UPDATE: Flappy Bird Flaps No More - Gaming News - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

UPDATE: Flappy Bird Flaps No More

Jack Gardner

flappy-bird-970.jpg

UPDATE: Dong Nguyen has clarified why he decided to pull the plug on the latest mobile sensation.

Nguyen gave an interview to Forbes that confirmed that Flappy Bird is gone forever and won't be coming back. Why did he decide to take his game off the app market? Turns out he did it as a form of public service. Nguyen stated during the interview that, "Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed, but it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, it’s best to take down Flappy Bird." Prior to taking down the game Nguyen couldn't sleep due to the guilt he felt over people's uncontrollable urge to play his game. When asked if he might regret his decision, he responded, “I don’t think it’s a mistake. I have thought it through.”

Certainly this has been a very interesting situation, what do you think of Nguyen's stance on the success of his game? Can a game be too successful?

Original Story: On Sunday, Dong Nguyen, the creator of the popular mobile game Flappy Bird tweeted that "he couldn't take this anymore" and that he would be taking it down within the next 22 hours. Today, Flappy Bird is no longer available on the Android or iOS.

Flappy Bird met with massive success following its release, but left Nguyen feeling alienated and he eventually grew to hate the game. People can only speculate as to why Nguyen decided to take down Flappy Bird, but it could have to do with the harassment he received from "fans" or from the press coverage that disrupted his life.

What will Dong Nguyen do post-Flappy Bird? His final tweet following the Flappy Bird take down announcement is simply, "And I still make games." We'll all look forward to whatever he makes next.

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.