Sign in to follow this  

It's Official - BioShock: The Collection Coming This September

Jack Gardner

bioshock_collection-970.jpg

After months of teasing, 2K confirmed today that a complete collection of remastered BioShock games will be making its way to retailers. BioShock came out almost a decade ago, so the update will significantly revamp one of the definitive series of the last generation. The collection includes all three BioShock titles, all single-player DLC, all scaled up to the current generation of technology.

As Irrational Games has undergone a break from 2K and been radically restructured under series creator Ken Levine, 2K has partnered with Blind Squirrel Games, which has been involved in the creation of games like Borderlands 2, Sunset Overdrive, and BioShock: Infinite.  

The bundle includes a lot of goodies that may be of interest to BioShock fans that they might not get to see anywhere else. A never before seen video series called Director's Commentary: Imagining BioShock which features Ken Levine, creative director of BioShock and BioShock: Infinite, and Shawn Robertson, the animation lead on the same titles. 

BioShockTC_Bio2_AdonisLuxuryResort Level.jpg

In addition to the core games, DLC and exclusives that have been in other editions of BioShock releases will be included in the remasters. BioShock will include Museum of Orphaned Concepts, a digital museum of the different ideas the team at Irrational altered or scrapped as they worked on the original title - unique to the double pack release of BioShock and BioShock 2, and Challenge Rooms, a series of enemy encounters and puzzles with achievement rewards. BioShock 2 will not be including its multiplayer mode or DLC, but it will come along with the Minerva's Den story DLC and the Protector's Trials, which places your in the suit of an Alpha Big Daddy prior to the events of BioShock 2. BioShock: Infinite comes with the excellent Burial at Sea story DLC packs, the Clash in the Clouds survival mode, and the Columbia's Finest Pack, which awards additional in-game resources and weapons.

2K noted in its reveal that the PC version of BioShock Infinite isn't being remastered "because it already meets current-gen console standards and runs smoothly on high visual settings."

BioShock: The Collection will release on September 13 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC.   

• Like 1
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I don't know why we need HD versions of games, but I am glad we have them. 

I loved these games. Yes, even Infinite. I don't understand the hate of that game. 

• Like 1

Share this comment

I have been working on a thing about Infinite for the past couple years that just keeps getting longer and longer. I think it's a masterpiece.

• Like 1

Share this comment

4 hours ago, Jack Gardner said:

I have been working on a thing about Infinite for the past couple years that just keeps getting longer and longer. I think it's a masterpiece.

I am so glad to hear that. I like you even more now. #besties

• Like 1

Share this comment

17 hours ago, herobyclicking said:

I loved these games. Yes, even Infinite. I don't understand the hate of that game. 

I thought Infinite was possibly the best of the three. 

• Like 2

Share this comment

1 hour ago, dmpaskiet said:

I thought Infinite was possibly the best of the three. 

Hugs!!!

I made two friends today. Achievement Unlocked. 

• Like 2

Share this comment

On 7/1/2016 at 1:40 AM, herobyclicking said:

PSH I didn't even know there was hate around Infinite haha I guess I was too busy enjoying the awesome to notice.

I'm hoping with this release comes new merch lol I need more Bioshock goodies in my life.

• Like 2

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Mokinns said:

I'm hoping with this release comes new merch lol I need more Bioshock goodies in my life.

I have always wanted one of those Songbird plushies. They are so cute!

• Like 1

Share this comment

14 hours ago, Jack Gardner said:

I have always wanted one of those Songbird plushies. They are so cute!

Same!! I never got one because it was so dark in color  - I was being a snob and didn't think it was close enough to the actual Songbird haha

• Like 2

Share this comment

I'm hyped for the Collection, though given its timing the $60 price tag might be a tad too rich for my blood. I'll have to see how my budget looks before purchase.

In terms of the reception, personally, I really dug the game and I found it to have a lot of really cool ideas and concepts in it. However, I also think Ken Levine and co. got a bit too carried away with themselves. They tried to do a bit too much with it, even if it didn't really fit the setting. For example, I loved the powers, but unlike Rapture the abilities really don't feel thematically appropriate for Columbia. Oh, gameplay-wise they're fantastic, but it feels like the nature in which they were included was to make sure it "felt like a Bioshock game", so to speak. I would have preferred if they were the product of some sort of trickery performed by Comstock, where select members of the population were "blessed" with the ability rather than it being a commercial product.

Simultaneously, the game got a lot of flack for its abundance of action. This is going to be one of those iffy things where you have people talking Ludonarrative Dissonance and "murder simulators" and the inevitable discourse that goes into personal taste. Personally, I'm not bothered by it, but I can see why some would be, particularly given a lot of the game's messages regarding violence.

However, I think that's part of what makes Infinite great. In the end, Brooke is the concept of the first-person character personified: the only way he knows to solve problems is through violence. This plays out mechanically and factors in narratively, and kind of makes an amusing juxtaposition to the new Doom marine that wears that fact like a badge.

In the end, I really liked Infinite, but it wasn't perfect and had plenty of clunk to go around. But I think a lot of reviewers also expected one thing only to find they got something different, and naturally that disappointed them.

Share this comment