Company Creates Drone for Pokémon Go - Gaming News - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Company Creates Drone for Pokémon Go

Jack Gardner

pokedrone.jpg

As Pokémon Go sweeps the world in an unprecedented wave of mobile app popularity, some people bemoan their inability to catch 'em all. To that end, many people are getting creative with various business ventures. Pokémon Go egg walking services to have been posted to Craigslist, Uber drivers are advertising their abilities to shuttle players around as they catch Pokémon, and businesses near Pokéstops are buying lures to bring not only the Pokémon, but also the customers. TRNDlabs, a tech development firm, has taken possibly the largest step toward easing the public's insatiable appetite for pocket monsters with the Pokédrone.

The Pokédrone is exactly what it sounds like: A drone that you can fly around to help you catch Pokémon. The controller for the drone attaches to your mobile device and transmits wirelessly connects your phone to the drone. After that, GPS will register your Pokémon Go position as that of the drone, allowing access to otherwise impossibly accessed Pokémon. It's a pretty neat idea, though the viability of it depends heavily on what price point TRNDlabs sets the Pokédrone. Their other commercially available drones range from $40-$100. 

TRNDlabs hasn't given the drone's release date as of yet. However, when it does hit the market, we will all have to ask ourselves to what lengths we will go to catch 'em all.

• Like 1
Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

*sigh* Heavens forbid anyone goes for a walk to catch Pokémon. -_- 

Although, there could be some good in this. It would be fantastic for gamers with mobility issues (like the writer of this article) who wouldn't normally get to play! :)

• Like 1

Share this comment

Would this technically be considered GPS spoofing? I mean its not like its very far though. Still think its kinda skeevy and might be against Niantic's TOS...

Share this comment

35 minutes ago, cptjecht said:

Would this technically be considered GPS spoofing? I mean its not like its very far though. Still think its kinda skeevy and might be against Niantic's TOS...

I think technically, yes, which is definitely against Niantic's rules, but if they were interested in helping people, they could introduce something that can tag certain players as exempt if they're say, confined to a wheel chair. I just think it would be really cool to allow people to reach locations that are nearby that might not be accessible, so let's hope I'm not the only one.  

• Like 2

Share this comment

I'm actually really pumped about this. It's kind of the perfect idea (though I do also see the potential down-sides).

I'd get one in a heartbeat. My area has 0 wifi because I live around a bunch of farms, so I have to walk pretty far just to get out of dead zones. This would help on days that I can't drive 20 minutes to town just to get to humanity LOL

Don't get me wrong - I agree that people should keep on walking and playing as intended, but some areas are hard to traverse- especially when it's company/private property or just in an inconvenient location. Not only that, but it would allow people to play at home as well. I'm sure the range on this won't be that crazy, so I wouldn't expect it to take over the walking aspect completely. People will walk and drone all day.

But if it does violate TOS and there is a restriction put on it, I totally agree that it should be opened up for people with disabilities. Kind of like the idea of those petitions about driving - you would be able to turn on or off the restrictions if you were a passenger in a car.

• Like 1

Share this comment