Sign in to follow this  

The Tetris Movie Is Now a Trilogy from the Guy Who Directed Foodfight!

Jack Gardner

tetris-970.jpg

The film based on Tetris, one of the best selling video games of all time, was announced back in 2014. Since then, it has gone through some changes and will now feature a story so sweeping that it requires a full trilogy to tell, reports Empire. The film trilogy is being brought to life by Threshold Entertainment, the company founded by Larry Kasanoff who will be producing the trio of Tetris movies. 

When asked why the story of Tetris required not one, or two, but three films, Kasanoff responded, "purely because the story we conceived is so big. This isn’t us splitting the last one of our eight movies in two to wring blood out of the stone. It’s just a big story." Kasanoff also revealed some tidbits about what exactly the studio has in mind for the now epic tale of Tetris, or rather what it isn't going to be, saying, "we’re not going to have blocks with feet running around the movie, but it’s great that people think so. It sets the bar rather low!"

The bar is set rather low, indeed. Larry Kasanoff is best known for his work bringing the Mortal Kombat series to the big screen in a collection of embarrassingly bad films. Beyond those, however, Kasanoff directed Foodfight! the incredibly infamous animated film starring various mascots found on the packaging of name brand supermarket foods. 

The theme of the Tetris films will echo Kasanoff's original epiphany when thinking about Tetris, that of "creating order out of chaos." Kasanoff wants to preserve the air of mystery surrounding what exactly the story of Tetris will be, so he concluded by saying, "I guarantee you it’s not what you think. No one has come remotely close to figuring out what we’re doing."

Casting for the film series is already in full swing and Kasanoff has said that they have a big eye on the potential marketability of the project in China. With the budget for the first Tetris moving hovering at $80 million, they had better hope those markets prove profitable.

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

My guess...it is going to be a spy type movie where the rebels need to build a wall to keep out the evil Nazi's...which could easily be stretched into a zombie alien robot nazi movie from Mars. Curious to see how close my guess is though if its anything like the picture I have in my head...I might actually pay to see it! ;) 

Share this comment

It will be a dark and complex drama about a seemingly disparate group of people born into a cruel and confusing world. Throughout the trilogy, they discover their similarities and unite to find order in chaos.

...starring Charlie Sheen.

Share this comment

Six minutes and 48 seconds is all you need for a proper Tetris movie. Nothing will beat this historical drama.

• Like 1

Share this comment