Sign in to follow this  

Miitomo's Success Spurs More Mobile Apps from Nintendo

Jack Gardner

Miitomo-970.jpg.ba688bc91f9b79df79acbc8e

Alongside the bombshell news of a new console release date, Nintendo quietly touted its Miitomo numbers and revealed plans for future mobile games. 

Nintendo reports that Miitomo has reached over 10 million people around the world since its launch in Japan on March 17 and elsewhere on March 31. Those 10 million users have had over 300 million conversations within the app, which might seem like a slightly creepy statistic to have, but it does show the level of interaction users are having via Miitomo. On top of that, users have made use of Miifoto, the in-app meme creation tool that can create images and share them over social media, over 20 million times. To celebrate the app's success, Nintendo is running a 10-day special within Miitomo from April 29-May 8.

In the wake of those numbers, Nintendo has announced two new mobile apps. One will be based on Fire Emblem and the other will relate to Animal Crossing. Both apps will release this fall as what Nintendo calls "pure game applications." The Fire Emblem app will be presenting itself as a role-playing strategy game with the goal of being more accessible than the main Fire Emblem entries on dedicated Nintendo platforms. Meanwhile, the Animal Crossing app will have some sort of integration into other Animal Crossing titles, perhaps offering a similar experience to what players could have if they connected their Game Boy Advances to their GameCubes with the original Animal Crossing. Nintendo promises that those who play both the Animal Crossing app and the core game "will find increased enjoyment."

More information will be released about the apps closer to their release this fall, but Nintendo really emphasized that these new apps will be games closer to what they have on 3DS than what Miitomo offered.   

• Like 2
  Report Article
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

"More information will be released about the apps closer to their release this fall, but Nintendo really emphasized that these new apps will be games closer to what they have on 3DS than what Miitomo offered."

Oh thank goodness, I pretty burned out on Miitomo right away. 

Share this comment

I become quickly addicted to Miitomo lol

I agree it lost its luster pretty quickly, but I still login every day heh. I'm just glad more apps are on the way!

• Like 1

Share this comment