No, it isn't an official update to Half-Life 2, but Filip Victor's community developed mod does dramatically improve the lighting effects and fix countless bugs. Expect to see new particles, redone shadows, and fog effects.
The mod comes along with a community commentary mode that delves into Half-Life 2's history. The commentary features familiar voices and fact checking from Did You Know Gaming? as well as the creator of Freeman's Mind.
The steam page for the free mod lists these features:
- Complete lighting overhaul including enhanced lighting, more detailed world shadows, and full High Dynamic Range Lighting (HDR).
- New particle effects and improved fog.
- Countless bug fixes, correcting both visual and game-based issues.
- An extensive Community Commentary Mode featuring the voices of well-known Youtubers, including Caddicarus, Brutalmoose, Ricepirate, Balrog the Master, ProJared, and Ross Scott from Freeman's Mind .
- Retains the iconic Half-Life 2 visual style and gameplay.
Half-Life 2: Update releases in about 23 hours, so screenshots and comparison videos will have to tide you over until then.