While many know Humble Bundle for its charity game bundles, they also put together bundles of books in the Humble Book Bundle. This month, titled 'The Joy of Coding,' sixteen books on coding are available. $1+ frees five books, $8+ releases six additional books, and $15+ unlocks the final five books of the bundle.
- Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners by Al Sweigart
- The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction by William E. Shotts, Jr.
- Learn You A Haskell for Great Good! by Miran Lipovača
- Learn You Some Erlang for Great Good! by Fred Hébert
- The Book of F#: Breaking Free with Managed Functional Programming by Dave Fancher
- Land of Lisp: Learn to Program in Lisp, One Game at a Time! by Conrad Barski, M.D.
- Realm of Racket: Learn to Program, One Game at a Time! by Matthias Felleisen, David Van Horn, Conrad Barski, M.D.
- Write Great Code, Volume 1: Understanding the Machine by Randall Hyde
Python Playground: Geeky Projects for the Curious Programmer by Mahesh Venkitachalam
Think Like a Programmer: An Introduction to Creative Problem Solving by V. Anton Spraul
The Art of R Programming: A Tour of Statistical Software Design by Norman Matloff
Clojure for the Brave and True: Learn the Ultimate Language and Become a Better Programmer by Daniel Higginbotham
Write Great Code, Volume 2: Thinking Low-Level, Writing High-Level by Randall Hyde
By default, the bundle benefits the Electronic Frontier Foundation. However, every Humble Bundle now comes with the option to select the charity of your choice to benefit from what you pay for the bundle. Just click the big Choose Your Own Charity button at the bottom of the bundle's page and search Extra Life to benefit Extra Life with your purchase! This can be done with every Humble Bundle, too.
This is a pretty fantastic opportunity for those interested in game development or software design to obtain some learning materials on the cheap. Often coding text books or lesson guides can prove to be expensive, but the Joy of Coding Bundle seems to cover a wide variety of topics in some impressive depth. For the cost of one of these text books, you can both donate to Extra Life and obtain not one, but sixteen textbooks to satisfy your curiosity and further your understanding.
Humble Indie Bundle 17 is also in full swing this month! The video game bundle includes: Lethal League, The Beginner's Guide, Galak-Z, Nuclear Throne, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, SUPER TIME FORCE ULTRA, and more before the month is up. As with the book bundle, those interested in the Humble Indie Bundle can select Extra Life as their charity of choice.