Updated: Netflix and Nintendo Possibly Working on Live-Action Legend of Zelda Series - Gaming News - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Updated: Netflix and Nintendo Possibly Working on Live-Action Legend of Zelda Series

Jack Gardner

Zelda2hd-970.jpg

Update: 03/24/2015 

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata gave an interview to Time Magazine touching on a number of topics, but, sadly, Iwata poured some cold water on the rumors of a live-action Legend of Zelda series in the works with Netflix. 

Iwata said, “As of now, I have nothing new to share with you in regard to the use of our IPs for any TV shows or films, but I can at least confirm that the article in question is not based on correct information." While this is certain to be disappointing news to some, it doesn't necessarily mean that Nintendo is ruling out the possibility of  creating a miniseries based off of their IP, especially given their upcoming foray into mobile development. 

Original Story: 02/06/2015 

Yep, you read that headline right. We might be seeing a live-action Legend of Zelda series sometime in the near future.

The Wall Street Journal reported today that an unidentified source confirmed that Netflix and Nintendo were in the early stages of creating an online series set in Hyrule about a boy named Link who must rescue a princess named Zelda. Netflix reportedly describes the show as "Game of Thrones but for a family audience."

The source said that Netflix is in the process of finding writers for the show, so a live-action Legend of Zelda series is probably a year or more away from becoming a reality. Now, this is all effectively rumor since no one has been able to confirm with either Netflix or Nintendo that they're in the process of making this show. If it is real, there's an equally real possibility that the project will never see the light of day, killed off by either Netflix or Nintendo. Still, imagining what a series like this would be like is certainly interesting.

I mean, for goodness sake, if IGN can cobble together a fake live-action trailer for an April Fools Day prank, then I have to think that Netflix and Nintendo pooling their talents and resources together could make something truly amazing. Obviously, it is way too early to get any hopes up, but I think I already am overly hopeful about this becoming a real thing. 

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.