New Nintendo Switch Console Coming March 2017 - Gaming News - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

New Nintendo Switch Console Coming March 2017

Jack Gardner

UJyaEvR9sqg00_dZoLE4Y3KitI8AShqa-970.jpg

Nintendo's NX console was unveiled as the Nintendo Switch, a console that can also be used as a mobile gaming device. The console appears to maintain full functionality whether snugly in the Nintendo Switch Dock or taken out on the go. Gamers will be able to take the console with them and play local multiplayer splitscreen games. The launch video shows this in action with a Mario Kart title and hints that it is possible to locally link multiple mobile Switch systems for larger group multiplayer.

When in mobile mode, two Joy-Con controllers can slide onto either side of the console screen to become a more traditional controller interface or they can be detached and wielded in both hands for single player or shared between two players for multiplayer. Of course, more than two Joy-Con controllers can be linked to the console for larger multiplayer gatherings. If the Joy-Cons aren't really appealing, gamers can use the Nintendo Switch Pro controllers for gameplay more like the Switch's Xbox One or PS4 counterparts.

“Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like,” said Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's president and COO. “It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries.”

Nintendo wants development for the Switch to be as simple as possible and will supposedly allow devs to design playstyles they think most appropriate for their game. The brief product trailer shows the Switch playing a variety of titles, most notably The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Nintendo has released a list of companies that will be working to release titles for the Switch. Below you can see the full list:

• 505 Games

• Activision Publishing

• ARC SYSTEM WORKS

• ATLUS 

• Audiokinetic

• Autodesk

• BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

• Bethesda

• CAPCOM

• Codemasters

• CRI Middleware

• DeNA

• Electronic Arts

• Epic Games

• Firelight Technologies

• FromSoftware

• Frozenbyte

• GameTrust

• GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE

• Gungho Online Entertainment

• HAMSTER Corporation

• Havok

• INTI CREATES

• KOEI TECMO GAMES

• Konami Digital Entertainment

• LEVEL-5 

• Marvelous

• Maximum Games

• Nippon Ichi Software

• Parity Bit

• PlatinumGames

• RAD Game Tools

• RecoChoku

• SEGA

• Silicon Studio Corporation

• Spike Chunsoft

• SQUARE ENIX

• Starbreeze Studios

• Take-Two Interactive Software

• Telltale Games

• THQ Nordic

• Tokyo RPG Factory

• TT Games

• UBISOFT

• Ubitus

• Unity Technologies

• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

• Web Technology Corp

While today's tease might not be the full-blown reveal that many Nintendo fans might have wanted, Nintendo wants to assure them that more information is on the way. More will be shown and announced in the form of full game demonstrations, the list of launch window titles, the precise launch date, price, product configuration, and related specifics prior to the March launch next year.

• Like 2
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I actually really love this. I haven't always agreed or seen the point of all of Nintendo's innovations, but I can stand behind this one.

I hope the functionality/specs/ease of use are all there - the launch video was really cool.

It appeals to me because I don't really play mobile consoles - I just use my phone when I want to play a game on the go. But with this I would have more interest because I can continue a game I was invested in at home without lugging around the whole console while traveling in order to play it again.

Looking forward to more details!

• Like 1

Share this comment