Sign in to follow this  

Nintendo Set to Launch Mini NES This November

Jack Gardner

NES_Classic_1-1-970.jpg

What was old is new again. Nintendo has announced plans to release a miniature collector's edition Nintendo Entertainment System this holiday season. Set to launch on November 11, the NES Classic Edition is a compact machine for the digital age. The device retails for $60 and relies on a pre-installed digital library rather than cartridges. No more blowing into cart slots and praying to the deities of electronics. The NES Classic Edition comes packaged with 30 titles from the NES library, one NES Classic controller, an HDMI cable, and an AC adapter. If players want to experience retro co-op in the titles of the digital library, they will have to spend an additional $10 on a second NES Classic controller.   

“We wanted to give fans of all ages the opportunity to revisit Nintendo’s original system and rediscover why they fell in love with Nintendo in the first place,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and COO. “The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition is ideal for anyone who remembers playing the NES, or who wants to pass on those nostalgic memories to the next generation of gamers.”

NES_Classic_2-970.jpg

Each title included with the mini NES comes with the ability to suspend play and resume later without losing progress, a welcome feature for those who didn't grow up with the NES to be sure. The complete roster of titles included in the NES Classic Edition is listed below:

• Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr. 
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga™
  • Ghosts ’N Goblins
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Mario Bros. 
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

As a nice compatibility bonus, the NES Classic controller can be connected to the Wii Remote and used to play Virtual Console titles, too.

Is the NES Classic Edition worth the price as a machine or a collectible? Is it enough to bring that nostalgia washing back? What do you think?

• Like 1
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I'll be purchasing the controller to use on my WiiU, but I don't think it's a nice enough selection to convince me to buy the whole unit for $60. Each of those games is already available on Wii(U) or 2/3DS virtual console. It's a good deal for the full package, but I feel like this is more for folks that either aren't regular gamers or just haven't been paying attention to Nintendo lately.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if I find it under my Christmas tree. I would not object to that.

If they ever release a SNES one, or a limited edition Famicom one, all bets are off.

Share this comment