zopie

Tax receipt for smaller donations

Question

If I missed something obvious, plz send me the link.

Everything on the Extra Life page says tax receipts are sent for donations over $250.

I'm running a game day where the public is invited for $5/person.  If someone pays cash and I fill out the form (or enter the donation in the online form), will they get an IRS receipt? I got an emailed receipt for a $20 online donation last year. 

I wish this was written out a lot clearer. 

What is the best practice so the donor gets their tax credit?  Even for smaller cash donations

thanks!

4 answers to this question

12 hours ago, zopie said:

If I missed something obvious, plz send me the link.

Everything on the Extra Life page says tax receipts are sent for donations over $250.

I'm running a game day where the public is invited for $5/person.  If someone pays cash and I fill out the form (or enter the donation in the online form), will they get an IRS receipt? I got an emailed receipt for a $20 online donation last year. 

I wish this was written out a lot clearer. 

What is the best practice so the donor gets their tax credit?  Even for smaller cash donations

thanks!

Hey @zopie!

Once these donations are made in Donor Drive (whichever participant page you are using) a receipt is sent to the person for their records. That receipt would suffice for their tax credit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, herobyclicking said:

Hey @zopie!

Once these donations are made in Donor Drive (whichever participant page you are using) a receipt is sent to the person for their records. That receipt would suffice for their tax credit. 

Awesome! Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pengi said:

How small of a donation can they donate to get the tax reduction in the first place? Any?

In most situations, any amount donated is eligible as a charitable donation. It's worth noting of course, that an individual (or organization) must properly claim these in accordance to Federal and State law when filing taxes. 

• Like 1