Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Releasing this Fall, Original Modern Warfare Remastered - Gaming News - Extra Life Community Hub Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Releasing this Fall, Original Modern Warfare Remastered

Jack Gardner

InfiniteWar1-970.jpg.c41bc7ed6cd5f88ad69

Though many joked that the next Call of Duty would be in space, Call of Duty is actually going into space with the latest incarnation of the franchise. Touting Infinite Warfare as a return to the franchise roots, Infinity Ward's new entry into the series pits players against the Settlement Defense Front following a surprise attack on Earth. Gameplay shown during the trailer shows players piloting fighters from Earth into space and having orbital dogfights, fighting hand to hand in space, and setting foot on what seem to be alien planets. The cast seems to be surprisingly diverse with men and women of different racial backgrounds under fire as the supporting crew.  

Not only that, but those who pre-order the Legacy or Digital Deluxe editions of Infinite Warfare will receive Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, a complete rehaul of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the game that catapulted Call of Duty to its current heights. The remade Call of Duty 4 from the ground up! That's the good news.

Unfortunately, there is also bad news. First, it's worth noting that the remastered version will only have 10 of the original's multiplayer maps. The real kicker seems to be that there are currently no plans to release Modern Warfare Remastered as a standalone title. The only way that Activision seems to be making it available is through pre-ordering the Legacy, Legacy Pro, or Digital Deluxe editions of Infinite Warfare. It seems that Activision is tying Remastered and Infinite Warfare together, so that even if they do make it available outside of pre-orders, Infinite Warfare will still be required to play Modern Warfare Remastered. 

MWRemastered-970.jpg.2ee98147e81c02a23c7

This is a strange move by Activision and I can't help but think that it is a temporary cash grab. It makes no sense to not sell the remastered version of one of the most influential games of all time by itself. The only way this seems like a good way to make money is to tout it as a pre-order bonus, rake in those sweet, sweet, pre-order numbers, wait for a bit after Infinite Warfare releases, and then release Modern Warfare Remastered as a standalone title. 

Whatever the shady business going on behind the scenes, I am actually really impressed with Infinite Warfare's reveal. Initially I rolled my eyes, but the trailer with its swelling version of David Bowie's "Space Oddity," interesting locations, intriguing tech, and glimpses of characters eventually won me over. I'm a big sucker for action set in outer space and since Star Wars Battlefront is surprisingly lacking in that area, maybe Infinite Warfare can scratch that itch. I also wouldn't mind trekking through the incredible Call of Duty 4 all over again, either. 

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare releases November 4 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Sign in to follow this  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.