stevekrusel    27

Hey Guys,

Since AX was the guild's first time working with a very large booth I thought it would be a good idea to start a conversation about what worked and what didn't work so well. So let's hear what you all think about how things went!!

• Like 1

stevekrusel    27

I guess I'll kick things off.

Things that worked well:

• The smash tournaments were a big draw and helped drive donations and sign-ups
  • The same was true for the Mario Kart Table
  •  The partnership with Maple Story brought a fresh audience to the booth.

Things that didn't work as well:

• The table top area was somewhat underused.
  • The Photo Booth didn't really draw as many cosplayers as we'd hoped.

I have some thoughts on how to improve this stuff going forward but I'm going to save that for later so that I don't bias anyone else's opinions.

• Like 2

Ashenlily    4

Chiming in! 

What worked well:

• Smash Tournament
  • Open console gaming
  • Letters to kids

Things to improve

• Tabletop gaming area
    • More games, chairs, separate area from letters for kids
  • Photography booth
    • Needed more exposure/advertising.Looked more like a general backdrop for the booth and not a photo booth. Maybe make/use a more legitimate photo booth with props, hats, etc
  • Placement of consoles/projectors, etc
    • We brought in a lot of people but had a hard time fitting folks into the space
  • Booth could use pseudo-walls in back and on sides to keep people from walking through mindlessly 
  • Sign-up booth placement
    • People were walking into booth without knowing what it was for
      • Bigger/longer table or centered table may help
        • Smaller booth opening so people have to at least see the Extra Life signage

If I think of anything else, I'll post again. 

-Ash

• Like 2

SavageAce    36

I agree with most of what was mentioned above. However, one thing I'd like to ask is. How effective do we think the tournaments were for our purpose? It helped draw a large crowd, but how much of that crowd became registrants or donated? Is it possible we lost traffic in and out of the booth due to tournament spectators just taking up space? Could we have done anything more to convert the spectators? I wasn't there most of the time, so I'm not sure what the answers to these questions are or what more we could do, but I just wanted to pose these questions for consideration.

We also had a lot of unused space due only really having 3 game stations (2 of which took up a lot of room by themselves), maybe we could rotate the games or provide more stations to attract different sets of gamers. 

Letter's to the kids in the hospital was a fantastic idea. I think next time we should train people on what the guideline for the messages should be and consider posting them as well (avoiding get well soon type messages, etc). 

Overall it was a fun booth, drew a lot of people, and it sounds like we got decent signups and donations. 

• Like 1

Ashenlily    4

Good points. Most if not all the contestants had to donate or sign up to enter the tournament but I can't really speak towards the audience. 

• Like 1

stevekrusel    27

Lots of good stuff guys, here's my responses and some of my suggestions.

On the topic of recruiting the crowd, I feel like @Ashenlily did a good job of mentioning and describing Extra Life often while MC'ing the tournaments so that people at least left the tournament learning something about Extra Life. It also felt like most of us working the booth at least tried to reach out to people as they walked in but with such a large crowd it was challenging to catch every single person. Improvements to booth layout might have helped with that; having entrances/exits better defined would have made it easier to control the space.

As far as the crowd hurting turnout/traffic I think its a trade-off. Some will see the crowd and be turned off and avoid the booth but others will want to come see what's going on. One way to mitigate the negative side of this could be to shorten match length and consequently tournament length so that we don't have the crowds hanging around as long.

I think the number of stations at the booth ended up being a result of what guild members volunteered to bring and how folks wanted to contribute. We had a list of gear that we wanted to have at the booth and we only almost got everything we wanted. Specifically, I think we wanted to have a retro set up with like a Retron 5 or something but nobody offered one up. We also had volunteers who had some good ideas about how to 'work the con' that didn't involve working at the booth which resulted in us getting some cool stuff for kids at CHLA but maybe would have made it difficult to keep an eye on another console set up. We probably could have found a way to rotate games at the Switch station though.

As for the booth layout and not having walls I don't totally disagree but you might be surprised how much that venue charges for tables, chairs and stanchions, I know I was. The Guild should definitely invest in extension cords and gaffer tape so we can run cords safely at booths and have more set up options. 

Which brings me to my suggestions for improvement.

1. More people working - we didn't reach our goal of 5 guild members per shift which made it tough to just keep an eye on all the gear much less actually engage with booth visitors.
  2. Clearer direction - As an Eboard member this one is on me as much as anyone but part of the reason some of the parts of the booth didn't work out in my opinion was that people working didn't know what to do with them. In the future we should have a clearer plan for each part of the booth and make sure someone is covering each booth section at all times.
  3. Let visitors stack raffle tickets - We typically offer booth visitors a choice of either donating or registering to receive one raffle ticket. In the future we should offer them a raffle ticket per for each thing we're asking them to do. So a person who both registers and donates gets two raffle tickets for example.

Stephen Krusel,

Secretary - Extra Life Los Angeles

• Like 1

herobyclicking    1,112

Sounds like AX went very well! Nicely done @stevekrusel and @Ashenlily and crew!

In case you didn't know (apologies if you already do!):

Always be mindful of raffles and taking donations at the booth. Be sure to clear these actions with your hospital prior to the event. Raffle laws (considered games of chance) can vary from state, city or county. Taking donations (and best practices therein) is at the discretion of your hospital. 

Additional (albeit unsolicited advice ;) ):

Giveaways are great! But be mindful of why you all "Extra Life". Your testimonial is just as powerful (if not more so) than a tchotchke or prize. Also the extra effort for having tournaments, set up of additional consoles etc, could be better spent focusing on your messaging/pitch. 

Keep up the amazing work LA Guild, you all rock!

PS: How many registrations did you manage to get? Did you use the Offiline Application? Did you label the event AX or something similar? 

• Like 1