Sign in to follow this  

The Darwin Project Throws Its Hat Into the Battle Royale Genre Ring

Joseph Knoop

darwin 970.jpg

Xbox and Microsoft seem to be throwing not one but two battle royale-style games onto their consoles in the near future. The Darwin Project, from the relatively new Scavenger Studios, aims to throw players into an ice cold ring full of equally cold enemies.

Featuring cartoonish graphics, the staged demo showed off a player hunting down an unsuspecting player in the game's snowy combat arena, which is shared by six other players and A.I. wildlife. The player can scavenge for resources like wood in order to make items, like a bow or shield. Alliances may even be formed, though Scavengers Studios implies they'll only be temporary. Check out the trailer for an in-depth look.

Scavengers Studios also released details on the Darwin Project's "Director Mode," which allows one player to manipulate the game for the contestants. The director can initiate manhunts by briefly revealing a player's location, restricting zones, or even calling in airstrikes. Scavengers Studios also plan to release a mode that lets stream viewers play a role in the contest.

What do you make of this battle royal game? Does it feel like it can compete with the like of Battlegrounds?

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

They definitely hinted toward Mixer integration but I am super curious if they will include Twitch and/or other platforms as well. From the Microsoft stand point...probably good business to keep it to Mixer...but then again from Scavengers Studios stand point...it might be nice to have 10 plus size the viewing audience that Mixer has by opening it up to all platforms. Will be keeping an eye on this title in the future as well...

Share this comment

I primarily stream on YouTube, so I'd love functionality there. That said, I think this will find a nice place in the arena of PvP battlegrounds. It's cartoony look, Hunger Games vibe, and sci-fi ascetic makes me think it might find a place for people who aren't into the hardcore realism of other games. 

Share this comment