. 

Chip's Challenge 1 and 2 will release on Steam May 29. 

Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!

Jack Gardner
The actor behind Game of Thrones' Tywin Lannister, Charles Dance, will be lending his voice to the character of Emhyr var Emreis in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. As the Emperor of Nilfgaard, Dance's voice conveys the authority and power appropriate to a man who holds the power of life and death over all in his lands. 

The Witcher 3 launches on May 19 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Perhaps players can expect another Rains of Castamere situation?

Don't forget to sign up for Extra Life to help sick and injured kids in hospitals around the US and Canada by playing games!

Jack Gardner
A new 2.5D side-scrolling stealth action platformer from Ubisoft lands tomorrow. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China stars Shao Jun, which fans might already be familiar with from the 2011 animated short "Assassin's Creed: Embers." Shao Jun stands as the last remaining member of the Chinese Brootherhood. Now she returns to her homeland to restore the Assassins and exact her revenge against the people who stole her life. 

Two more titles are planned for the Chronicles series, India and Russia. More details coming on those in the near future. 

This has been a bit of a stealthy lead up to release, following the low-key announcement two weeks ago. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China will be available tomorrow, April 21, on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. 

Jack Gardner
There will also be an open beta beginning May 19. Who else is ready to throw down fisticuffs with the heroes and villains from across Blizzard's history? 

At launch, Heroes of the Storm will contain over thirty playable characters and seven different battlefields. Each battleground will be unique with different goals and challenges. Post-launch, players can expect to see more heroes and maps being added, along with a variety of skins and mounts.

The open beta will follow the conclusion of the Heroes of the Dorm collegiate eSports tournament. Students from over 400 schools will be participating with hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition on the line. The championship will be held on April 26 at the Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall in LA. It will also be televised live in prime time on ESPN. More details should be available as the event approaches.

Heroes of the Storm will be launching on June 2 for PC.