Sign in to follow this  

Story Trailer for Final Fantasy XV Film Kingsglaive Hits the Internet

Jack Gardner

Kingsglaive1-970.jpg

Square Enix seems to be trying to pull off all the tie-ins it can manage with Final Fantasy XV. They prominently touted an ongoing anime mini-series composed of six episodes had a positive reception on the internet (or rather five episodes and a sixth exclusive to the Ultimate Collector's Edition of Final Fantasy XV). Apps that connect to the in-game world of XV like the mobile pinball title Justice Monsters Five are slated for release alongside the full game. Plus, we've had a number of playable demos packaged with other titles. Now the feature film Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV is on the horizon.

In the announcement accompanying the release of the global story trailer, director Takeshi Nozue explains that, "Kingsglaive stands on its own and can be enjoyed without knowledge of the previous games. But if you play Final Fantasy XV there are many references in the game that you wouldn’t necessarily understand without watching the film." He goes on to explain that the themes of Kingsglaive relate to leadership and what it means to be a just king. Whereas people working on Final Fantasy XV have stated that the game examines the bond between men and brotherhood, Kingsglaive delves into the bond between father and son.

The plot to Kingsglaive follows the events leading up to the events of Final Fantasy XV. Noctis' father, King Regis, and his elite guard fight against the encroaching Empire to save his kingdom and family after a peace deal goes horribly wrong.

A star-studded cast has been assembled to tell the animated tale of Kingsglaive. Sean Bean plays King Regis; Lena Headey portrays princess Luna; and Aaron Paul makes sure villains are breaking bad as Nyx, a member of the titular Kingsglaive knights.

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV explodes into select theaters on August 19. Those who can't manage to make it to the theater to see it can watch the film on PlayStation Video beginning on August 30. 

Final Fantasy XV itself releases on September 30 for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I watch a lot of bad CGI action movies, so I’m a bit skeptical. Ugh, generic, Hollywood, *insert Requiem for a Dream theme here,* action movie trailer…

I really hope it turns out well though because, despite my cynicism, I’ve been waiting for Square Enix to make another movie for more than a decade. Hearing that the Advent Children team is involved and Takeshi Nozue is directing gives me some hope that it will be awesome.

• Like 1

Share this comment